Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default New ISP with old modem

I just signed up with Lightspeed internet using an old Motorola Surfboard modem. At first I couldn't connect with my laptop but after a reset of the modem I was able to get online again. I reset the modem again, and once again I cannot connect.

On my girlfriend's laptop, I connect every time, but I cannot connect to my router, after multiple resets.

Is there a step I'm missing that is required when you change modems for your pc? I've been at this for a few hours and am getting nowhere.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

First step, always try a different cable.

If I am understanding correctly, you can plug your girlfriend's laptop directly into the Motorola and it works fine, but if you plug if into your router it doesn't, is that correct? If so I'd also try resetting your router to defaults and re-configuring.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, modem to PC1 works. Modem to PC2 doesn't. Router does nothing on either PC. I've tried multiple cables and reset everything I can think of.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, I read the posts carefully this time!

If you can't connect when connecting directly to the modem, maybe your IP settings are set to static instead of dynamic?

I am also not familiar with Lightspeed, but way back when ISPs would restrict network address to a single MAC Address. It could be it read your GF's computer's MAC address and is fixed on that? If that's the case, there should be a way to reset that, or possibly your router can clone your GF's MAC address.

Last edited by psyang; 02-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, before you edited that, I reset the modem and my pc connected again. When I plugged the ethernet back into hers, her pc would not connect this time.

The single MAC thing might make sense. I don't know how old this modem is but I'd guess at least 5 years.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd call them and have them check your signal levels. They should be able to do it remotely. Do you have splitters on the coax?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They were just in today to do an extensive install. It works fine on one wired pc, but I can't set up my router to save my life.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #8
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Well, before you edited that, I reset the modem and my pc connected again. When I plugged the ethernet back into hers, her pc would not connect this time.

The single MAC thing might make sense. I don't know how old this modem is but I'd guess at least 5 years.
It sounds like the modem is working fine, actually.

Try this:

1) Reset router to defaults. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds. To be sure, you should try the 30/30/30 method: With router on, hold reset button down. Keep holding the button down for the next 90 seconds. After 30 seconds, unplug power from the router, then after another 30 seconds, plug router back in and keep holding reset down for the final 30 seconds.

2) Unplug modem and router from power. Connect router to modem via a known good network cable (ie. cable that you used to get a working connection from your pc).

3) Plug power into modem only. Wait until it finishes its initialization and the online light is solid.

4) Plug power into router. Wait until router finishes its initialization.

5) Plug a pc into router. If you have internet, great. If not, log into the router webpage and see what external (or wan) ip address it has. If it is a 169.* address, then something is preventing the router from getting an ip address from the modem. This is usually a modem issue, but since your pcs can connect, it is likely a router issue.

If the external ip is a different ip address, then the router is connected fine, but the router is either not giving your pc an ip address, or is not passing your pc network to the internet for some reason. This is most likely a router issue.

So, in either case, if you still have problems after this, it may be time to look for a new router.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote