Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2022, 11:38 AM   #4141
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Dude I think you're just thinking of cars from the 80s and 90s. I know for a fact my 2011 Sienna I bought brand new didn't come with one. I'm certain my 2022 Telluride doesn't have one, but I could be wrong. Either way it is irrelevant since it'll never be used. Maybe my 2016 F-150 has one, but I've never seen it. If it's there it'll be buried under the hood somewhere. It has never spent a night of its life in my garage (I'm the original owner) and has not once failed to start. My Mercedes (2012) I'm very sure doesn't have one. Again, never looked, though. Daughter's 2017 VW Sportwagen has never been plugged in and lives exclusively outside. Maybe it has one, but I've never seen it. I'll take a peek next time I have the hood open because now I'm curious.

All this is to say it's not a BMW thing and it may be time to recalibrate your thoughts on plugging in cars in Calgary. It's a thing of the past.
I just bought a new Mazda 3 and it came with a block heater standard, which surprised me as I too thought they were a thing of the past. I don't see when I'll ever use it since I actually use my garage for a car instead of a hoarding space, but it's nice to have I guess
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM   #4142
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still plug in on really cold nights, not as a need but just to have less engine wear and get the car up to temp quicker
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #4143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I (not counting wife vehicles) haven't had a block heater in a vehicle for at least a decade maybe more. Maybe it was a Mustang that was the last one. I haven't owned a German vehicle that had one. It's never been an issue for any of the vehicles I've owned starting up in extreme cold.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:00 PM   #4144
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Below -20 my car starts ok but it doesn't sound like it's having a very nice time for the first few cranks so I usually plug it in.

And I blame my dad for not being able to use the garage my half is filled with his tools and stuff after they moved into our basement suite.

Hopefully will finish going through that all and I can use it again next winter.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:21 PM   #4145
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Block Heaters. Can only speak for Ford and GM as those are who I’ve ordered vehicles for. Block heaters are an option and MOST dealers in this area order their vehicles with a block heater, it’s usually around a $200 option, or bundled into some other package (Canadian value pkg or something like that) on a build sheet. Definitely not standard equipment as 90% of the vehicles manufactured are destined for areas where a block heater would be useless.

Brought in a truck from a dealer in Penticton and this dealership did not order their trucks with Block heaters. Aftermarket install was 3x the $150 option on a build.

Also want to add that in most vehicles produced post 2009~ block heater cords (one of the ones under the hood) have built a built in thermostat and when pulled in, will not turn in until the temp drops below -17. So you will not hear the block heater turn on if you’re plugging your can in at -12.

One more thing, some newer models have an oil pan heater as opposed to a block heater, same set with plug in and all that, similar effect, but technically not a block heater.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-30-2022 at 01:33 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 03:13 PM   #4146
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

With a high quality synthetic, I find the need for a block heater is much lower in -20 to -30. I say this as some who parks on-street.

What is absolute kryptonite for my car in these temps is the battery going flat. As such a battery warmer has far more of an impact on the car starting for me than a block heater. Admittedly, part of this is because of a power hungry Compustar remote starter, and the fact I may not drive the car for 3-4 days.

This is what I bought, and it seems to extend battery life noticably:

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/t...w.ds#store=930

My 85' Volvo came with one of these from the factory - I always wondered why it wasn' a more common thing.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:50 PM   #4147
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Do any cars come from the factory with a block heater? I thought it was pretty much always a dealer add?
I thought all made in NA or destined for NA came with? Maybe not? [...]
Not at all. Most cars sold south of the 49th parallel don't have them, and most new cars in Canada in the last 15 years or so don't either. They're a dealer-installed add-on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just bought a new Mazda 3 and it came with a block heater standard, which surprised me as I too thought they were a thing of the past. I don't see when I'll ever use it since I actually use my garage for a car instead of a hoarding space, but it's nice to have I guess
My Mazda 3 beater (2010) has one and I make use of it every time it's -18ish (0 °F) or colder. My car has never failed to start, but it sure doesn't like it. Never has, even from new.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #4148
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hi looking for advice on scratch repair.

