Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #21
BsFaninCGY
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hi guys and gals,

Wondering how everyone's experience with GCL on AppleTV has been?

I'm a Bruins fan thinking of either going the Center Ice route, or with Game Center.

I love the idea of watching games on my iPad or MacBook, but I also definitely want to make use of my TV. I tried watching a crappy stream using my TV as a second monitor, and I think the choppiness made me seasick lol. Is there any issue with GCL being like that?

If I got CI, I could always get a Slingbox and be able to watch on other devices, but if GCL's quality isn't an issue than I'd be happier to go that way I think.

Any advice?
BsFaninCGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #22
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsFaninCGY View Post
Hi guys and gals,

Wondering how everyone's experience with GCL on AppleTV has been?
It's been rock stable for me; certainly more stable than the iPad app. I've never seen it degrade to a lower bandwidth stream, which the iPad app has a habit of doing for no reason I can discern when they are on the same 100 megabit 5Ghz N connection.

There is a slight frame rate dip when the camera following the play pans quickly on a fast north-south play up or down the ice. I don't find it that bad, probably because I'm used to using GCL on my Macbook for years now. My TV is an Aquos 37", 60Hz refresh rate, but I'm fairly certain its an AppleTV thing, not a television thing. This is probably nothing compared to the motion sickness inducing judder from the poor quality stream you mentioned - I definitely have no issues or complains watching an entire game.

Tags
apple tv , center ice , gamecenter , nhl