Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Civilization 6

Hey yall,

Anyone else pick up Civ 6? I've played every Civ game since the first installment came with my 486 in the early 90's.

I've only been able to play a couple hours, but there is a lot of new content in the game.

The games also seems much longer. I'm playing standard speed at the moment, have played maybe 3 hours total and i'm still at 600BC. Usually it would take 30 minutes to get out of BCE, but this seems much more drawn out, which I think is actually a good thing if I can get used to it.

First game I played I got ravaged by barbarians in the first 30 turns. it was not pretty. Second game i'm doing better, but have a ton to learn.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #2
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

It's decent. The consensus is that it is much better than Civ 5 at launch. The fact that the number of cities you own isn't gated by happiness like in Civ 5 is a huge improvement.

But, so far it just seems like a war simulator. AI can go from your best friend to at war with you without any provocation. I've played for about 6 hours so far over a couple games and it is non-stop aggression from the AI. They'll usually declare in tandem and then blitz you with military. I've tried Rome and with their legion, you can completely wreck ancient armies.

There also still hasn't been any significant improvements on AI either. They still make the same stupid plays and will feed their units into a chokepoint or naval blockade. They still manage cities poorly and will fall behind without the difficulty boosts.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me getting out of BCE definitely took longer than 30 min for Civ 5 at least.

I like the new one, still trying to get used to it, districts, amenities, housing are all new(er) concepts that I want to learn to employ properly. I like the concept of boosting tech and civic research through "missions", that's a really neat idea. Also the civic cards that you can change in the government tab keep you more involved on a turn-by-turn basis.

I don't have a great grip on the diplomacy yet, but it seems improved since V (which was abysmal btw).

Still on my first game, about 6 hours in, now in early AD, playing on Prince difficulty.
There is one powerhouse AI (Sumer), which seems to get a lot of advantages, 4 other AI and myself.

Not faring too bad, but thinking of abandoning this game and starting a new one as this will be an uphill battle that I don't think I can win.
I'm leading in Science but all other departments are struggling.

Anyways, fun game, wish I had more time to play it!
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems to be quite a few bugs at the moment. I'll definitely buy it, but not for a few months.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally finished my 1st single player game last night. Pulled off a cultural victory with England but had to take care of one other civ who was chasing the same victory.

The districts and wonders definitely make your city strategy very important if you are going for culture. There were a few times in the late game I wanted to build things like wonders and national parks that I could no because of where I previously built a district. I couldn't find a way to destroy a district once it was placed so this meant either building the wonder in another city (longer production) or hoping a city that I was taking over had room.

Another thing I noticed was how strong the navy felt. I had 4 ships (3 ranged and one melee) that won me any battle. I suppose if I wasn't on the map I was on (it was a standard random map, but came out as an island one) thing might of been different. I was able to bombard a city with my 3 ranged ships and after 2 turns I would walk in with a warrior
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Big fan of this iteration so far. It's better than V was at launch, but still needs a bit of love to be as good as V was after the G&K expansion.

Changes I really like:
- policy cards
- districts
- movement changes
- art style
- Civics/Governments
- Casus belli

Changes I'm not a big fan of, but can be improved
- UI
- Spies
- City state mechanics

Changes I don't like
- religious combat
- tourism (didn't like it in V actually)
- no "world diplomacy" view?

Overall, I'm happy with the game. It will get better as it always does, but out of the box it's well beyond my expectations for a new Civ game.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty dope IMO. Needs a few tweaks, but the aggro AI is more or less just like playing online, so it's not a huge deal. Enjoy a lot of what it brings.

Music could be a bit more engaging unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
spetch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Pretty dope IMO. Needs a few tweaks, but the aggro AI is more or less just like playing online, so it's not a huge deal. Enjoy a lot of what it brings.

Music could be a bit more engaging unfortunately.

A guy that I play Sundays with said that the music is supposed to evolve as your civ evolves, as in more instruments get added as your civ learns. I am not much of a music guy so I didn't pay too much attn, but I thought this was a neat idea
spetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a music guy, and yeah I noticed this, but that kind of adds to how uninspired it feels. I'm playing mainly as Russia right now, and each melody is an appropriation of (or in some cases, exactly like) a public domain song, rather than the original compositions of the previous games. Perhaps the other Civs have better music, I'm unsure as I haven't played as them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:47 PM   #10
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Interesting civ/leader choices. Brazil, Kongo. The Scythians over Mongolia, Persia or the Ottomans. I'd like to see them do Hitler and the Hebrews but I dont think it will ever happen.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #11
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trailer I saw looked all cartoony. Isn't that pissing you guys off?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The trailer I saw looked all cartoony. Isn't that pissing you guys off?
It's not like a game where you can have medieval archers facing tanks and helicopters has prided itself on realism
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:31 PM   #13
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I wasn't able to play last weekend because I went out of town on short notice. I've been too busy during the week, and this weekend I'll probably be just playing Skyrim Special Edition.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really liking this game. Very polished and smooth. Missing a few features like wakinh units up when an enemy nearby and the trading seems to be a little wonky but I think this is the best civ game in a while.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 07:24 PM   #15
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an out of box game this is a grand slam. Civ is so deep and complex and this is no more evidenced than the abysmal civ 5 launch. G&K was ok, but BNW was where the game was saved.

Ed Beech is clearly a very clever and talented developer. I can't wait for mods and what expansions can do. I've already dropped hours into the game as is; it's a real victory for 4x gaming.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2016, 07:32 PM   #16
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the chances it plays on an older laptop? I played civ V on it fine. I know literally zip about requirements anymore
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #17
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
What are the chances it plays on an older laptop? I played civ V on it fine. I know literally zip about requirements anymore
Depends on how 'old' the 'older laptop' is. However, if it ran relatively fine on CIV V, CIV VI should load but be prepared for long wait times between turns.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Civ 6 major fall update is out, and it's a good one. But as expected the best improvements are from the modding community. I urge civ 6 lovers like me to check out the civfanatics forum, sign up, and participate. Also, check out the mods!

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resou...downloads.145/

My must have mods:
AI+
Civolopedia on main screen
8 ages of pace (this mod can be customized in the XML ... it slows down research in the middle game so you can actually have proper wars during medieval eras etc)
Improved water tiles (adjusts harbour buildings so coastal cities arent useless like now)
Production queue

Mods I recommend
Better trade screen (cleans up the trade route screen, not the ai civ trade screen)
NewContinentNames (i dont like the names but I can just edit in the names I want. this is a lot of work on 2nd thought and these continent names are stupid. so, just kidding?)
Civ6 ++ (lots changed but good stuff, read the description)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #19
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really want to play a Civilization game but when I played one game of Civ 6 I just ended up trying to build an army and take over the map. What's the point in the game? Can you just play to build an economy and become super rich?
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I really want to play a Civilization game but when I played one game of Civ 6 I just ended up trying to build an army and take over the map. What's the point in the game? Can you just play to build an economy and become super rich?
ya you can basically "turtle", build a nice defensive military fortified in encampments and try and win other ways.

there's 5 ways to win:
domination=control all other civ original capitals
religious=have the majority of civs (not city states) follow your religion
cultural=your tourism is higher than anyone elses domestic tourism
score=this is based on going a full 500 or whatever turns you set, and, its a combination of all things like science and religion and wonders you've built
science= be the first to man a mars mission to space

you can also change a game so there's only certain victory types available