Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #4061
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Alcohol or tea? Where do you live that people wait in line for those things? I sit at a table and somebody brings those things.
Even if I'm sitting I better not have to wait more than 5 minutes.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:13 PM   #4062
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Even if I'm sitting I better not have to wait more than 5 minutes.
And precisely how much Ranch dressing are you expecting during that 5 minute interval??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #4063
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You can be selling the craziest, best, most delicious item of all time. If there's a line longer than 5 minutes, I'm not going
On the flip side, I always find it amusing when you see someone freak out at a restaurant when they're told their table will be 15 minutes, and they huff a "nevermind I'll just go ____ (insert some place 10-15 minutes away, also very likely with a lineup)"
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #4064
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
And precisely how much Ranch dressing are you expecting during that 5 minute interval??

I know what you're doing, and I like it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #4065
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Does anyone subscribe to Costco emails?

They send like 3-4 a day, over 15+ emails a week. Like wtf, I do like to be in the know about Costco sale but who decided to spam customers so much??
Yeah I unsubscribed after a while because of this.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:27 PM   #4066
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I know this has been brought up several times in the past but it's still never ceases to amaze how many people drive in the dark with their headlights off. It's almost an everyday occurrence for me on my way to work in the morning. It's getting to the point where headlights need to be full time automatic with the ability to turn them off in the infotainment system as too many people just don't realize why they are struggling.
Yeah it doesn't make any sense. Most of the time the interior lights are also dark if they don't turn the headlights on, so how is that not a reminder when it's dark outside to turn the headlights on? Not to mention just the fact you can't see in front of you compared to when lights are on!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:20 AM   #4067
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

I have never understood the point of real/fresh cut Christmas trees.

Would someone please enlighten me? Because it just seems like a giant waste, dirty mess, possibility of introducing bugs/insects, disposal time...not to mention a yearly expense where you can instead buy one artificial tree that's good for a decade+.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #4068
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would someone please enlighten me? Because it just seems like a giant waste, dirty mess, possibility of introducing bugs/insects, disposal time...not to mention a yearly expense where you can instead buy one artificial tree that's good for a decade+.

Not really my thing either, but it’s like a $20 expense. It’s not breaking a lot of banks.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:34 AM   #4069
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The smell and the activity of getting it (if you get one from crown land especially).
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-05-2022, 09:41 AM   #4070
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And artificial tree is well artificial. So the question is do you value the imperfection and randomness that is the real tree over the consistency of a fake tree.

Time wise I think they are about equal. To make an artificial tree look nice there is a lot of fluffing and bending of branches. This is compared with cutting your real tree up at the end and tossing in your green bin. To me it’s a wash.

The mess Ive never really noticed. It’s just sweeping which I do anyways and doesn’t increase sweeping load.

Bugs I hadn’t heard or experienced that as an issue so Ive never considered that risk.

So I guess outside of price I don’t see downside in either risk or increased worm. As for price I think it really depends on one you are getting. My preference is that cheap artificial trees look awful whereas a crappy real tree looks nice. In this set of preferences going into the woods and cutting down a tree (including gas cost) works out the same or cheaper than an artificial tree.

Environmentally the artificial one is probably better because of gas consumption.

So the above is the logical reason that it’s a wash between fake and real. The real reason is the emotional one.

Going out and cutting down a tree is a fun Christmas tradition. The smell and appearance of the real tree triggers memories that the artificial ones don’t.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #4071
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
And artificial tree is well artificial. So the question is do you value the imperfection and randomness that is the real tree over the consistency of a fake tree.

Time wise I think they are about equal. To make an artificial tree look nice there is a lot of fluffing and bending of branches. This is compared with cutting your real tree up at the end and tossing in your green bin. To me it’s a wash.

The mess Ive never really noticed. It’s just sweeping which I do anyways and doesn’t increase sweeping load.

Bugs I hadn’t heard or experienced that as an issue so Ive never considered that risk.

So I guess outside of price I don’t see downside in either risk or increased worm. As for price I think it really depends on one you are getting. My preference is that cheap artificial trees look awful whereas a crappy real tree looks nice. In this set of preferences going into the woods and cutting down a tree (including gas cost) works out the same or cheaper than an artificial tree.

Environmentally the artificial one is probably better because of gas consumption.

So the above is the logical reason that it’s a wash between fake and real. The real reason is the emotional one.

Going out and cutting down a tree is a fun Christmas tradition. The smell and appearance of the real tree triggers memories that the artificial ones don’t.
Easy fix.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #4072
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Easy fix.

Spoiler!
Ah yes micro plastics in my home please.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:03 AM   #4073
JagrBombs68
Draft Pick

People taking the Elf on the shelf thing too far with their kids and posting it on social media, its not an opportunity to 'get back' at your kids by wrecking their toys or cutting holes in their clothes while they are wearing them sleeping. It supposed to be fun not a prank or borderline child abuse
JagrBombs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:06 AM   #4074
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Ah yes micro plastics in my home please.
I use both types. Wherever I am spending Christmas, I want a real tree. most years we go to Canmore and have one there, but I have an artificial one so we can have one up for December in Calgary. Because of covid we ended harvesting a real one for Calgary the past couple years, which was nice. But the artifical is much less effort to have something up.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:01 AM   #4075
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
People taking the Elf on the shelf thing too far with their kids and posting it on social media, its not an opportunity to 'get back' at your kids by wrecking their toys or cutting holes in their clothes while they are wearing them sleeping. It supposed to be fun not a prank or borderline child abuse
I feel like you could use the movie, "The gods must be crazy" as an allegory to modern social media. It's a thing that can have so many uses to certain people, but in reality, it's basically trash.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:02 AM   #4076
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I feel like you could use the movie, "The gods must be crazy" as an allegory to modern social media. It's a thing that can have so many uses to certain people, but in reality, it's basically trash.
It is super useful if you would like to market something. It is essentially a giant advertisement.
Old 12-05-2022, 11:58 AM   #4077
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

What GMG is everyone insisting on only using the left-hand left-turn lane on EB 50 Ave SW heading to Crowchild Trail NB and not the right-hand left-turn lane. All that does is make the right lane nearly unusable after a snowfall because it hasn’t gotten enough people driving over it like the left lane, meaning fewer cars end up making it through the light.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #4078
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I like real trees, but IMO they are definitely a bit more time/work than artificial. Refilling the water every day or two can be a bit of a pain, and there is definitely more cleanup work.

Another big drawback can be allergies/air quality. I'm sure some trees/years are worse than others, but it was a bit of an epiphany last time we went real and realized it.

We bought our artificial used, so I'm pretty much a hero.

We don't do this now, but the ultimate time saver if you have a spare room is to take off the most fragile ornaments and then just move the whole thing for the other 11 months. It kills some of the ritual (though you've still got other decor, stockings, and a few ornaments to replace, etc), but it's nice in the years where it feels like a real chore to do the whole tree.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #4079
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What GMG is everyone insisting on only using the left-hand left-turn lane on EB 50 Ave SW heading to Crowchild Trail NB and not the right-hand left-turn lane. All that does is make the right lane nearly unusable after a snowfall because it hasn’t gotten enough people driving over it like the left lane, meaning fewer cars end up making it through the light.
I think you're looking at this all wrong.

I love when that happens, because it conveniently identifies the strugglers & all-season tire crew that are scared to drive on snow and keeps them all in a single line.

Meanwhile, I can happily drive up to the front of the right-hand / outside turn lane and safely merge onto the road, without being stuck in the line of 3 strugglers from the LH lane that make it through the light, merging at 22km/h.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 01:41 PM   #4080
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagrBombs68 View Post
We started EOTS with our 3 year old this year.

We just explained that it was a new fried of Santa's visiting and that she was here to hear all about the kind/helpful things our daughter had done for her family and friends.

The whole watching her 24/7 and making sure she's not being bad thing seems super sketchy and unappealing.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote