Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2024, 07:18 PM   #2101
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Wasn't Yakemchuk considered a possible 2024 top 3 or 5 pick way back when people first started thinking about the 2024 draft? I seem to recall chatter about him before the 2023 draft as a player to watch in 2024. I could be misremembering.
Yes you’re correct.
End of 2022/beginning of 2023 the rumoured top 3 were slated as Celebrini, Eiserman and Yakemchuk.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 07:19 PM   #2102
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourque's Twin View Post
I don’t know the Habs system intimately but they seem to have good young forwards. It would make sense for them to take a guy like Parekh or Buium to me.
Not that he is any kind of guarantee at this point, but they do have Hutson who could potentially be their puck-moving defenceman that quarterbacks their powerplay for the next 5-10 years… that’s the spot that Parker or Buium would be looking to excel at. I could see them looking to add size/physicality either up front or on defence. Lindstrom/Iginla could fit for them up front or Silayev on the back end. Of course, there is no such a thing as having too many puck-moving defencemen. Colorado won their cup in 2022 under a system full of puck-moving, offensive defensemen (Makar, Toews, Girard, Manson and Byram).
stemit14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 07:43 PM   #2103
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Habs have some good D Prospects that could be very good, but their forwards don't seem to have the same potential. They have some good to great young guys on the team already, but I think they may go forward unless they are completely enthralled with a particular blueliner.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 08:35 PM   #2104
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Seems like these types of good at everything not great at anything guys are the guys we used to draft but it seems like most of the picks they make excel at least at something ( boltmans aside). This is just a personal observation dont have anything to back it up.

As always appreciate your write ups good sir!
It’s all about uncovering those hidden gems in the later rounds, even if they don’t end up playing in your top-6. I like Davis (and guys like him) because even though he lacks size, he makes up for it by playing big, and outworking opponents.

Thanks for reading, as always!!
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:22 PM   #2105
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1780650460208050240

Conroy really loves his draft picks.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 09:58 PM   #2106
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Needs some Jarome rocking the side stage.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:00 PM   #2107
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames draft Tij they should definitely let Jarome announce the pick.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 10:08 PM   #2108
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fingers crossed for Zeev Buium for me.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 10:10 PM   #2109
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If the Flames draft Tij they should definitely let Jarome announce the pick.
Won't he be sitting in the crowd with Tij?
Old 04-17-2024, 10:14 PM   #2110
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think so. As part of the Flames front office shouldn't he be at the draft table? I am not sure how that works really in this circumstance.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:19 PM   #2111
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Fingers crossed for Zeev Buium for me.
If we walk away with him Catton, Dickinson, Helenius, Yakemchuk or Parehk I see it as a big win.

I think Helenius is a bit underrated has some of the best iq in the draft and plays center. A better backlund would be a win for us. I think he is a top six Center.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:31 PM   #2112
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

NHL's official final rankings

https://www.nhl.com/draft/prospects

Some NA skaters notes:
  • Top 4 same as midterm
  • Parekh up from 10 to 5
  • Iggy up from 11 to 9
  • Yakemchuk down from 6 to 11

Last edited by FanIn80; 04-17-2024 at 10:36 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 10:39 PM   #2113
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
NHL's official final rankings

https://www.nhl.com/draft/prospects

Some NA skaters notes:
  • Top 4 same as midterm
  • Parekh up from 10 to 5
  • Iggy up from 11 to 9
  • Yakemchuk down from 6 to 11

Is helenius missing?
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:41 PM   #2114
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Is helenius missing?
No they separate the NA and international skaters. I didn't notice it right away either.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:15 PM   #2115
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think so. As part of the Flames front office shouldn't he be at the draft table? I am not sure how that works really in this circumstance.
Yeah, he'd be at the draft table.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:22 PM   #2116
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts (Slovenian Assassin Edition):

Before he joined the Gatineau Olympiques of the QMJHL this season, LHD Jan Golicic dominated the Austrian U18 league in 2022-23 with 37 points in 18 games. It must have been a massive adjustment to play this year in Canadian Major Junior, but the 6'6",198lb monster rearguard did ok, with 3 goals and 29 points in 65 games. With defensemen seemingly not scoring as much as past years in the Q, his 29 points puts him in a tie for 31st overall in league scoring by D. He's first in scoring from the blueline on the Olympiques, with numbers that are actually impressive when one considers that Gatineau finished 14th out of 18 teams in the standings, and was third-worst in scoring goals. The native of Jesenice, Slovenia was selected 44th overall in the 2022 CHL Import Draft, and is still quite young with a June 30th birthday. Gatineau was just recently eliminated from the playoffs by the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies in 5 games, and Golicic had no points.

Though Golicic excels in his own end, he still retains an offensive mindset, perhaps from his days in Austria. He contributes to the offensive side of the puck by distributing well when his team is installed in their opponents' zone, and he can find teammates with passes through traffic to high-danger areas. He will join the rush at times, and sometimes seizes the opportunity to pinch into the play from the point. His shot from the point isn't very threatening right now, but he gets it on net consistently and uses it as a playmaking tool to facilitate second-chance opportunities for his teammates, and to cause havok in the crease. He protects the puck well using his body and enormous wingspan, with reasonably good puck skill and handling- it's difficult to strip him of possession. Unfortunately, his mobility is an issue as his boots are a bit heavy right now, with sluggish acceleration- though he makes up for it somewhat with his size and reach, at least at the junior level. He uses his size well to win battles, overpower opponents, and leverage his way around the ice.

Despite his mobility issues, he's a contributor to the Olympiques' transition with short carries, and give-and-go's. He's quite adept at retrievals, scanning the ice over his shoulder and making simple, short-range first-passes to kick-off the breakout. He will stretch the ice with a long-bomb on occasion, but can miss the mark if pressured when doing so. He seems to be in his element in the D zone, and is able to make stop after stop with his gigantic reach, combined with his active stick. He angles opponents to the outside, where they are either bowled over or pinned to the boards, while being separated from the puck. Opponents who venture near his crease are either boxed out or roughed up. There's a ton of potential in this package, but I don't think he'll put up big points at the next level. If he can fix his skating, and we're living in an age where that might be possible, he would make a fine bottom-pairing D in the NHL, with the potential for a bit more. There's some attributes here that make GM's salivate, but I don't see him getting picked before the 5th/6th round.

Last edited by Sandman; 04-17-2024 at 11:24 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 11:40 PM   #2117
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No shocker here but saw Bob Murray the flames scout at the rockets cougars game tonight - with iginla and parascak both playing and the flames having 2 1sts not really a big surprise. Rockets have played a lot better than expected.. they are down 3-1 but just an OT goal / bounce from the series being tied against a much better juggernaut team with 7 or 8 20 year olds and were good value for the win tonight. Though none of the draft eligible guys really stood out. tij worked hard but wasn't very impactful.

He wanted a goal really bad and tried to do that by jumping ahead of the play maybe even cherrypicking on the breakout a few times and forcing play a bit resulting in a couple turnovers inside the blueline. But does stand out as one of the better players still and always shows a strong desire to imapct the game and high competitiveness. Thornton on pg was following him around the ice slashing his ankles trying to goad him a couple times and he pushed back a little but mostly just skated away. No temper/long fuse

Never like to see 20 year old overagers bullying the 17 year old kids like that but it's a competitive league and kid has to have a bit of a target on his back between his name and draft ranking. Junior has changed so much 90% of the kids are super non confrontational and avoid escalating things as a few years back even the rockets would have had a bigger older player attack a guy for targeting a smaller star 17 year old like that.

Last edited by Matty81; 04-17-2024 at 11:43 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2024, 12:30 AM   #2118
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Flames can’t catch the devils correct? Since even a regulation win puts us at one less than them. So the only thing left to be decided is seattle
Tbull8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 12:47 AM   #2119
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post
Flames can’t catch the devils correct? Since even a regulation win puts us at one less than them. So the only thing left to be decided is seattle
Yep, it's either 8th or 9th , lottery results notwithstanding.
Old 04-18-2024, 05:22 PM   #2120
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really wish we stayed at 75 points.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft