Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Recommend an ADT Alarm Installer?

Looking to move from our current Counterforce system to ADT's Pulse system... Who should I call in Calgary?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I don't know if he still works there but csnarpy was the go to ADT guy here.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Oohhh perfect timing. If he is still here id like to chat as well about a security system.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #4
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't stress strongly enough that you're better off just putting a bullet in your brain rather than use ADT for anything.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FYI I believe ADT is now owned by Telus

https://www.adt.ca/

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I can't stress strongly enough that you're better off just putting a bullet in your brain rather than use ADT for anything.
Any suggestions on a better company?

Don't need Uber fancy or anything just a decent home security system.

Last edited by Deviaant; 12-17-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Any suggestions on a better company?

Don't need Uber fancy or anything just a decent home security system.
I've used Liberty at home for the last few years. They're more expensive than most of the other companies, but I've had no problems at all with their system or equipment and all the people I've dealt with have been great as well.

I unfortunately still use ADT for my business, even though they've been nothing but a nightmare. The only reason I haven't replaced them is that putting in a new system is very disruptive to business if we stay open while it happens, and closing for a day to do the install isn't in any way appealing. So I stick it out. When they call me at 3AM with another false alarm because of their faulty equipment though, it certainly makes me rethink things.

I will say that the majority of the installers/technicians I've dealt with from ADT have been excellent. It's every other aspect of the company that I think is horrible.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I've used Liberty at home for the last few years. They're more expensive than most of the other companies, but I've had no problems at all with their system or equipment and all the people I've dealt with have been great as well.

I unfortunately still use ADT for my business, even though they've been nothing but a nightmare. The only reason I haven't replaced them is that putting in a new system is very disruptive to business if we stay open while it happens, and closing for a day to do the install isn't in any way appealing. So I stick it out. When they call me at 3AM with another false alarm because of their faulty equipment though, it certainly makes me rethink things.

I will say that the majority of the installers/technicians I've dealt with from ADT have been excellent. It's every other aspect of the company that I think is horrible.
Awesome thanks for the heads up. I will check out Liberty.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:37 PM   #9
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last time I went through this exercise, a self monitored system was the way to go. Anything change in the market that would move the dial?

Seems like if anything, the self monitored space has gotten stronger (Ring, Wyze, Smartthings) on top of the usual security system providers (DSC, etc) which offer more self-monitoring options.

On the monitored side, more entrants (Rogers, Telus, Vivent, etc) with more tech enabled options, but given they still just offer the same old 1992 response approach/times, self monitoring the way to go, no?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #10
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, self monitored and self installed all the way. Here's a post of mine from a few months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So I had new doors and windows installed at my house over the weekend. This meant my old alarm needed a bunch of re-wiring work and since we added four opening windows that previously didn't open, I was going to need a bunch more sensors.

Had a quote from an alarm company for $50/month on a three-year term to redo the system, so $1800.

Another quote for $1200 for the hardware and installation, but unmonitored.

I decided to give a Ring Alarm Security System a try instead since I already have two of the doorbells and they are awesome.

I bought the 14-piece kit, which has two motion detectors, two control panels, range extender and covers eight windows/doors. Also bought eight more windows/door sensors, as well as the flood/freeze sensor. Total price for everything was $580, plus GST, so about half the price I was quoted to have the pros do it, and their quote didn't include covering my detached garage or a flood/freeze sensor, both of which I have with Ring.

Installation was easy. Took two hours. The app is super customizable and lets you change things instantly (as you'd expect).

I was already paying $6/month for my doorbells to have the cloud storage capabilities. With the alarm system, you pay $10/month to have it monitored, and it includes all the cameras, too, so it was kind of a no-brainer to just go to $10/month. There is also no contract. You don't need to have it monitored if you don't want.

With monitoring, you also get 3G back-up on the system and there is battery back-up as well. You can arm/disarm from your phone, which is handy if you have somebody going to your place you need to let in.

Overall, pretty neat. Only one day in so I can't comment much beyond that, but installation was easy, the interface is fantastic, the price is great, and everything seems of good quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Going to this monitored system is going to save me $273/year on home insurance.

Also, I said monitoring was $10/month - that's USD, FYI.

I've also added a fire and CO detector for $49. I've put flood/freeze sensors in every bathroom, under the fridge (we have water to the fridge), under the kitchen sink/dishwasher, and in the utility room. Pretty stoked on how safe everything is feeling.

A couple of weeks in with this system and we're loving it. It is such an insane upgrade from a traditional alarm. Honestly, the fire and flood monitoring are probably more important than burglar alarm, and I didn't have either one of those before. I know three people that have had floods in the last year alone - one was the fridge and the other two were bathrooms. A flood is so upsetting and stressful. This could save my bacon.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2019, 07:10 PM   #11
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus has really good new self-monitor plans and great equipment.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #12
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

The downside with self-monitored is that you don't get the home insurance discount (at least not with providers I've talked to). But since the monitoring companies don't provide much that you can't do yourself, unless they give you a good deal you probably save money in the long run going self-monitored.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:35 PM   #13
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I looked at ring, as I have 4 exterior ring cams. Issue is, the contact sensors are too large and ugly for my wife’s taste... Sliver, got any picks of the sensors installed?
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
I looked at ring, as I have 4 exterior ring cams. Issue is, the contact sensors are too large and ugly for my wife’s taste... Sliver, got any picks of the sensors installed?
They are a little big, so she's not crazy. Plus side is it's all wireless so the installation is very clean. If you're already pre-wired, going wireless is less of a benefit. I will say after they're installed you don't think much of it. I'll take some pics before I go to work and post them for you this morning.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: