Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2023, 11:53 PM   #2861
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The gaming performance mini PC's are capable of now is nuts. I've been shopping around for a compact emulation machine (I think I've settled on the MinisForum UM690), but if you up the budget a bit and get one with a dedicated GPU you can get high end-ish gaming performance for less than the cost of a desktop graphics card

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2023, 02:09 AM   #2862
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tech support time. I'm a moron and connected my wifi/Bluetooth adapter to the wrong pins. Realized it today and went to rectify the issue and cleaned up my cabling at the same time. Boot the PC, no video. Look on the mobo and I have an LED indicating a DRAM problem. Here are my next steps:

- Reseat the RAM sticks
- Try both RAM sticks individually in each slot
- Remove all peripherals and reconnect cables
- Ensure proper PSU connections
- Reset CMOS

At this point I suspect maybe CPU, so I reseat CPU, reboot, and now LED is flashling back and forth between CPU and DRAM.

I'm guessing the only way to solve this is to take it in and test each component separately, but I'm open to suggestions.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 11:17 AM   #2863
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Testing each thing separately is what I would do. Although also try re-seating other components first, if your video is going out through GPU and your CPU has integrated graphics try just running everything through that... weird stuff happens, I had a similar issue that misled me to thinking I had something wrong on the board but it was just that my GPU riser cable wasn't seated correctly. I would think it's more likely that you messed something up when cleaning up the cabling than it being a problem related to the incorrect connection thing you fixed.

Do you have spare ram you could use? Or maybe borrow a stick. Otherwise yeah it's a trip to Memory express, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The gaming performance mini PC's are capable of now is nuts.
Question, though... why not just buy a Steam Deck for that use case? Now you have a mini PC that can do all your emulation, and it's also a mobile system?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 02:44 PM   #2864
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Tech support time. I'm a moron and connected my wifi/Bluetooth adapter to the wrong pins. Realized it today and went to rectify the issue and cleaned up my cabling at the same time. Boot the PC, no video. Look on the mobo and I have an LED indicating a DRAM problem. Here are my next steps:

- Reseat the RAM sticks
- Try both RAM sticks individually in each slot
- Remove all peripherals and reconnect cables
- Ensure proper PSU connections
- Reset CMOS

At this point I suspect maybe CPU, so I reseat CPU, reboot, and now LED is flashling back and forth between CPU and DRAM.

I'm guessing the only way to solve this is to take it in and test each component separately, but I'm open to suggestions.
Do you have onboard video, you can try?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:07 PM   #2865
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Question, though... why not just buy a Steam Deck for that use case? Now you have a mini PC that can do all your emulation, and it's also a mobile system?
I've done a lot of reading and for the most part the Steam Deck looks great, but it will struggle with more demanding Switch/PS3/Xbox games. The Minisforum UM690 though has a significantly better CPU/APU that will play pretty much anything you can throw at it at full speed, for the same price. Portability isn't really a concern either. Maybe when the Steam Deck 2 drops and can emulate anything under the sun I'll pick one up
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2023, 09:48 AM   #2866
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, okay. That's fair. I am certainly aware of it being used to emulate switch games, but have mostly seen it used as a more retro emulation platform - I can certainly imagine there are some titles where you'd be locked at 30. Which is obviously how it would have originally performed, but still.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-02-2023, 08:05 AM   #2867
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I've never purchased one of these weird obscure brand monitors, but this review is making me think of trying this one. 32" 4K IPS Mini LED panel for less than half of what a name brand one would be. I just wish the exterior didn't look so ugly.

Old 03-02-2023, 11:53 AM   #2868
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently the pixel response times of the 27" version are far better than the 32", just something I found from searching the model name and looking through some Reddit discussion on it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 02:30 PM   #2869
photon

Exp:

Hm I'll have to take a look, though I'm not sure I'd see the difference.

I guess there's also the Acer Predator X32 FP which I haven't really looked at.

Or the Samsung Odyssey G7, I'm not a fan of curved monitors but maybe I should give it a try. VA panel and I've always used IPS, not sure how much better/worse it would be.
Old 03-02-2023, 04:01 PM   #2870
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone here used an OLED tv as a monitor? Was thinking about getting one for double duty as a monitor + TV usage in the evening the odd night, but a bit worried about burn in.

Have read lots of people swear that they haven't had any issue but worry that I'm a bit of an extreme user for the amount of time I use my monitor.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 04:36 PM   #2871
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, I use an LG C2 42" and it is outstanding. But not for work purposes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 04:51 PM   #2872
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been running a LG CX 48 on the heavy hitting gaming rig. It's hilariously great for gaming, but don't use it for work.

We also have a "normal" LG OLED TV in the same room for console gaming. Just need to be careful about remote usage not accidentally turning them both on/off.

Haven't had burn in issues over here on either screen.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2023, 04:52 PM   #2873
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
^Testing each thing separately is what I would do. Although also try re-seating other components first, if your video is going out through GPU and your CPU has integrated graphics try just running everything through that... weird stuff happens, I had a similar issue that misled me to thinking I had something wrong on the board but it was just that my GPU riser cable wasn't seated correctly. I would think it's more likely that you messed something up when cleaning up the cabling than it being a problem related to the incorrect connection thing you fixed.
Was definitely a CPU/mobo issue. RAM tested fine in my buddy's PC. I didn't bother sorting out which one because both were so old that replacing one meant replacing the other.

Also splurged on a new case, so I'm pretty much 3/4 of the way to a new build.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 03:17 AM   #2874
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Has anyone here used an OLED tv as a monitor? Was thinking about getting one for double duty as a monitor + TV usage in the evening the odd night, but a bit worried about burn in.

Have read lots of people swear that they haven't had any issue but worry that I'm a bit of an extreme user for the amount of time I use my monitor.
I have a 48” LG C1 and use it exclusively for gaming. I’d classify going to an OLED as a “game changer”. If you can run games at 4K and those games have HDR then you’re in for a treat.
Meelapo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 09:10 AM   #2875
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm so very tempted, but inevitably it would be used a lot for work in a very static environment...so I'll have to think of a solution for that. Need a bigger desk so it can fit alongside my current monitor or something, but not the biggest room.

Probably just dreaming at the moment as ideally it would be an all in one solution.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #2876
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still no regrets on my end buying the Alienware AW3423DW QD-OLED. Been an absolute delight to play on for the last few months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 10:08 AM   #2877
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I'm so very tempted, but inevitably it would be used a lot for work in a very static environment
Lots of people on reddit claim they do coding or other productivity work on their OLED monitors with zero burn in issues, but I'm not convinced, and it's not the kind of thing you can go back.

Plus for me all the pictures I've seen of text on OLEDs would drive me crazy I'm pretty sure, especially on monitors > 32" 4K.

So yeah I'd love to have an OLED for gaming and a regular monitor for work, but my current setup really doesn't allow for that.

A productivity focused 60Hz 32" LCD + a gaming OLED is probably still cheaper than the monitor I really want that would do both (ViewSonic Elite XG321UG).

But afaik there are no gaming 16:9 32" 4K OLEDs with refresh rates higher than 60Hz, and I can't really use a wide screen monitor for gaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 10:36 AM   #2878
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's no OLED, but I still love my Dell S3220DGF. It's by no means perfect, but whether it's work or gaming, it handles whatever I throw at it with ease.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #2879
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

new to the dlss game but it boosted my framerate on cyberpunk a heck of a lot.. something which i'd purchased but not really played. seems like for certain games it can be quite helpful
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:19 PM   #2880
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would NOT recommend going with an OLED for day-to-day work. While my 48” is great for gaming I wouldn’t want to code or read text on it for a long amount of time. Perhaps its the text sharpness (or my eyes) or my higher PPI but text is not great looking compared to an LED.
Meelapo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post: