Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2022, 01:46 PM   #21
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There’s just something about a professional athlete not betting on themself that rubs me the wrong way. It’s like he doesn’t have faith in his abilities to rip off a good season. A guy like him that’s not fleet of foot needs to hammer out a career contract before he loses a step.
He'll have over $40M in career earnings at the end of this contract. He also has yet to play a full NHL season due to how often he's injured.

I can see the logic behind him taking the guaranteed money now to set himself up for life instead betting on himself with a one year qualifying offer.

Last edited by boogerz; 07-02-2022 at 07:01 PM.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 02:03 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s quite possible that he didn’t think he’d get qualified at that price, then go to UFA only to find that because of his mediocre season he was not going to get what he has now agreed to. Was anyone paying 7 to him? And 3 years isn’t much of a sacrifice.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:45 PM   #23
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is he has had way too much on his plate with his fathers illness and passing and needed some stability in his life, judging him by the last couple of years may prove to be a mistake
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:35 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
My guess is he has had way too much on his plate with his fathers illness and passing and needed some stability in his life, judging him by the last couple of years may prove to be a mistake
which is why you take the one year deal if you are him
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #25
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, not sure why he took the 3 year deal. Would have made sense to either get the QO and bounce or a 7 year deal for stability. This bridge deal doesn’t make sense whatsoever.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 04:46 PM   #26
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Yeah, not sure why he took the 3 year deal. Would have made sense to either get the QO and bounce or a 7 year deal for stability. This bridge deal doesn’t make sense whatsoever.
Minnesota kid who will be a UFA at 28 when this contract is over and the Wild cap issues will be done when he is UFA. Maybe a little sanity in his thinking.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 05:00 PM   #27
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While I would agree financially from an emotional point of view my guess is he just wants to settle somewhere, not have to worry about anything but looking after his mum, read that family history, kids had a shed load on his shoulders for years
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #28
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A guaranteed $20M for a player who broke his back in his rookie year isn't anything to sneeze at. If he does well enough that he's significantly underpaid in years 2 and 3, then he'll probably have a big enough contract after that that it'll barely matter.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:06 AM   #29
Eubee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dude is soft as butter that was put in the microwave for 10 seconds and then left on the counter. Kevin Fiala had played more games over the last 5 yrs. Terrible player and terrible team.

Last edited by Eubee; 07-03-2022 at 10:12 AM.
Eubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:53 AM   #30
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Never really sure what to think about Boeser. Can be a good player when he wants to, and when things are going well. Can be completely invisible, and easy to play against, much of the time.

Kind of like the Canucks in general.
He's kind of a winger version of Sean Monahan, though he does shoot right which is added-value

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:12 PM   #31
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
He's kind of a winger version of Sean Monahan, though he does shoot right which is added-value
Not arguing with you but a quick look at the top scorers in the league, which to me are quite valuable, 8/10 shoot left. Weird how we all take that shoot's right as gospel about how important they are.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:25 PM   #32
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
Not arguing with you but a quick look at the top scorers in the league, which to me are quite valuable, 8/10 shoot left. Weird how we all take that shoot's right as gospel about how important they are.
That stat is evidence about how rare a good RHS is. I suspect the league is 3/4 LHS.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #33
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Injury history, poor season, family tragedy, this deal seems like a better option than going to arbitration and taking his paycut, and very likely becoming a rental player and then UFA. That doesn't provide him with stability that he might be looking for right now.

The cap is also artificially low right now until they pay off the escrow due to COVID. With a better than expected revenue last season, the escrow balance may be paid off sooner than anticipated when the MOU was drafted, especially as new revenue sources like the ads on jerseys will be happening.

Fehr thinks that the escrow balance could be paid off by the end of the 2024/2025 season which is probably not so coincidentally when this contract ends.

So now you have the potential of a big cap jump with teams having a lot of extra cap space as a result, a 28 year old UFA ripe for the massive 7/8 year contract and as noted earlier the same year that Suter and Parise come off the books. It's also before the CBA expires.

I like this contract from Boesser's point of view. Sort of gives him everything. Increased stability for the next couple years, guaranteed income for an injury-prone player to set his family up for his great grand kids lives but the potential to cash in huge while it looks like the stars might be aligning for that UFA class (also Draisaitl, Marner and Rantanen in it).
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #34
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps he is betting that the cap skyrockets in 3 years and he can get a 7x$8 deal to finish out his career
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:36 PM   #35
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it odd that the kid is getting crapped on for seeming to like his city/team and wanting to stay there, isn't that a good thing, an admirable trait?
Old 07-04-2022, 05:38 AM   #36
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
You're kind of missing the forest for the trees. Other than the Oilers, pretty much every potent powerplay unit in the NHL has a right-shot forward or two complementing the "top scorer".

If you look at Tampa's deadly PP, yes Kucherov shoots left. But the primary passing options he has are Point (right) and Stamkos (right). That split-second between passing across their bodies and feeding their wheelhouse can be the difference between a much-needed PP goal and no goal.

MacKinnon and Rantanen play a similar role on Colorado's PP. They also have Makar (RHS) on the point.

Washington, Toronto, Boston, etc all follow a similar PP setup. Even Calgary tried to have that, but Toffoli didn't work out in that "Stamkos" role.

A few years ago, when Vancouver had a killer PP, Boeser was a huge part of that iirc.

Being rhs doesn't make you better. But it adds values to your presence on the ice.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:36 AM   #37
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Canucks also have Garland shooting right handed, who for whatever reason they can't seem to find a place for on their top power play despite him scoring 49 even strength points last year. That was 2nd on their team behind Miller and 51st league-wide among forwards, ahead of guys like Zibanejad, Svechnikov, Reinhart, Hertl, Kuznetsov, Kreider and Hintz... and it'd be pretty weird if you didn't find some top PP time for those guys.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 12:51 PM   #38
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The Canucks also have Garland shooting right handed, who for whatever reason they can't seem to find a place for on their top power play despite him scoring 49 even strength points last year. That was 2nd on their team behind Miller and 51st league-wide among forwards, ahead of guys like Zibanejad, Svechnikov, Reinhart, Hertl, Kuznetsov, Kreider and Hintz... and it'd be pretty weird if you didn't find some top PP time for those guys.
I hated the Canucks getting Garland. I have no clue why they didn't use him on the top PP. They were using Chiasson. I get that Garland isn't big, and they wanted net front. But he's feisty and can move in and out.
Old 07-04-2022, 03:26 PM   #39
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I hated the Canucks getting Garland. I have no clue why they didn't use him on the top PP. They were using Chiasson. I get that Garland isn't big, and they wanted net front. But he's feisty and can move in and out.

The long short of it, is after Green left Garland looked like ####.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #40
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
The long short of it, is after Green left Garland looked like ####.
Maybe. IMO he's a RHS Mangiapane and man would he look good as a Flame. At less than $5M for 4 more years especially.