Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #261
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think I like it. I’m a little surprised there isn’t a pick/prospect coming back to the Flames, though. Hamilton is a real enigma. I’m kind of happy to see him move on to. Be honest.
I have high hopes that Hanifin will be a better fit here. Im a fan of Lindholm and am ecstatic to see he’s coming to Calgary. I was never a big Ferland guy. The Fox thing bothers me but with Kylington, Andersson and Valamaki in front of him, he maybe saw how tough it was going to be.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #262
Prufrock
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The addition of Fox still annoys me but I like this trade.

Love Dougie but Hanifin is only 21 and has such a high ceiling.

The big add is Lindholm. He's the type of player we need for the Top 6 right side. Fingers crossed he keeps getting better.

Not stoked but not disappointed.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #263
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Threw away fox and ferland for nothing

Complete garbage
Ferland is streaky as ****. Not the kind of guy u need on the top line. We didn't lose on him. If Fox wasn't happy about Calgary, we didn't lose on him either. Hamilton on the other hand is where we lost. A D-man who shoots R that plays top pairing minutes is pretty hard to come I think and he also happens to be the best player in that trade. Treliving probably should have had something else coming back with Hanifin and Lindholm. Even if it was a lower end pick.
Young_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #264
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I guess the better question is will Lindholm score more or less with Johnny / Monahan? That's gotta be the question Tre believes he has answered.

Disappointed to see Fox thrown into this though. I think the deal would have been even without him. I think Tre could have used Fox a bit more advantageously in another deal than to just throw him in for balance.
Come on... obviously Lindholm would score more than Ferland with Monahan/Gaudreau. He's a much better player.

Ferland is a 20 point guy at best if he isn't on the line with Gaudreau/Monahan.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #265
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Guys this is a good trade. Ferland is unrestricted in a year, Fox had signing questions. Ferland and Hamilton had a great seasons so sell high and we are getting two very good/young players! Plus let's see what else Tre has up his sleeve this offseason, he is not done
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gaudreau is a Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #266
I wanna be like Miikka
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually think this is a pretty decent deal for the Flames. Needed a player shakeup in a big way. Hanifin is a stud and as a D will continue to get better as he is still so young. Ferland was OK but I think stats inflated by Johnny and ever since he signed last year he sounded like he wanted to get to UFA to get a big pay day. Lindholm I think will surprise most and if he plays with some high quality linemates will produce more offensively this year.

Losing Fox stinks but maybe there was a signing issue. Who knows with prospects anyway. This is no where near the Phaneuf trade where the Flames got all older depth assets back. In this deal, aside from Fox both guys the Flames got are quite young and should still improve significantly. Flames also benefit from having Peters info on both players, Brad clearly trusts Bill so we'll see how this plays out. Dougie is excellent but I am quite excited to add both Lindholm and Hanifin to the squad as I was not big on Ferland moving forward.
I wanna be like Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I wanna be like Miikka For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #267
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Hanifin and Lindholm make 4.5. That frees up 3 million to sign another player on July 1st.
correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't both Hanifin and Lindholm RFAs? They both need new deals and you surely won't get them for a combined 4.5m.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #268
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t hate it but it is a massive risky blockbuster.

Something off with Dougie. Sold high on Ferland, Fox probably indicated he wasn’t going to sign.

We got a 23 year old right shot C/W and a 21 year old top 4 D with plenty of upside.

Huge risk on the deal but I like it
Echo this.

Easy for us to say it should have been just:
Dougie + Ferland for Hanifin + Lindholm, without Fox, but guessing Canes adamant about having Fox.
Flames must think current D core + their own Swedish Rasmus & Kylington allow them to deal Fox (plus fears of not being able to sign him, possibly/theoretically)

I would have liked to have seen a draft pick (2nd or 3rd even) coming back to the Flames to balance it out, but really happy to get Lindholm and Hanifin.

I recall seeing Hanifin play for the first time (year before he was draft eligible) and was absolutely blown away by his skating. The most elite skating ability I had seen at that age for a dman.

Welcome to YYC Elias & Noah!!!
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cral12 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #269
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau is a Ninja View Post
Guys this is a good trade. Ferland is unrestricted in a year, Fox had signing questions. Ferland and Hamilton had a great seasons so sell high and we are getting two very good/young players! Plus let's see what else Tre has up his sleeve this offseason, he is not done
Thats another thing too. Ferland was going to UFA.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #270
R2theJ
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesforcup View Post
Wow cant believe people are mad at this trade. Hanafin is pretty close to Hamilton and Lindholm is the young RW we desperatly need. Good job selling high on Ferland. Idk why people get attached to these meh prospects like fox and 3rd liners like Ferland. No one else in the league is gonna give u what u expect for those.
Awesome Trade by Brad our team looks great now.
I couldn’t agree more! Lindholm is twice the player Ferland is and Hanifin is 21 and a stud D. Yeah Hamilton is really good but also had rumours of issues in the dressing room... remember he was also traded from Boston and had rumours about his personality. He is skilled but very soft for his size and position. Gio made him look good - remember that. Hanifin has as much potential and 4 years younger...
Ferland was not a top-line RW - to inconsistent and took too many nights off. Lindholm has way more upside and potential. Now we have a first-line RW option.
Fox HAS NEVER PLAYED a game in the NHL - may not have wanted to sign here - So not upset he’s gone
People going nuts is hilarious... comparing to Phaneuf deal is also ridiculous. Hamilton might be the “best player” in the trade today but doubt he will be in the next few years. No Gio to support him in Carolina, I bet he takes a major step back.
R2theJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R2theJ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #271
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland with one year left is a big factor for me
He’s a guy if you resign you are going to overpay and regret
That’s why for me this deal is more like Hanifin and Lindholm for Doug and fox
Just don’t think Ferland is much. Selling high now I’m a fan of
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #272
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Ferland had 21 goals last year. Lindholm has never come that close to 20. Here's hoping, I guess. I just don't get why the Flames are trying so hard to emulate the likes of Carolina and Arizona.
21 goals with Monahan and Gaudreau*
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skaloper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #273
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In my opinion, the Flames won this trade.

Between Hamilton and Ferland, they earn 7.5 million. Hanifin and Lindholm make 4.5. That frees up 3 million to sign another player on July 1st.

Add in that Ferland is basically a 4th line player, where Lindholm is a legit 2nd liner, that is a huge upgrade.

The difference between Hamilton and Hanifin is not that huge. Hanifin scored 10 goals last year, and could easily go on PP1 here and looks like he could be a legitimate replacement for Giordano down the line. Hamilton had a lot of issues.

I don't personally feel that Fox was going to sign here.

I like this trade, I can also see why some people wouldn't.
Uh, Hanifin and Lindholm are both RFA's who are going to get $4.5 each AT LEAST. Total of $9 million AT LEAST.

I like the players coming in, and I'm alright with Hamilton and Ferland going the other way, I just don't get why Fox was included. It makes no sense to me.

Hamilton > Hanifin
Ferland < Lindholm

Fox should be a chip for another deal if he wasn't going to sign.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #274
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think Lindholm is the type of guy I’ve been advocating they get because he’s a good two way player
The other wrinkle is that by getting Hanifin they still can move a d for a f
Really though aren't Backlund and Frolik already two way guys that get plenty of ice time? If you have a lot of two way guys it means you lack scoring talent. He's not much of a goal scorer so I simply don't see how he addresses the teams offensive woes up front. If Bennett and Jankowski don't take off next season this team is going to have a lot of the same issues they had last season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #275
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m actually ok with this. Aside from very brief flashes Ferland brought next to nothing. So essentially we have got two very good young players for Dougie and a prospect who may never have signed.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to soreshins For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #276
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Between Hamilton and Ferland, they earn 7.5 million. Hanifin and Lindholm make 4.5. That frees up 3 million to sign another player on July 1st.
That's what they made, not what they'll make this coming year, which should be in the $10M range.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #277
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Real uppity kid

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #278
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hanifan and Linbolm are both RFAs.

They will make 8+ combined I would think.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #279
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not mad... Hamilton is the best talent, true.

But I'm feeling this isn't just a hockey trade, I think this is about the room too.

Perhaps the Flames are removing two guys who lack 'give a ####' and adding youth and salary flexibility.

It's not coincidence this happens after the Peters hiring.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #280
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post
I mean, I think we overpaid a bit, but I think the trade is not as bad as some are saying here.
Lindholm is better, especially as an all around player than Ferland, younger too.
Hanifin quite possibly could surpass Dougie or at least match him. 21 years old. Lots of room to grow. As well, with Dougie, seems like there is something up with him. 3rd team in his young career already? hmm.
Fox, who knows how he is gonna turn out, probably wasn't going to sign anyway with our D situation. Maybe we could've used him in another trade though. That's the part that gets me, I think.

Locker room probably needed a shake up.
I agree with you that the locker room probably needed a shakeup.

Which is why my first move would have been to jettison the "veteran leader" brought in to shake things up, but who has horrifically underperformed but been gifted prime icetime. If Brouwer had been part of this trade i'd be ok with it.