Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2022, 12:40 AM   #3181
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

White Lotus season one on the other hand was amazingly written and acted. It was not unredeemable characters, relying on crazy story turns and crazy ideas to keep you tuned in. It was a beautiful, direct shot at white wealth and the consequences of their whimsical, wealthy lifestyles, while perfectly showcasing the other side (hotel workers, island residents, minorities) and the effects their decisions and actions from their elevated lifestyle have on them.

I actually had to read some explanations on the season finale to better understand some of the nuance on the reason for certain actions and events and I was even more satisfied after that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:43 AM   #3182
jayswin

Exp:

If anyone hasn't watched White Lotus I would highly recommend it. Just starting season two now, hopefully its just as good.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:02 AM   #3183
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
If anyone hasn't watched White Lotus I would highly recommend it. Just starting season two now, hopefully its just as good.
I think it takes a bit more time to get rolling than S1, but as of right now I'd put it right on par, maybe even in some ways slightly above. that's hard for me to say because I loved the hawaiian setting last year so much. not that this year's coastal Italian playground is anything to sneeze at.

sorry for all the confusion about my White Lotus / Succession comparison. I meant that they are alike in their ability to make me squirm and laugh at the same time. that's about where the similarities end.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #3184
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Based on some of the discussions in here on White Lotus, I put it on the other night with my wife. She was like "What's this?" And I told her - "Not sure, but there's been some high praise online, so thought we should take a look."

Needless to say we binged season 1 in three nights and are all caught up and waiting for the next episode of season 2. Great writing, hilarious, obscene, captivating, sometimes predictable. Definitely recommend, as others have.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 11:38 AM   #3185
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Based on some of the discussions in here on White Lotus, I put it on the other night with my wife. She was like "What's this?" And I told her - "Not sure, but there's been some high praise online, so thought we should take a look."

Needless to say we binged season 1 in three nights and are all caught up and waiting for the next episode of season 2. Great writing, hilarious, obscene, captivating, sometimes predictable. Definitely recommend, as others have.
This is almost exactly how it played out for me. Highly recommend.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:29 PM   #3186
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I prefer White Lotus over Succession as well as it seems succession could jump the shark at any time, turning into a billions / suits type of scenario the longer they go on.

However I have hope for Succession still.. the dostoevskian quality of having no redeemable character / defined protagonist is kind of nice.. as long as it ends in tragedy I'll remain satisfied
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 12:38 PM   #3187
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My take away from White Lotus is basically that everybody has their own problems and stuff going on that no one else is necessarily privy too. I haven’t read any of the analysis on it though. It’s just a fun show, and I think this gives some great actors a bit of an opportunity to show of their abilities. Damn does Sicily look gorgeous though. Now I want to visit.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 01:10 PM   #3188
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
My take away from White Lotus is basically that everybody has their own problems and stuff going on that no one else is necessarily privy too. I haven’t read any of the analysis on it though. It’s just a fun show, and I think this gives some great actors a bit of an opportunity to show of their abilities. Damn does Sicily look gorgeous though. Now I want to visit.
It's definitely meant to be deeper than "everyone has their own problems" and the theme was not meant to be just a fun show. Mike White was very prupsoful with the theme.

Quote:
Such an approach highlights the central themes of wealth and colonialism, challenging how the privileged class can afford to behave carelessly, and the burden this places on marginalized groups and the working class.
Quote:
This is important because it supports one of the main themes in The White Lotus: the notion that the working class is powerless against the entrenched mechanisms that unequally distribute wealth. it's designed this way precisely to highlight the horror of contemporary western class stratification.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 02:27 PM   #3189
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
I prefer White Lotus over Succession as well as it seems succession could jump the shark at any time, turning into a billions / suits type of scenario the longer they go on.

However I have hope for Succession still.. the dostoevskian quality of having no redeemable character / defined protagonist is kind of nice.. as long as it ends in tragedy I'll remain satisfied
Well after 3 seasons it is certainly much better written than Billions ever was. While over the top, there is a sense of realism to what the actors do and say that only well written shows have.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #3190
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's definitely meant to be deeper than "everyone has their own problems" and the theme was not meant to be just a fun show. Mike White was very prupsoful with the theme.
Maybe white lotus spoilers? Just expanding on what was already posted. Plus it’s old now. That’s on you if you haven’t seen it. Spoilering anyways just in case.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-29-2022 at 03:49 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 10:55 AM   #3191
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Avenue 5 season 2 wrapped up and it was fantastic.

If you want to see Hugh Laurie deal with existential crises then this is the show for you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 06:18 PM   #3192
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, I'm 3 episodes through 'The Patient' and it is exceptional.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2022, 06:54 PM   #3193
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I just noticed that season 2 of Slow Horses has started.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:48 PM   #3194
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I just noticed that season 2 of Slow Horses has started.
I'm looking forward to it, Season 1 was great and there have been rumours that after this series is done Gary Oldman is going to retire from acting.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:57 PM   #3195
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody watching the “Let the Right One In” series? Worth watching or no?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:35 PM   #3196
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wednesday is pretty good if you still crave some more Stranger Things. Makes me want to do a rewatch of both Addam's family 90s movies I grew up with.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #3197
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're really enjoying Wednesday, its got something that just appeals to my sense of humour and its got a great cast, its well done. Overall a really good show.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #3198
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also enjoying Wednesday. Binged most of it today.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #3199
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Avenue 5 season 2 wrapped up and it was fantastic.

If you want to see Hugh Laurie deal with existential crises then this is the show for you.
I'm 5 episodes into the second season and this is a prime candidate for the 'Series you gave up on' thread.

What a waste of potential. Yeesh.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #3200
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another vote for Wednesday. Rare tv series that everyone in our home, including 15YO daughter, enjoyed
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post: