Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default NHL 12 General Discussion

NHL 12 starts hitting retails at midnight, so appropriate time to move from a information thread to a hands on discussion thread.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Feels like nearly exactly the same game, except you can bump goalies and a few new skating animations with the puck that I like.

Not worth paying for if you bought NHL 11 IMO.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Team rankings if anyone cares (probably fan-altered to make the game look bad...but might be true):

EA sure smokes some great stuff if it is real...not like I care though...I only play offline, so I can edit the players as much as I need.

EDIT - On further investigation, I suspect the 97 in goaltending for the Canucks gives it away as fake. Keeping it up for giggles though.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

pretty sure those ratings are legit. operation sports posted lots of videos of player ratings and such for people to see.

regarding the canucks, loungo is a 90 and schneider is a 83. you can see all the player ratings in their other videos. not that it matters since the game is out in a few hours.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I buy the game every year and going to pick it up in a couple hours. I easily play it for 60 hours over the course of the year so it is worth it for my $60
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 08:29 PM   #6
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Is it just me or does this game load slow?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Is it just me or does this game load slow?
The first time was very slow. Second time not so much I found. Slow, but standard nhl slow.

Only a couple of games into my Jets dynasty and I'm happy with the game. The offside awareness of your teammates alone is pretty great in my eyes. Love how the puck feels. I'm pleased.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
Pacem
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I only buy the sports games every 2 years. I alternate between madden and NHL. I know last year one new feature was the broken sticks and it seems people were un happy with how often they broke. Just got the game and im about 10 games played in, and the only time my stick has broken was with less then a minute left and me down a goal with a guy at the point... first time was a slap shot, second time was a wrister off the face off... kinda lame it seems.

The game is good, but i suck as usualy, and playing online for the first time, finallhy won a game on a couple of garbage goals, haha.

PSN ad pacem420 if you want easy competition, lol
Pacem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Long time reader, first time poster....

A few things I noticed from playing as JR:
The AI seems to be a lot better when it comes to setting up for a one timer.
The battles in front of the net make getting into the shooting lanes a little bit harder which I like.
The goalies were obviously modeled after Luongo with how easily they flop around with a little nudge.
The collision detection seems to be better (haven't randomly glanced off of someone who I obviously hit).
Old 09-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Going to get it this mornin'!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Im still trying to decide whether it is worth it or not. I have nhl 11 but not sure i want 12 from the sounds of it, its really no different?
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

meh, played the early release, and the game last night.

Looks like another year of ducking out of online hut/vs play, as the defensive side of the game is just useless, and players can basically figure skate end to end, turn on a dime and at any speed in any angle.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #13
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally the small tweaks have made the game much more enjoyable then NHL 11.

I had to give up on playing Be a Pro in NHL 11 after just a few games due to the horrible teammate AI but this has greatly approved, especially in the offensive zone. If feels like teammates actually have some common hockey sense now and will move to the proper areas of the ice.

For this reason alone the game has been worth it so far.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Im still trying to decide whether it is worth it or not. I have nhl 11 but not sure i want 12 from the sounds of it, its really no different?
Reactions are mixed. Best best is to download the demo to get a feel for it. Personally I find it quite different due to the little things. On paper the changes don't seem significant, but the gameplay is improved.

One thing that's annoying me is the complaining about cross crease passes producing too many goals. I would argue in the NHL you'd probably see 75% of cross crease one-times go in too. The difference is that NHL d-men don't let those passes get through. It's the same with the stick breaks. Have you seen how many sticks break in a standard nhl game? Have you seen the weak crap shot it takes to break them half the time? Seems realistic to me.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Started playing HUT last night, got a few decent players on my team, in all the free packs I got.

Top players would be

Sharp (87) - Staal (92) - Eaves (81)
Schremp (85) - Maxwell (75, but on the Jets) - ???
??? - ??? - ???
??? - ??? - ???

Tyutin (80) - Sopel (81)
??? - Some Avalanche Defender (80)
??? - ???

Quick (85)
???

I just got Quick and Sharp in my 2,500 puck purchase - I was able to get a few packs from playing HUT last year and other unlockables.

I sucked my first 3 games, losing all three; I lost 1-0, 4-1 and 3-2 (OT).

I then proceeded to turn it around and win 3-2, 2-0, 4-1 and 8-3.

Hopefully the steak continues! I had great success in my last game with Sharp/Staal sniping corners, and Eaves ploughing straight towards the net.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I redeemed all my free card packs and I bought a Jumbo pack (with XBox Live points) and the only notable NHL player I got was Ossi Vannanen. Anyone else have great luck like this?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #17
flamesfan55
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Reactions are mixed. Best best is to download the demo to get a feel for it. Personally I find it quite different due to the little things. On paper the changes don't seem significant, but the gameplay is improved.

One thing that's annoying me is the complaining about cross crease passes producing too many goals. I would argue in the NHL you'd probably see 75% of cross crease one-times go in too. The difference is that NHL d-men don't let those passes get through. It's the same with the stick breaks. Have you seen how many sticks break in a standard nhl game? Have you seen the weak crap shot it takes to break them half the time? Seems realistic to me.

Where do i go to download it for the ps3?
flamesfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #18
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Where do i go to download it for the ps3?
The PSN.

Located here -->

Old 09-14-2011, 01:47 PM   #19
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I redeemed all my free card packs and I bought a Jumbo pack (with XBox Live points) and the only notable NHL player I got was Ossi Vannanen. Anyone else have great luck like this?
yup. i got a bunch of packs for free (hut initial pack, demo pack, season pass pack), and i still only got 2 recognizable players out of the 30-40 guys on my team:
- turco
- frolov
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #20
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is anyone else having issue with the ea sports server? All day yesterday, I was lagging with a connection that I have had no issues with in the past. Also today, I had trouble connecting to the server. Is this just me?
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ea sports , nhl , video game