Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 02:13 PM   #1901
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

How did he hide his beard so well when he dressed as a girl?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #1902
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Crazy to think that the shooter in Highland Park was arrested after a short pursuit but without incident while a another guy who was running from a traffic stop got 60 bullets put in him. The US is an upside-down and insane place.
Yeah it does seem and is excessive but as another poster mentioned, the police down there must be under a lot of stress on a daily basis knowing so many people are armed. There’s also a lot of cops getting shot and killed almost daily.

Then there was the recent gun control bill, the biggest in 30 years by the sounds of it and still very minor, more background checks for younger people and mental health but still very insignificant in regards to overall reduction of guns. They’re going to have to somehow amend the second amendment if they want to actually want things to improve. The NRA was even against this latest bill so gives an idea of how difficult it is to actually get real changes and progress on gun violence and mass shootings.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:41 PM   #1903
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
How did he hide his beard so well when he dressed as a girl?
In that photo of him in the dress, you can see he is wearing some kind of American flag handkerchief around his neck.

He probably used that to cover his whole face. We're still at the point post-covid where someone can cover their face in a crowd, without other people thinking twice.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:57 PM   #1904
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do enjoy the police saying he planned it for 2 weeks and then also saying it was completely random.

I will assume the quotes are leaving out some context.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #1905
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
I do enjoy the police saying he planned it for 2 weeks and then also saying it was completely random.

I will assume the quotes are leaving out some context.
I imagine they mean the targets were random people he didn’t know.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 02:59 PM   #1906
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also these two updates from the NY Times back to back should make people think that perhaps there is an issue with who can buy guns in the US:

Quote:
In September 2019, a member of Crimo's family reported that Crimo was going to “kill everyone,” and that he had a knife collection, Chief Covelli said. Police removed 16 knives, a dagger and a sword from the home, but there was no probable cause to arrest Crimo at that time, Covelli said.
Quote:
Chief Covelli said he believed that the suspect had bought the firearms in his possession on Monday in 2020 and 2021, although he didn't have the exact dates.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 08:13 AM   #1907
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just found out this morning that a colleague of my wife, a woman and her husband, were two of the victims in the Highland Park shooting, leaving behind a 2 year old boy. Saw the story about the child yesterday. Didn't know the personal connection.
It shouldn't really matter whether you know anyone affected, but it does.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 08:21 AM   #1908
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gawd, the story about the 2 year old boy randomly wandering around crying because his parents were both dead? That's horrible.

I don't know why the gun control issue in the US annoys the hell out of me so much but it does. I mean for christs sakes, MTG came out blaming anti-depressants and violent video games... we're back on that cycle again?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 09:28 AM   #1909
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
violent video games... we're back on that cycle again?
If only Dee Snider was still releasing music.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #1910
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying he's glad his stepson died from an OD because he would have been a mass shooter otherwise is.....something.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 07-06-2022 at 06:20 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 06:35 PM   #1911
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Just found out this morning that a colleague of my wife, a woman and her husband, were two of the victims in the Highland Park shooting, leaving behind a 2 year old boy. Saw the story about the child yesterday. Didn't know the personal connection.
It shouldn't really matter whether you know anyone affected, but it does.
I am sorry to hear that...

It's a terrible tragedy...It does matter if there's a personal connection because it shows just how many ripple effects these events have beyond the victims and their families.

It hits harder because it isn't just a face and a name...when the physical space between people and the event suddenly flatten, its hard not to be affected I would think...

Condolences to your wife on the loss of her colleague
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:48 PM   #1912
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Gawd, the story about the 2 year old boy randomly wandering around crying because his parents were both dead? That's horrible.

I don't know why the gun control issue in the US annoys the hell out of me so much but it does. I mean for christs sakes, MTG came out blaming anti-depressants and violent video games... we're back on that cycle again?
Probably because it is so senseless and idiotic? Americans look like 100% numbskull drooling morons on this “issue”. It’s hard to imagine how it is even an “issue”.

Maybe if your society is the only place on earth for something horrific, you should change that thing? So dumb.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:51 PM   #1913
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Saying he's glad his stepson died from an OD because he would have been a mass shooter otherwise is.....something.

I loved "The Dilbert Future" one of my all time favourite books. It was so stupid, yet one of those 'you have to be really clever to come up with something that stupid'.

Then he went off the rails, retroactively making the book worse, destroyed Dilbert for me.

I don't know what happened to Scott Adams, but man he's in need of some serious help.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:53 PM   #1914
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Nm
Old 07-06-2022, 08:25 PM   #1915
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Probably because it is so senseless and idiotic? Americans look like 100% numbskull drooling morons on this “issue”. It’s hard to imagine how it is even an “issue”.

Maybe if your society is the only place on earth for something horrific, you should change that thing? So dumb.
Rep front runner (Trump endorsed) gubernatorial candidate for Nov elections Darren Bailey, when speaking on the 4th at cancelled parade in Skokie (just minutes from Highland Park) a couple hours after the shootings said something like 'we need to pray for them and then let's move on', also basically suggesting he was disappointed in their decision to cancel the parade.

There is no hope that anything will change. For the better anyway
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2022, 08:28 PM   #1916
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I loved "The Dilbert Future" one of my all time favourite books. It was so stupid, yet one of those 'you have to be really clever to come up with something that stupid'.

Then he went off the rails, retroactively making the book worse, destroyed Dilbert for me.

I don't know what happened to Scott Adams, but man he's in need of some serious help.
Not to trying to justify anything but didn't his son die overdosing on drugs? I assume it was a drawn out process - perhaps shaping his view in those series of tweets?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1917
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Rep front runner (Trump endorsed) gubernatorial candidate for Nov elections Darren Bailey, when speaking on the 4th at cancelled parade in Skokie (just minutes from Highland Park) a couple hours after the shootings said something like 'we need to pray for them and then let's move on', also basically suggesting he was disappointed in their decision to cancel the parade.

There is no hope that anything will change. For the better anyway
Which is a reflection of the depravity of American society to be so callous and full of disregard for fellow citizens. Like everything they have done they have taken individualism to an extreme extent and cannot carry themselves with even the slightest humility to accept that their society is wrong on this issue and urgently requires recalibrating to become more of a group and collective society again.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:32 PM   #1918
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

That seems like a guy dealing with some trauma and trying to make sense out of something senseless via absolutes. I feel sorry for the guy. Must be horrific to lose a child to an OD.

If not, there must be something else wrong with him.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #1919
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
He looks better as a girl

You have low standards!
chubeyr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:26 AM   #1920
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

His stepson was an addict which likely destroyed his life and happiness for many years until he ultimately died and he’s essentially relieved (which probably leads to guilt), and yes he is.