Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2018, 04:33 PM   #201
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just got a notice from Scotiabank that my Visa has been charged by Amazon. That usually happens a couple of hours before I get the shipping notice from Amazon.

For those that got compensation from Amazon for the missed release date, how did you go about getting it?
Old 10-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #202
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I contacted them via chat on Friday and received $10.

My credit card was just charged as well and the shipping on the order was changed to "Shipping Now". No confirmed date yet though.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #203
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post

I'm surprised few people have an issue with the incredibly clunky controls. The game feels like GTA IV, only more restricted. Walking, running, riding are all so slow, and it feels like I'm trying to steer or turn a series of ocean liners. Your complaint is a perfect example of the frustrations I have just controlling my character.
One things they've added in this game is the need to increase your stamina. You'll notice as that levels up, you're able to move a lot faster and the game starts to feel more like RDR1.

I was also finding the walking/running/riding pace extremely slow at first, but then realized it was by design and am now running a lot faster after levelling up.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 AM   #204
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My only gripe with this game now is I sit down and fire up the Xbox at 9pm. Intending to play for an hour I then realize its 11:30pm and I just started another mission
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #205
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
One things they've added in this game is the need to increase your stamina. You'll notice as that levels up, you're able to move a lot faster and the game starts to feel more like RDR1.

I was also finding the walking/running/riding pace extremely slow at first, but then realized it was by design and am now running a lot faster after levelling up.
There is another Reddit thread with some settings options that may make movement a little easier that I was reading this morning.

I have not tried any of this but I will be when I get home.

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadrede..._in_rdr2other/
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 12:17 PM   #206
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wasted a lot of time hassling Amazon, ended up with $15 total credit off the game, but no firm commitment for delivery. It says November 1-7 on tracking, but not charged, no shipping info, so no idea if I will get it by then. If I don't, I am going to ask for either $30 amazon credit + more for my time + cancel preorder (so my promised saving can be applied to something else) or a further credit and a copy whenever it comes.

I ended up biting the bullet and just buying it at Walmart, so if my Amazon copy ever comes, I will post it up on Buy and Sell here

All that aside, playing the game now involves a bit of getting used to the feel, but what I notice is just how intentional everything is. It is totally one of those games that you get absorbed in and realize later you have spent way more time than you wanted to. Still need to get better with all the mechanics, but I am enjoying the early missions and just doing a bit of exploring and hunting.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #207
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

As someone who also felt fairly overwhelmed with all the new mechanics at times, after talking to my buddy I went to the pre-release with (who's way ahead of me in game progress), I'm wondering how much all those levels even matter.

He's the type of dude who pretty much does nothing but main story missions - when he beat GTA V I couldn't believe how little money / weapons / anything he had - and he seems to be getting by just fine in RDR2. And knowing him, i guarantee he doesn't have any of the cores stuff figured out.

I'm starting to think the difference between well maintained cores and poor ones are fairly minimal. I think we may be all over-thinking it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:12 PM   #208
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't really do anything with the cores. I sleep from time to time waiting for a store to open, I eat if I want to refill my deadeye but other than that I really don't pay attention to them and it seems to be fine.

If I need a quick boost of health or stamina I just eat something, but again that isn't really anything to do with the cores.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #209
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Amazon says it has finally shipped and will be arriving tomorrow. As annoying as it was, paying $47 for the game will make missing the first 5 days of release worth it.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 03:59 PM   #210
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm hooked. It is one of those games where you say I'm just going to play one mission and then all of a sudden it is 3am. I might need a break though as it sometimes feels too real. I got really sad the other day regretting the harsh actions I took to complete a mission.

The controls definitely take some getting used to and it seems like a game where you need to play for at least 20 hours til you figure things out. One time I was attempting to give a lift to a woman but instead of mounting my horse I ended up strangling her instead!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 PM   #211
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

So glad I'm the age I am. If this came out 20 years ago the "just 5 more minutes" arguments would drive my mom nuts.

Have an early day at work tomorrow, I know why I'm doing all afternoon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 05:40 PM   #212
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I love these random encounters.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 08:07 AM   #213
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haha I found that guy too. I also found a gold bar worth $500 but I don't know where to sell it.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:39 AM   #214
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Haha I found that guy too. I also found a gold bar worth $500 but I don't know where to sell it.
I donated it to my camp but you can also sell it at a "fence". If you donate to your camp you can...

Slight spoiler:
Spoiler!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #215
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The controls definitely take some getting used to and it seems like a game where you need to play for at least 20 hours til you figure things out. One time I was attempting to give a lift to a woman but instead of mounting my horse I ended up strangling her instead!
Haha totally. I had something similar happen last night when I innocently hopped on a train to check it out. Tried to greet a passenger, but didn't realize I was holding my gun so instead I accidentally tried to rob him. Train enforcement was instantly all over me and I was dead within seconds. Oops..
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sainters7 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #216
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love fishing... I go fishing every "day".

It's amazing how much time you can spend playing this game and accomplish so little. I love that, there's no rush. I ride around and explore, I hunt, fish, sight see... and then I'll go do a mission, maybe, maybe.

Head down to Saint Denis once you get to episode 4, it's very cool and there's new stuff to buy

No spoilers, but once you complete a certain mission...money is not an issue. If you are careful.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:21 PM   #217
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I love how fun all the side activities are. Not at all like most open world games. I've played every night this week and done maybe 2 story missions. Played a lot of poker though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #218
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t done a mission since Monday. Been exploring since. Hunting as well. Great game
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #219
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow I just did a quest from Dutch to take Lenny drinking. What a night.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 09:15 AM   #220
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its all the little things too. I pulled out a map to read and the sun was at my back so all I could see on the map was the silhouette of my big dumb head, so I had to turn towards the sun.

While the controls take some getting used to, the game is somehow really intuitive overall.

Agreed that a lot of time is spent just checking things out, fishing, hunting, and its awesome!

Anyone go into the saloon and get challenged to a dual by a drunk guy? lol that was pretty funny.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cows , guns , horses , red dead redemption , wild west