Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #101
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

our Kenmore Elite "dual fuel" (gas top w/ electric plate warmer, and electric convection oven, and an actual warming drawer that we never use for that purpose) that I bought refurbished at the old Sears Outlet store is still going strong'ish almost 15 years later. Only a few issues:
1. Glass top... don't drop anything or it chips; don't stand on it to reach something above.

2. oven spaceis quite small due to excess insulation. am assuming they've corrected this. makes it hard to coordinate big cooking experiences over holidays or parties

3. cool-down fan after using oven seems to take *forever* to cool down oven sufficiently before auto turnoff. Maybe I should pull the oven out and see if it's bunged up with ~15years of dirt and dust elephants.

I would definitely want another natural gas stovetop in the future. Just awesome to cook on, but it helps also to have decent cookware.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 02:15 PM   #102
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
That could be possible. I think we have just been buying pans from Costco, and they don’t survive high temp cooking very long. I have one pot and a small pan with heavy bases that are okay.

I have also been reading not to rinse pans out while they are still hot from use. That’s probably my fault, I like to clean up as soon as I am finished cooking.

We have a few cast iron, but we don’t use them that often as they too shallow for Chinese cooking.
A big mistake many make is not spending sufficient money on good cook ware and bake ware.

Also, as far as I am concerned, don't buy a set of cook ware. Buy individual pieces that you actually need and will use.

And going with my first sentence, buy your cook ware at stores that cater to commercial restaurants. I normally buy mine at Crown Food Equipment, just east of Chinook and north up 4 St before Blackfoot Trail.

I really like Browne-Halco. Their cookware has encapsulated bottoms and I think you would have to be pretty brutal while cooking to warp the bottom of any of that cook ware.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2020, 12:42 PM   #103
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
If you have a wife, get a gas range. If you're going to have to clean it, consider an induction range.
We're making the switch to induction. The comment above is one of the reasons....my wife wasn't impressed, thanks a lot! The other kicker was KitchenAid throwing in a complete set of induction-friendly cookware.

Now I need to disconnect and cap the existing gas feed. Is that a job I should do myself or do I need a gas-fitter?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote