Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 03:14 PM   #181
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't think the Jays were going to make any real big changes so im pleasantly surprised with this trade to be honest. Looking forward to some more moves now as it looks like they will need to add an OF now and maybe they do actually take a run at a guy like Correa.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #182
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think they either sign a FA cf (even if a stop gap solution like Peraltra) or they move one of their catchers for one in a trade. I think LH CF (or a RH CF and a LH 3/4 OF) plus a SP are the main things they need. I think they are done at reliever. I wonder if they think Pop could be a rotation option. He sure would be a solid sinker/fastball type.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:51 PM   #183
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I didn't think the Jays were going to make any real big changes so im pleasantly surprised with this trade to be honest. Looking forward to some more moves now as it looks like they will need to add an OF now and maybe they do actually take a run at a guy like Correa.

Completely doubt they add a ton more to their payroll. In fact I don't think that many of the large payroll teams are eager to add a lot given the economic uncertainty, but that's just a personal theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
I think they either sign a FA cf (even if a stop gap solution like Peraltra) or they move one of their catchers for one in a trade. I think LH CF (or a RH CF and a LH 3/4 OF) plus a SP are the main things they need. I think they are done at reliever. I wonder if they think Pop could be a rotation option. He sure would be a solid sinker/fastball type.

The more I think about their lineup diversity target this off-season, the more I think Kirk is a certainty to stay. He's everything they want in a bat at the plate in a playoff situation. He really makes opposing pitchers work. I'd say there's a huge percentage they keep him and move one of the two depending on who they're dealing with (win-now team = Jansen; win-later team= Moreno).

Another thing I was thinking about is positionally, there has to be minimal uncertainty when it comes to injuries or play. Got me thinking about who is an injury threat, and who is there uncertainty about producing consistently? Well, I think Gurriel is injury prone. I do think he'll be moved. Uncertainty on production I think are two positions - 3rd (Chapman) and 2nd (Biggio/Espinal). Chapman's bat was off last year as was Biggio's. Biggio has to be moved on with I'd think.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:06 PM   #184
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buddy still convinced the Jays aren't willing to pay Vladdy and they are gonna let him walk.
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:28 PM   #185
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Don't mind this deal at all. While Teo was a plus bat he sure was a liability in the field and his give af level appeared pretty low at times. He really did seem like a great guy but at this point I think Gurriel is the better player. It'll be interesting to see where this leads though.
Can’t remember the exact time, but there was a game this season where Buck just ripped Teoscar fir his work ethic and consistency. It was really out of character for Buck (or any of the SN personalities) to criticize an active roster player like that. I think there's more to this.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 11:58 PM   #186
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fine with this because of his FA status (and assume Jays had some early chats with his agent about what number his next contract would start with) and position in the order. More arms is good and more flexibility is too.

They made the mistake of not getting the bat they very publicly said they wanted last offseason and it contributed to some of their struggles, so hopefully this and future deals (C) and signings addresses all their needs this time, with the ability to add at the deadline as well.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:57 AM   #187
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593283882660642825
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 01:02 PM   #188
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the trade as they are bolstering their pitching depth, and I think moving Hernandez is a positive if they replace him with a quality, left handed bat for the outfield (which I am sure they will).

It will be interesting to see how Vladdy reacts to this though
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:05 PM   #189
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
I’d move Kirk. As an all-star, he’ll likely get the best return. I think you need to trade high on him. He’s probably the best hitter of the three but I think Moreno can hit .280 and offer quality at bats plus has pretty good speed. He doesn’t have Kirk’s power but the catcher position doesn’t have to be a position where you get power.
I agree, I think Kirk is the one you trade.

Moreno is a better all-around baseball player and better athlete. Also, as a prospect, his return value isn't as high.

Jansen is the least sexy of the 3, but I think he is a quality guy, good defensively, and is the perfect mentor and eventually backup catcher for Moreno.

Kirk is a one-trick pony and his value is currently high
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:24 PM   #190
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don’t think Kirk is a one trick pony. He actually has some very good catching stats. He’s not a great thrower but he is average there. What he is though is a very good receiver, likely better than Jansen. Mainly he is a very good pitch framer which is something Jansen is noisy on. Kirk also has a very good offensive skill set and gives an approach that others lack on this team. The problem is his fitness. He clearly wore down last year even after being slimmer. Sure he’s never going to be slim but he really needs to be more 220-240 than 260.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 02:38 PM   #191
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kirk is in rare company with the bat as a catcher. With the numbers he put up at his age he is in the company of pretty much just a small handful of former superstars and hall of famers.

If he wasn't such a mess physically he'd be a guy you would hang onto, no question. His bowling ball physique though is rightfully a cause for concern, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded because his value is probably sky high right now and the Jays have two other very high end catchers.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:46 PM   #192
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

You do not get a catcher that can hit like Kirk often. That he's not a defensive liability on top of that makes him a very rare find indeed.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 02:59 PM   #193
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Man Bellinger would be interesting.

He's had a rough two seasons...but A 27 year old former MVP and ROY, with a world series ring (and played in 3 WS) could be an amazing ad if he bounces back.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #194
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d hope if they could move Springer to RF that it might keep him in the field more and less in the DH spot. I don’t mind Kirk being a 2-3 C, 2-3 DH a week type if we have Jansen or Moreno to back him up. I doubt we would get a fulltime DH that would hit better than Kirk anyway.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:22 PM   #195
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

On one hand I don't want another reclamation project, but Bellinger is intriguing. Certainly it would only be for a year then after he'd cash out elsewhere, but it would be cool if they could bring some credibility in and he fits that bill.

Again, on the Kirk decision, his combination is rare. Specifically his bat is elite, as is his warding off fouls when borderline. It would be a terrible decision to deal him unless the return is outta this world. Despite his size I'd still keep him just because his bat is off the charts smart, and that's rare to get someone like that.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #196
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Kirk's strikezone recognition is elite. That has to be one of the more sustainable traits as a hitter that there is. Knows the strike zone and high contact rate and isnt a pop gun hitter. So thats a bat that can do more than catch.. The only real issue is that when you use him as a DH you don't have a backup catcher to bring into the game without losing your DH.
Old 11-17-2022, 07:11 PM   #197
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #198
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my view if they trade a catcher, Jansen is the guy to go

He has had a strong season, value might not get any higher...
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 11:07 AM   #199
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Even though they’re clips I had no idea he was that dumb. Boy smokes way too much based on those clips. Nothing between though ears.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:21 PM   #200
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1593778778798292992
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote