Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2022, 11:55 AM   #4741
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Watched Black Adam. I am a huge supporter of Dwayne Johnson, he did some outreach make a wish for a family friend and it was awesome, I will never ever stop supporting him just based on this selfless act.

That being said, this movie was not good. 5/10.

1 mark for costume design, everyone looked good even Hawkman which isn't an easy task. Except the villain was ripped straight out of a PS2 video game.

1 mark for some really great action sequences, although ripped off from what X-Men DOF did, but still well done.

1 mark for Dwayne not needing a muscle suit and absolutely bringing the character to life.

1 mark for at least pacing quite well, even if it didn't really make sense.

Bonus point for the post credit scene.

The whole thing was just a mess I don't really know where to start. I was entertained but it felt like this movie was written in the 90s. You look at what other studios are putting out tackling the same kind of nonsensical situations and then what they did for BA and it just falls short.

I look forward to seeing more of DJ as Black Adam, but hopefully Gunna and co. can make the next outing a better experience.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:53 AM   #4742
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Speaking of the Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. There is a secret uncredited cameo or so fans think

Spoiler!

Last edited by sureLoss; 11-28-2022 at 08:58 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 09:28 AM   #4743
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not. It's this guy: https://www.instagram.com/troybeecham/

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6885341/
Old 11-28-2022, 09:42 AM   #4744
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I thought it was heinously bad. Like they tried to go for Star Wars holiday special so bad it's good but it was just bad. An unwatchable 45 minutes of pure uninspired garbage.

Except the call back to IW and Rocket getting Bucky's arm, that was funny.

The rest was junk. It was indicative of the current batch of Disney/Marvel output. Unoriginal and uninspired, mostly lazy, every character has become a parody of themselves with their most idiotic traits exaggerated for laughs to the point the characters don't have an identity anymore. They're all just one trick ponies known for one outrageous, and always moronic, personality trait and literally nothing else. It was like watching the SNL skit from hell. A really bad 45 minute long SNL skit that wouldn't end and where every single joke was played out until it was beaten to death. By the time it was over it was like relief from CIA torture at Gitmo.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-28-2022 at 09:45 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2022, 11:29 AM   #4745
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I also was pretty meh on the Christmas Special. I laughed out loud once. I’m pretty sure it was at the gift of Bucky’s arm, but can’t remember exactly, so that says a lot. Kevin Bacon seemed to be having fun so that’s alright.

And the SNL Christmas song was a nice addition. Otherwise big miss for me.
Old 11-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #4746
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I thought it was heinously bad. Like they tried to go for Star Wars holiday special so bad it's good but it was just bad. An unwatchable 45 minutes of pure uninspired garbage.

Except the call back to IW and Rocket getting Bucky's arm, that was funny.

The rest was junk. It was indicative of the current batch of Disney/Marvel output. Unoriginal and uninspired, mostly lazy, every character has become a parody of themselves with their most idiotic traits exaggerated for laughs to the point the characters don't have an identity anymore. They're all just one trick ponies known for one outrageous, and always moronic, personality trait and literally nothing else. It was like watching the SNL skit from hell. A really bad 45 minute long SNL skit that wouldn't end and where every single joke was played out until it was beaten to death. By the time it was over it was like relief from CIA torture at Gitmo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Yeah I also was pretty meh on the Christmas Special. I laughed out loud once. I’m pretty sure it was at the gift of Bucky’s arm, but can’t remember exactly, so that says a lot. Kevin Bacon seemed to be having fun so that’s alright.

And the SNL Christmas song was a nice addition. Otherwise big miss for me.
Alright...so now we know where Scrooge lives.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #4747
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the special didn't really do much for me, but it was $0 marginal cost, only an hour of my time, and I laughed a couple of times, not all that different than 90% of regular TV programing.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:39 PM   #4748
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
the special didn't really do much for me, but it was $0 marginal cost, only an hour of my time, and I laughed a couple of times, not all that different than 90% of regular TV programing.
Yeah, at least it wasn't a 6-part weekly release.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:55 AM   #4749
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought the special was exactly what I was expecting, some laughs, some traditional Christmas stuff and some feel good moments.

Well worth the 40 minute watch.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:07 PM   #4750
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1599074847682088960
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:59 PM   #4751
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Just started watching Pantheon, an animated sci-fi series about uploading a human mind into a computer. So far it's pretty good, really liking the buildup.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:05 PM   #4752
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Just started watching Pantheon, an animated sci-fi series about uploading a human mind into a computer. So far it's pretty good, really liking the buildup.
I started it a while back and was wondering how an animated series with a voice cast like that flew under the radar.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 08:00 PM   #4753
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally saw Wakanda Forever. By far the best Marvel offering in this phase in my opinion. Great villain, interesting back story, difficult dilemma for protagonist and what feels like real-world stakes (vs multiversal etc.. things that seems far from human issues). This (like the first) deals with issues of grief, history and sovereignty. I like the way the MCU ties itself to real history. Namor was cool, always been fascinated by indigenous Central America, cool to have it represented this way as an update on “Atlantis”.

As good as if not better than the first IMO. 8/10
Old 12-06-2022, 11:39 PM   #4754
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Finished season 1 of Pantheon. Outstanding. First show I've watched in a while that really felt sci-fi at it's heart.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #4755
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Finished season 1 of Pantheon. Outstanding. First show I've watched in a while that really felt sci-fi at it's heart.
I'm still chugging through. Its a great show, but as you said, its really sci-fi...no sugar-coating. Its pretty heavy.

Old 12-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #4756
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I thought it was heinously bad. Like they tried to go for Star Wars holiday special so bad it's good but it was just bad.
Just wonder when the last time you watched the Star Wars Holiday Special was because.....
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:55 PM   #4757
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Just wonder when the last time you watched the Star Wars Holiday Special was because.....
Not too long ago actually. Star Wars holiday special practically invented the it’s so bad it’s good.

In other news:

Quote:
Patty Jenkins‘ ‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:56 PM   #4758
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1600645738039545861

The article also states that in addition to moving on from Wonder Woman, WB wants to have Jason Mamoa stop playing Aquaman and play Lobo instead......they do know that Wonder Woman and Aquaman made a combined $1.8 billion at the box office right

Life would be so much easier if I preferred Marvel to DC
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #4759
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1600645738039545861

The article also states that in addition to moving on from Wonder Woman, WB wants to have Jason Mamoa stop playing Aquaman and play Lobo instead......they do know that Wonder Woman and Aquaman made a combined $1.8 billion at the box office right

Life would be so much easier if I preferred Marvel to DC
I dont know what to tell you.

WW84 and Aquaman were....unadulterated trash. Complete garbage.

However....they made money! Lots of it.

So for a studio that is very clearly prioritizing money...why would you kill them?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:52 PM   #4760
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

WW84 was terrible after the first one was pretty good.

Aquaman was trash and the only reason it made money is because people so inclined got to watch Jason Momoa shirtless on the big screen for 2 hours.

Would be a weird move but I think WB is right is their assessment that Momoa was what made that movie a financial success and not the aquaman character himself.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote