Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #1
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiver

Recently i've been thinking about getting a dog. Most likely what will happen is that i'll be getting it next year sometime because I don't want to "impulse" buy a dog, because that's not fair for the animal and I want to make the right decision.

I know quite a bit about dog breeds in general as I did a lot of research years ago about our family dog.

I've known about the NSDTR for quite some time, and have always thought that they are great dogs. They are very smart, very active, affectionate and not too attention starved. Another thing that I would most likely be getting into agility, flyball and dock jumping contests. It might even sound silly, but i've always wanted to have a dog compete in superdogs at the stampede!

Does anyone on CP have one? Did you get it through a breeder in alberta? If so, could you name the breeder? Can you tell me about your dog?

I'm also very open to the idea of rescuing a dog from a shelter. That is always an option.

For the topics sake, i'd like to keep it about the NSDTR or similar dogs and not have it deteriorate into an adoption vs breeder argument.

Thanks for your input!

Spoiler!
MrPlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My aunt and uncle have one and it's a pretty nice dog....provided you keep him busy and exercised, which sounds like it shouldn't be that big of an issue if you actually do the stuff you want to do with it.

Personality wise, they aren't my favourite. Granted that's the only one I've ever really known, so I'm not sure if it's indiciative of the breed, but he kind of acts more like a cat than a dog, and is just sort of lacking in personality.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Yeah i've read that too. They're kind of a 1 person dog. That actually appeals to me. I find it annoying when friends dogs are constantly hounding me for attention.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious why you would want a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever over a Golden Retriever. Do you want a smaller dog? Or is it because Golden Retriever can sometimes get attention starved?
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Curious why you would want a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever over a Golden Retriever. Do you want a smaller dog? Or is it because Golden Retriever can sometimes get attention starved?
Contrary to popular belief, Golden Retrievers do not always show a strong aptitude for agility or *gasp* retrieving. For the activities the OP listed, the NSDTR is probably a good choice. Personally, I'm a sucker for Border Collies and would get one in a second if I had an acreage/farm.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

My Wife loves this dog! I'll be reading this thread with interest
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool dog's eye gopro view video of duck hunt. Spoiler tags because ducks get shot. Not sure if this is the same breed or not. But thought it would interest you.

Spoiler!
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayems For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those dogs are smart we had one in the agility class we put our dog in.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth kendal View Post
Personally I have always prefered medium sized dogs over larger breeds. From what i've read, the "toller" doesn't shed as much as a retreiver or a lab. Their "quieter" personality appeals to me too. Other than that, it's mainly how well they perform in agility classes because i'm very interested in participating in those things!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
MrPlow
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Golden Retrievers do not always show a strong aptitude for agility or *gasp* retrieving. For the activities the OP listed, the NSDTR is probably a good choice. Personally, I'm a sucker for Border Collies and would get one in a second if I had an acreage/farm.
Me too! These guys seem like the perfect balance between the retreiver and a collie.

Tags
canucks suck , dogs rule , oilers suck