Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2022, 11:16 PM   #761
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Hardly read this whole thread but having moved from Texas to Burnaby I’d have to disagree with some of the sentiments said about unfriendliness. Now in my case I do have two young kids and we meet a lot of people through school but I’ve found our community to be very friendly and supportive. We live in the Burquitlam area and found it to be a wonderful place to live other than of course the cost of living being high. But everything else here has been great.

That's not far from me. I'm just west of Gaglardi. Are you in a new tower in North Road or tucked back in a little? That area has changed alot in 10 years. But it's decent out this way.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:03 AM   #762
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
That's not far from me. I'm just west of Gaglardi. Are you in a new tower in North Road or tucked back in a little? That area has changed alot in 10 years. But it's decent out this way.
Also yes just west of Gaglardi. In townhouses on the slopes of Burnaby Mountain. Nice place to live anyway.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 09:43 AM   #763
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASe333 View Post
powderjunkie beat me to it but winter tires just need to be all season with 3.5mm of tread depth and no ones checking anyways.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires

It is true poor tires play into the winter driving problems here but I've watched people in trucks on flat ground spinning their tires and solution is to gun it harder. I'm not going to completely blame dumb winter drivers here but they definitely are to blame as it just creates more ice and there are so many vehicles that shouldn't be out. Busses and semis not making it up hills or over bridges though indicates its mostly just snow falling at 0C freezing and refreezing though. I think this time was particularly bad because snow really didn't start falling until about 3PM just as rush hour started and no one stayed home or went early.

On Vancouver Island as soon as there are signs of snow we shut down. Looking at traffic times probably ~50% didn't work or worked from home on Tuesday since it had snowed a few cm earlier that morning.
The snow was all gone by the end of the day. Courtney shut down as they actually had accumulation that didn't immediately melt. Everyone should have M+S tires in Greater Victoria/Vancouver since by law you have to have them to go on the Malahat or anywhere near mountains.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:28 PM   #764
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Also yes just west of Gaglardi. In townhouses on the slopes of Burnaby Mountain. Nice place to live anyway.
We could be neighbours!
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #765
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vancouver is Dying youtuber getting rightfully roasted for being a dick.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1601553736874491904
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:47 PM   #766
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

At least the original announcement is good news.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 10:54 PM   #767
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool. We should use Indigenous names for things more often, as much as they are willing to share of course.

May need to start teaching how to properly read and pronounce the names though. I would have no idea how to read that name without some instruction.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:04 PM   #768
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first link in the CTV story is a Youtube clip of the pronunciation and meaning. While it doesn’t quite roll off the tongue at first initially, it’s not impossible to get used to.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:14 PM   #769
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Cool. We should use Indigenous names for things more often, as much as they are willing to share of course.

May need to start teaching how to properly read and pronounce the names though. I would have no idea how to read that name without some instruction.
It's written with the international phonetic alphabet, so useful for all languages once you learn it.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #770
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Local good guy Chip Wilson helped fund that video.

https://pressprogress.ca/right-wing-...vers-homeless/
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #771
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Happy to see more schools take on Indigenous names, but I will confess to not understanding what the plan is when in comes to signage that nobody without a linguistics degree can read though.

I've noticed a couple of road signs now have the simplified pronunciation following the phonetic spelling so that's at least a bit of a help. But if the plan is to hope everyone learns the phonetic alphabet... good luck with that...
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:42 AM   #772
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's be honest here, nobody is going to learn the international phonetic alphabet.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 10:47 AM   #773
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This wouldn't be a problem if we would just all move to Esperanto already.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #774
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Let's be honest here, nobody is going to learn the international phonetic alphabet.
They will if we steal 5/6 year-olds from their parents and lock them in schools until they are 16 or 18 for 100 years.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #775
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Local good guy Chip Wilson helped fund that video.

https://pressprogress.ca/right-wing-...vers-homeless/
That article is stupid.
The video doesn't demonize homeless, it highlights the magnitude of the problems everyone knows is there.

One of the major issues in Vancouver is how this has been turned into a left vs right fight. Anyone who admits there's a crime or drug issue gets labeled far right.

It's easier to throw labels and watch more people die on the streets than to admit there's a problem.
Why not rebut the video with better solutions if it's so far off?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:11 AM   #776
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
foxtrot uniform charlie kilo!
Old 12-12-2022, 11:41 AM   #777
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We could use a domestic phonetic alphabet that translates the international one.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 11:49 AM   #778
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
We could use a domestic phonetic alphabet that translates the international one.
Yes, I’m in favour of that, but the Musqueam aren’t which seems needlessly obtuse.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #779
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
That article is stupid.
The video doesn't demonize homeless, it highlights the magnitude of the problems everyone knows is there.

One of the major issues in Vancouver is how this has been turned into a left vs right fight. Anyone who admits there's a crime or drug issue gets labeled far right.

It's easier to throw labels and watch more people die on the streets than to admit there's a problem.
Why not rebut the video with better solutions if it's so far off?

Well, it actually offered no solutions except the overarching theme of drug use should be more stigmatized than it is already. Wow, that’s a big help.

Maybe if people weren’t afraid to die from drugs laced with god-knows-what, and they had some kind of housing, they wouldn’t be out on the streets doing them.

People are going to relapse, that’s almost certain, so why make it like playing Russian Roulette?

If the city isn’t going to do anything really meaningful then at least do the bare minimum to prevent needless deaths.

I don’t know, imagine your kid is experimenting with drugs or waiting to get into rehab, wouldn’t you prefer a clean supply rather than saying “we can’t glorify this by supplying clean drugs!”.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:02 PM   #780
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's a guide to Musqueam.
https://www.musqueam.bc.ca/departmen...ices/language/

People may not want to learn IPA, and don't have to learn the whole IPA to read Musqueam anyways, but if the goal is actual preservation of language then it also can't just be done using a writing system that fails to capture the sounds of the language. Signs etc. that use both the anglicized version and the IPA version are at least practical for English speakers while not completely erasing the proper pronunciations, but just doing the anglicized version without the IPA or some language-specific characters would be contrary to preserving language and culture.

In the end you just can't correctly pronounce words/names from a different language without learning the sounds of the language, so if people want preservation and public representation of the language they should try to learn at least a few new sounds and symbols.

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world