Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #3281
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1598112702320312320

Can’t wait for the next Emergency Act to be authorized based on climate change.
How long did it take for them to unfreeze your bank accounts?
Old 11-30-2022, 08:14 PM   #3282
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1598112702320312320

Can’t wait for the next Emergency Act to be authorized based on climate change.
That would be wild - BC declares states of emergencies almost annually due to climate related issues and Alberta has done it due to flooding and wildfires in recent years.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:42 AM   #3283
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 12:53 AM   #3284
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Could you provide the full context of that Trudeau quote, please? At what point was this statement made? Was it days/weeks after any country in the world would have made arrests/shut down protests due the protest crippling a city/economy/border? Or was it made on day 1?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 05:41 AM   #3285
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s pretty easy to read what is permitted in a protest before it becomes illegal. https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sj...eck/art2c.html

Also… anti-COVID and mandate protests are STILL happening, all over Canada. They are just operating under the rules of peaceful assembly, so it’s fine.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 12-01-2022 at 05:47 AM.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #3286
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Agreed - I can see why YouTube wouldn't like it, but we've had rules in place for Radio and TV forever.

That said - YouTube is also a different animal where theoretically where you are from doesn't matter and there aren't gate keepers so being Canadian next door to the giant US is less of an issue compared to radio or tv where networks have so much control.

Google does a great job of serving up local and Canadian search results. It’s actually a feature. There’s no reason they couldn’t do the same for YouTube.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 06:53 AM   #3287
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh Jeffman, you've really got him dead to rights this time!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #3288
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
lol. god damn you are going to stroke out when Justin wins again..
Old 12-01-2022, 11:58 AM   #3289
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Could you provide the full context of that Trudeau quote, please? At what point was this statement made? Was it days/weeks after any country in the world would have made arrests/shut down protests due the protest crippling a city/economy/border? Or was it made on day 1?
So context was this was the same day as Biden called Trudeau and he came out with some very strong language that the Federal government was at the end of allowing this to go on, and were about to impose some real consequences if it continued. His focus on this quote was to separate those protesting Covid restrictions from the convidiots and give those people peacefully protesting a chance to go home before the crack down. It was a recognition that many people were there with very real concerns and had a very real right to protest and he didn't want them to get caught up in the crackdown against those who turned a protest into an occupation.

The comparison to China is an unfair characterization, because he believed that the people peacefully protesting Covid had a right to be there. And he acknowledged them and that they had been heard. He wasn't trying to stifle their protest, he was trying to protect them against the measures about to be placed to deal with the blockade.

Quote:
"I want to make something very clear. The illegal blockades seeking to take our neighborhoods and economy hostage and the collective Covid fatigue we are facing are two very separate things. If you joined the protests because you are tired of Covid, you now need to understand, you are breaking laws. The consequences are becoming more and more severe. You don't want to end up losing your license ... we've heard your frustration with Covid, with the measures there to keep people safe, we've heard you. It's time to go home now."
5 Min mark

The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2022, 10:05 AM   #3290
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of big news, that I haven't heard elsewhere. I was unaware that people were being separated from their families for some reason. Why would that be happening, if they were all here together?

It also bypasses all oversight for a larger group of people than the work visa program brings in to begin with, once you take into consideration both spouses and eligible children. I give it two years before this decision is exploited.

Quote:
In a bid to keep families of open work permit holders together, which includes many Indians, Canada has announced that starting 2023 their spouses will be eligible to work in the country.

Open work permits allow foreign nationals to legally work for any employer and in any job in Canada.

"Today we are making an announcement that will make it easier for employers to find workers and for families to remain together while they're here," Sean Fraser, Canada's Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, announced on Friday.
https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/di...benefit-457291
Old 12-03-2022, 11:32 AM   #3291
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Kind of big news, that I haven't heard elsewhere. I was unaware that people were being separated from their families for some reason. Why would that be happening, if they were all here together?

It also bypasses all oversight for a larger group of people than the work visa program brings in to begin with, once you take into consideration both spouses and eligible children. I give it two years before this decision is exploited.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/di...benefit-457291
I really don’t like the worker programs. It’s essentially importing slavery. Get people to do jobs we don’t want to at wages we won’t do them for and don’t give them the long term benefits of citizenships. Make them permanent residents.

My understanding is they weren’t being separated but they weren’t allowed to work so economically it may have made sense for a spouse to stay in their home country while the other works in Canada.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #3292
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I really don’t like the worker programs. It’s essentially importing slavery. Get people to do jobs we don’t want to at wages we won’t do them for and don’t give them the long term benefits of citizenships. Make them permanent residents.

My understanding is they weren’t being separated but they weren’t allowed to work so economically it may have made sense for a spouse to stay in their home country while the other works in Canada.
I guess the side benefit is perhaps less money leaving Canada, as the ones working here, supporting a family back home tend to send a lot of it out of country.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 12:40 PM   #3293
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian Red Cross assisting Ontario hospitals. Well done Doug Ford.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1599410701940166656
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:29 PM   #3294
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup the poster mentioning that families are forced to make the decision to live separately is the main contributing factor here. The consulting firm I work for brings in a lot of high skilled workers from India and many are forced to live and work here alone while their spouse is back in India (my personal experience is it's 50/50 male/female as women in India are as highly skilled in IT as the men and our practice makes a point as well for equal ratios when we build out our specific practice). It sucks that our government used to essentially force these families to be apart (obviously includes kids), so this is great news to me.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 01:49 PM   #3295
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
To be fair, many of the jobs are not low wages - salaries paid are in the same bracket as local Canadians with the same skills in my space. A mid-level, non manager consultant in my group is getting 6 figures right now. I imagine though, like you said, other jobs might be? Though even this I'm a bit doubtful of. Your point about these people being willing to work jobs we won't is true though but that's more a reflection of our population being a bit entitled when it comes to this. The possible wage disparity really isn't surprising to me though - our government condemns many things of other countries but quietly do some of it ourselves.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #3296
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
To be fair, many of the jobs are not low wages - salaries paid are in the same bracket as local Canadians with the same skills in my space. A mid-level, non manager consultant in my group is getting 6 figures right now. I imagine though, like you said, other jobs might be? Though even this I'm a bit doubtful of. Your point about these people being willing to work jobs we won't is true though but that's more a reflection of our population being a bit entitled when it comes to this. The possible wage disparity really isn't surprising to me though - our government condemns many things of other countries but quietly do some of it ourselves.
There is a high wage stream of the TFW program and the low wage stream. Not sure of the cut offs but my comments of wages we won’t do them for are specifically to the low wage portion of the program. While you are required to offer the same wage that non TFWs are making the fact that you can’t fill the position isn’t because there isn’t enough workers it because you aren’t paying enough to fill the role. Yes that may drive inflation and yes some services may not be possible to fill at the wages required to attract a person and remain profitable. I dont have much sympathy for this as either you should be allowing permanent immigration or allow the wage market to adjust to whatever is required for these roles to be filled.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2022, 03:55 PM   #3297
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Yeah, not exactly a big proponent of the worker programs, but if we are going to have theme in place, it makes no sense in not allowing them to bring their families, and allow them a clear path to residency.

Now the money should at least stay in Canada.

I also used to be 100% in the 'pay more and you'll find help camp', but the least couple months I gotta say, I'm beginning to think that people literally don't want to work anymore. I know of lots trades positions with GOOD companies, and they can't fill them. Good pay, benefits, training opportunities....basically everything one would want to start a good career. Can't find anyone to fill the positions. Crazy times.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #3298
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Canadians are definitely getting lazy. No doubt about that.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #3299
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Canadians are definitely getting lazy. No doubt about that.
Because they want to be better compensated for their work?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #3300
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Because they want to be better compensated for their work?
Little of column A and B, imo. There's so many people that just see themselves above any sort of labour/customer service/field work to the point of losing their house after two years of not working before they suck up their pride and start bringing in $23/hr cash flow to hold them over. It's crazy.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote