Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2022, 12:31 PM   #181
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Because he doesn't have a classic, deep PA announcer voice, so he compensates by being VERY LOUD AND EMPHATIC!!! Agreed it's annoying. I find that more in Canadian rinks, U.S. arenas seem to do a better job of just hiring someone with a classic, professional announcing voice who talks normally and lets his natural baritone do the work.

Pet peeve of mine when sports teams hire arena announcers who don't have this, and thus have to have the energy cranked up to 11 to compensate.
Beesley (Team intro/goal-penalty announcer guy) is amazing. Why is he getting roped into this?? Its pretty easy to tell them apart.

As far as the in arena promotions/pump up guy is concerned, I think he does overall a great job, just turn his mic down a bit. His enthusiastic approach is refreshing and I have no issue with him either. He is great with the kids who play in the intermissions too.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #182
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just responding to the person who mentioned the arena announcers, I haven't been to a game yet this year, Flames or otherwise, so I haven't experienced this increased noise firsthand. Just giving my thoughts on arena announcers who are overly emphatic and loud.

I was never crazy about Beesley back in the day for the reasons mentioned, but I have a tonne of nostalgia from his voice by now, especially the 04 run. Agreed he does a good job and has been doing it long enough to be excellent at his craft. I still prefer deep voices in that role, like Dallas' for example. Just my 2 cents.

And the hype up guy sounds annoying, I didn't know they were doing that to such a level this year.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:54 PM   #183
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was at the Carolina game and I gotta say it is definitely uncomfortably loud now. They are almost hitting the brown note sometimes and it's hard on the ears. It was never like this before.

Maybe it is where I sit (section 205) because I went to the Vegas game and sat in 106 and it wasn't nearly as bad. But my seats are in 205 and that's what I care about.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:16 PM   #184
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I'm just responding to the person who mentioned the arena announcers, I haven't been to a game yet this year, Flames or otherwise, so I haven't experienced this increased noise firsthand. Just giving my thoughts on arena announcers who are overly emphatic and loud.

I was never crazy about Beesley back in the day for the reasons mentioned, but I have a tonne of nostalgia from his voice by now, especially the 04 run. Agreed he does a good job and has been doing it long enough to be excellent at his craft. I still prefer deep voices in that role, like Dallas' for example. Just my 2 cents.

And the hype up guy sounds annoying, I didn't know they were doing that to such a level this year.
Beesley has a very deep toned voice. So I’m thinking you’re confused as well. You need to read a little further, Troutman mistook Beesley for Grant. Beesley is an adamant professional and is neither obnoxious or annoying imo. He really is only on the mic for pre game / postgame info and goal scoring.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 11:16 AM   #185
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I do find Grant to be my favourite of the hype-people. Every now and then he gets thrown a curveball and I find he's comedically quick. Interviewing a 6 year old would probably be the most exhausting activity one can engage in (next to soccer). Yes the screaming might be a bit much, but I blame the sound volume more than the man.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 02:39 PM   #186
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Last night was awesome in the PL. If anybody from the Flames reads this it was perfect (imo).
Agreed, they found the sweet spot on Tuesday.
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 08:15 AM   #187
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

Random observations:

More props to the Wranglers exec who listened to feedback and dialed back the decibels. As for the Flames -- keep on complaining and emailing.

I've noticed many more restaurants/pubs also pumping music louder. Some data suggests loud noise encourages more drinking.

Big fan of "THIS or THAT". A welcome change to the stale jumotron antics that does really well for crowd engagement. Usher Cam is always a hit, even if its only the same two ushers that dance. If you give the people things worth cheering for, they will make noise.
Old 10-28-2022, 08:35 AM   #188
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post

I've noticed many more restaurants/pubs also pumping music louder. Some data suggests loud noise encourages more drinking.
Is that because you can't talk to your companions so you just drink? Or because it dulls your hearing to get loaded?

Last edited by Yeah_Baby; 10-28-2022 at 01:25 PM.
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #189
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Is that because you can't talk to your companions so you just drink? Or because it dulls your hearing to get loaded?
Maybe it's just because the sober people go somewhere else, so the customers you have left are drinking more on average.
Old 10-28-2022, 01:28 PM   #190
jaydaybay
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Spot on. Pretty much have to sit there in silence because cant hear anything else, even cheering just gets drowned out. Acoustics in the dome are such trash. Most ppl may not care but one of the reasons i cant wait for a new arena.

On top of that the crowds have been tame this year. Count on one hand even how many go flames go chants there have been. Big hits, rushes, close shots etc are often crickets. Again in part to the arena design imo. So concrete and cavernous.
jaydaybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:48 PM   #191
Willi Plett
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
Random observations:

More props to the Wranglers exec who listened to feedback and dialed back the decibels. As for the Flames -- keep on complaining and emailing.

Big fan of "THIS or THAT". A welcome change to the stale jumotron antics that does really well for crowd engagement. Usher Cam is always a hit, even if its only the same two ushers that dance. If you give the people things worth cheering for, they will make noise.
I’m at the Wranglers game and the loud is back and it’s worse than before. Seems likely we will leave before or during the 3rd as we have headaches now. PA too loud. Music too loud. Not fun loud. I need hearing protection for my health loud.

I’ve been to Flames and Wranglers this season and all but 1 or 2 Wranglers games have been too loud. This one is unbearable.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #192
sonq
Scoring Winger

Exp:

How's the volume been lately? I'm making my first trip to YYC in a few months and man I hate it when the music is too loud, it really can ruin the whole experiment. A new building and better sound systems would make a huge difference I suppose, I wonder if Edmonton has it better?

Mitch got those sensitive ears too
https://twitter.com/user/status/1598146346518663171

Last edited by sonq; 12-04-2022 at 11:45 AM.
sonq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:28 PM   #193
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonq View Post
How's the volume been lately? I'm making my first trip to YYC in a few months and man I hate it when the music is too loud, it really can ruin the whole experiment. A new building and better sound systems would make a huge difference I suppose, I wonder if Edmonton has it better?

Mitch got those sensitive ears too
https://twitter.com/user/status/1598146346518663171
I was at the game on Tuesday and it was fine. The guy doing the give-aways was maybe a bit louder than I would like...but overall it was comfortable.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:07 AM   #194
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Capitals game wasn’t too bad for sound.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:31 PM   #195
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Watching the game on tv here. The screaming dude during breaks and techno is making me deaf down in AZ.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote