Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:
Default VMedia?

So I've been watching them for awhile as they were out east and promising to come west with all services. It's apparently all available now, even though I'll likely only be looking for internet.

Has anyone signed up? I am curious what the performance of the VBox is like as it's just a android box.Prices don't seem too bad either and they are using Shaw as a provider but lower prices and no limit consumption.

V Media
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am on a crazy promo from Telus in my new place because they jerked me around to do my move and it ended up that my 100/20 plan wasn't available ($50 for 50/10, unlimited data) but once that expires, I might be looking at that Internet 60 plan from VMedia.

I don't recall TekSavvy's pricing, but if they had matched this, I probably would have switched a while ago.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interestingly enough, I had to call Telus to work out an account issue and the issue was actually that the manager who set up my plan lied to me and they have no intention of honoring the discounts I was promised.

Looks like I am in the market for a new ISP sooner than later.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #4
rvd123
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Depending if you want dsl or cable. Let us know what you end up with.

http://www.yak.ca
http://www.teksavvy.com
http://www.nakedadsl.ca
http://www.nucleus.com
http://www.westnet.ca
rvd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is hilarious. I was just looking at them this morning. Doubt I'll be doing anything but internet only, but I'm interested to hear what others' experiences have been like.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #6
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed up for VMedia today and am supposed to be getting my service transferred over on Aug. 2, so I'll keep everyone here posted. I'm not a massive TV guy, and basically just use it for sports. I was going to go full cord-cutter but I figured that $77 + tax for 30 Mbps internet + basic TV + all Sportsnet and TSN HD channels was a pretty good deal, since I was already paying $75 for just internet from Shaw.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Signed up for VMedia today and am supposed to be getting my service transferred over on Aug. 2, so I'll keep everyone here posted. I'm not a massive TV guy, and basically just use it for sports. I was going to go full cord-cutter but I figured that $77 + tax for 30 Mbps internet + basic TV + all Sportsnet and TSN HD channels was a pretty good deal, since I was already paying $75 for just internet from Shaw.
Did you call and talk to them or sign up online... just curious if you can talk them into a better deal on the phone, like waving deposits or install fee's?
Old 07-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like talking to people on the phone so I just did the online sign-up.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:54 PM   #9
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my confirmation email today and they're shipping my Vbox and Hitron modem. Fortunately because I'm transferring from Shaw I don't need a tech to come out. Bought a TPLink-1200 router from Amazon which I figure should be good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:59 PM   #10
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very interested in continuing to have updates as this goes.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:34 PM   #11
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Very interested in continuing to have updates as this goes.
Yeah, apparently they give you a 30-day trial with the TV service and if you don't like it you can either keep or send the Vbox back. My "install date" is Aug. 2, so I'll be able to provide more info after that.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:58 PM   #12
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would switch over in a second if they had the eastern US and Canadian networks.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
underGRADFlame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
I would switch over in a second if they had the eastern US and Canadian networks.
Im actually surprised there is no time shift package.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Yeah that's not really important to me. If there's a network show I want to watch, I'll just PVR it or get it off Kodi.

EDIT: Plus you get the cloud PVR thing so you don't even have to worry about recording them.

http://www.vmedia.ca/en/tv/anytimetv
Old 07-25-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
underGRADFlame

Exp:

I just asked the online help desk if they (VMEDIA) would be offering the 150/50 plan that Shaw has now as they sub through Shaw. I was told no they only have the 120/10, which is 129/mth.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:20 PM   #16
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not one for unboxing so I'll spoiler the pics below (it's the box and remote), but I got the Vbox and the Hitron modem yesterday. My services don't go live until the Aug. 2 but I figured I setup the Vbox to test it out and use it as an Android box until then.

The first thing I noticed was how small the box is. It's freaking tiny. It comes with a remote, batteries, HDMI, etc. One cool thing about the remote is that it has a keyboard on the reverse side and also has a mouse mode you can turn on and wave at the screen to click on things.

Configuring the box with the remote takes a little getting used just because it's obviously not pure Android and you have to deal with VMedia's UI. That said, once I got used to it and the different ways I was able to customize things I was happy with it. One weird thing that seems to happen though is if you download an app from the Play Store you can access it by going through the Play Store but it won't show in your apps folder unless you reboot the device. Not sure if it's like that for all apps because I only downloaded one app but yeah, minor inconvenience.

I plugged it directly into my Shaw modem and downloaded NFL Gamepass to check the video quality and it would only stream at 1600kbps, which obviously sucks, but turns out that it's actually the limitations of the Android app and not the Vbox. You can get a 4500Kbps stream using the browser version of Gamepass but I'm not sure if that'll work on the Vbox due to Android devices not having Flash (I know I can sideload). Looks like there's a Gamepass add-on for Kodi, so I'm going to give that a shot tonight and see what kind of quality I can get.

Oh, and a tip for Gamepass (I'll also post this in cutting the cord thread). The regular price in Canada is something like $324.99 for the entire season + playoffs and Super Bowl, but if you proxy yourself in New Zealand or Brazil you get for $250, which is almost the same price as NFL Sunday Ticket. I actually like Gamepass better than Sunday Ticket because you can watch condensed versions of the games where they basically cut all of the commercials, instant replay, etc., and just go play-to-play, which results in the games being about 30 min long (LOL, NFL), and it also has the all-22 coaches' footage if you want to go full football nerd.

Spoiler!
Old 08-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I'm happy with the Vbox so far. I'm not going to say it's right on par with a cable box but I watched a ball game tonight and it looked like solid 720p. I'd post pictures but feel like that's kind of pointless.

Anyways I'm feeling pretty confident that this is going to give me what I need for a solid dollar value.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #18
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Discovered my first hiccup with this thing. The PVR playback sucks on programs I record to my flash drive. It skips around and the audio is all out of sync. I'm going to give them a call tonight to see if they have any suggestions but yeah, if the PVR function isn't worthwhile then there's very little point in me having the TV portion at all.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #19
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do you know the write speed of your flash drive?
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:54 AM   #20
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd have to look it up. I think the problem might be the channel I was recording on. Both times they were Sportsnet programs. I recorded a Global newscast tonight to test that theory out and the newscast was fine.