I have a nice glossy black Jeep Wrangler with a hard top. Dumb me took a wrong turn in a low parkade and a pipe scratched the roof near the driver side. You can't see it unless you are 6'3" or taller but I will always know its there. Its too deep to buff.

Rather than paint the whole roof I think they could just mask and spray a one inch wide strip to cover the scratch.

Thoughts? Thank you.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 04:11 PM   #4149
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm.

Last edited by Ashasx; 11-30-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 02:27 PM   #4150
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is the paint metallic? If so much harder to blend, also the scratch will have to be filled. Sounds like the repair you need is standard body work, fill, sand, prime, paint.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 02:42 PM   #4151
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My RRS key-fob battery died while I was away and it wasn't getting enough juice from the ignition cylinder's induction charging to keep a charge for more than a couple hours. Starting the vehicle was fine, but the doors could not be opened with the remote.

B&E Electronics on Manitou Road SE for the win. I picked up two 20mm coin cell battery holders (through-hole type), then desoldered the LIR2032's posts from the key-fob's PCB, soldered the battery holder in its place and installed a new LIR2032. Works like a charm and took maybe 10 minutes per key-fob, and I say that as someone who is not particularly experienced at soldering to begin with.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:01 AM   #4152
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pylon, a few months back you said you expected the used market to soften a lot in 6 months, are you seeing and signs of that? I've been watching some trucks but haven't seen any sort of softening yet. In zero rush.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #4153
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pylon, a few months back you said you expected the used market to soften a lot in 6 months, are you seeing and signs of that? I've been watching some trucks but haven't seen any sort of softening yet. In zero rush.
What model(s) are you looking at?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #4154
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What model(s) are you looking at?
Something "small". I'd prefer a Frontier newer than 2014 or so, but also considering a Colorado/Canyon. Tacoma's are too uncomfortable/over priced. Really the Frontier is the best option for me in a king cab with 6ft box. Bonus if it comes with a cap.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 11:36 AM   #4155
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've noticed the smaller trucks really hold their value lately. I've been looking at the same market.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #4156
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I'm thinking about a purchase in early January and the $20-40K used range is wild. Good deals are slowly showing up but snatched up fast for obvious reasons. I started looking at options in BC and Sask and there's options that I'm considering. Weekend flight + taxi/uber + out of province and cost to return are $500 ish or less. You should be able to get the PST back, so it's less of a factor.

There's more ICE options in BC swapping to with hybrids and EVs being crazier there. Lots of 1 way flight options to Vancouver for $100 or less.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #4157
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I always like having a car in mind I'd buy if my current ride were to suddenly disappear, but I've been struggling to come up with something I really like, lately. Until now......gun to my head, I have to buy a vehicle for around $60k in the next hour it would be a Genesis G70 3.3 TT with drift mode. What a great value that thing seems to be. My back is gibbled right now, but as soon as I'm good I'm going to go sit in one to see what I think, but on paper and in reviews, I like it better than the competitors including MB, BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. and it's way less expensive, too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 12:23 PM   #4158
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have had a few electrical gremlins with our GV70 which seems to be a common thing with Genesis vehicles. Also the 3.3T has absolutely abysmal fuel economy. I was getting identical fuel mileage with a 503HP S58 engine in my X3MC. It's that bad.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2022, 12:33 PM   #4159
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
We have had a few electrical gremlins with our GV70 which seems to be a common thing with Genesis vehicles. Also the 3.3T has absolutely abysmal fuel economy. I was getting identical fuel mileage with a 503HP S58 engine in my X3MC. It's that bad.
Do you know what you're getting for MPG? My current car is no great shakes, either, so I'm not sure if it would be totally shocking.

Electrical gremlins are annoying. I'm not looking to get rid of my current car, but it is 10 years old so at some point you'd think a German car would start misbehaving. Obviously I've just jinxed it, but my CLS550 is probably the most reliable car I've ever owned. And it's had a tune on it since about 5,000 kms (about 115,000 kms on it now).
Old 12-08-2022, 12:35 PM   #4160
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think of mullets when I see a Trans Am. As soon as I see a black one as shown above I think of Burt Reynolds only.
And a young, very hot, "girl next door" Sally Field.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote