Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #21
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been 7 years since Fallout 3 came out. I love Elder Scrolls as much as anyone, but a new Fallout game is long overdue.

I'm not counting New Vegas as a Fallout game because it was an expansion that they charged full price for.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:16 AM   #22
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What??? NV was a massive game. I had over 100 hours in it. Not to mention the 5 or so expansions that were each a 5-10 hour adventure .

I agree about Bethesda with CorsiHockeyLeague, I was sorta hoping Obsidian would get to make this one again. The good thing about Bethesda open world is modability (is that a word).
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:24 AM   #23
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
It's been 7 years since Fallout 3 came out. I love Elder Scrolls as much as anyone, but a new Fallout game is long overdue.

I'm not counting New Vegas as a Fallout game because it was an expansion that they charged full price for.
The only Fall Out game I've ever played was New Vegas. Didn't feel like an expansion to me.

Fallout 4 trailer looked good but pretty poor in some parts. The cartoony looking flashbacks looked bad.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #24
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The only Fall Out game I've ever played was New Vegas. Didn't feel like an expansion to me.

Fallout 4 trailer looked good but pretty poor in some parts. The cartoony looking flashbacks looked bad.
For one, you really, really need to play Fallout 3.

And expansion is an exaggeration. It felt like something was missing in New Vegas though. The game didn't hold my attention like Fallout 3 did, it just felt like a much smaller game overall. Maybe I should replay it.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
For one, you really, really need to play Fallout 3.

And expansion is an exaggeration. It felt like something was missing in New Vegas though. The game didn't hold my attention like Fallout 3 did, it just felt like a much smaller game overall. Maybe I should replay it.
I probably should but don't feel like hooking up my Xbox 360 again. I looked on Steam but no Mac version, only PC. I'll wait/hope for a re-release at some point I suppose.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #26
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Game is definitely in Boston. I see a few landmarks in the trailer.

And I'm so happy it's PS4/XB1/PC only. The old consoles should just die already.
Fenway Park:

Spoiler!
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #27
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Fenway Park:

Spoiler!
Also the USS Constitution and the Mass State House. I'm sure there are others that I didn't recognize too.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:03 AM   #28
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks awesome. Can't wait for this one. Kind of got me thinking I should go back and finish 3 again.

On a side note, I never got the hate for NV. I loved that one.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #29
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I love the concept of Fallout and enjoyed the last one I played (3), but echo the other poster who mentioned that the weird, clunky animations kind of spoiled it for me a lot of the time. It detracts from the immersion to see your character sort of floating over the ground as he runs in that Bethesda trademark way, though I've been told this wasn't as much the case with Skyrim.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #30
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

I loved New Vegas and I liked Fallout 3 on my second playthrough when I explored the wastes more before diving into DC.
I found New Vegas, even on hardcore mode, was easier than Fallout 3. 3 had more of a survival horror element to it. And I was not a fan of the "Boss-level" style mutants.

I am playing another New Vegas save right now - i like the DLC in NV better as well. Old world blues was awesome, but in 3, i stopped playing once I was on Mothership Zeta

For 4 if it is in Boston, I want to see them tie in the Fallout 3 storyline references to the commonwealth and robotics/androids
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #31
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout 3 was one of my favorite games of all time, so seeing the trailer for 4 is like mana from heaven...

really excited for this game... now just need to finish off bloodborne!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #32
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
For 4 if it is in Boston, I want to see them tie in the Fallout 3 storyline references to the commonwealth and robotics/androids
There's no "if". The game takes place in Boston. At least 5 notable Boston landmarks are visible in the trailer.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #33
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lots of references in that trailer, both the location and from the series. That I like. I just hope this isn't too similar to Fallout 3. Although it was my favorite of the series as well, the thing that made Fallout 3 so good was that originality while respecting the series history.

That moment you come out of the vault was incredible. Just immersed you immediately in the environment. What made it work is it was so unexpected. What I hope here is this isn't the exact same style/look just bigger. Fallout 3/New Vegas has been done. Hopefully they will save some new tricks to make this feel like going from Fallout 2 -> 3 did.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #34
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the leveling/perk system is more like Skyrim. So much better than the Fallout system. Skills should level up by using them, not by assigning points.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #35
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope the leveling/perk system is more like Skyrim. So much better than the Fallout system. Skills should level up by using them, not by assigning points.
Attributes and skills, sure. But I hope the perks system remains the same.

Adding a new perk every level that could completely change your play style was always fun and rewarding.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #36
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Looks like they're sticking with the Gamebryo engine unfortunately. The rigid animations totally kill it for me, I had such high hopes, damn.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:41 PM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fallout 3 was not a Fallout game. It was, as was often said at the time, Elder Scrolls with guns. It contained absolutely nothing that made Fallout good in the first place. If you like Edler Scrolls games, you'd like it, but if you were hoping they'd recapture the source games, you were absolutely disappointed in basically every imaginable way.

New Vegas was a Fallout game, but it was an imperfect one.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #38
SHOGUN
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The game looks dated... anyways I will still be playing it.
SHOGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:55 PM   #39
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Bethesda is awful and despite Fallout being my favourite game growing up I have little expectation for this. New Vegas had at least a bit of the original spark and personality but Bethesda just makes epic, massive, impressive, stunning and utterly soulless titles. Worst possible company to have these rights.
Entirely disagree.

You are correct, the first two and New Vegas had that levity to them. But I think that's what Fallout 3 intentionally stayed away from. Fallout 3 approached the series to show you a place that saw more nukes than anywhere else. They wanted their stamp to be something totally different from the originals. A more bleak and depressing start with a more hopeful outcome.

In FO1 and 2 (and new vegas), West Coast society had rebounded quickly, where as DC was still a ruin and because of just how bad off it was, would remain so.

I think the first two look awful in comparison now.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2015, 10:10 PM   #40
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want something closer to the first two fallout games then look no further to http://store.steampowered.com/app/240760/ - Wasteland 2
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fallout 4 , nuka cola , the lone wanderer