Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #10081
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Come on, man. 8th overall pick puts up 20 goals and 60 points at 21, and the Leafs trade him for Brodie?

No. That’s ####ing silly
Yeah, I think they might do that. Hall was traded at 23. Human psychology comes into play and GMs make stupid decisions all the time (not just the Oilers).

Unless you have confirmation that you can PM me or an official press release, your guess is as good as mine on this.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 AM   #10082
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Hamilton + Bennett for Ekman-Larsson + Domi

Hamilton is younger and signed with more term so the Flames get to upgrade from Bennett to Domi.

Then the Flames can look to shop Brodie for a top 6 forward and not decimate their top 4 in one off season, and make room on the right side for Andersson.

Hamilton gets to go to a market with less media and fan attention, just my opinion but I think he'd prefer that to be honest.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Top six FWD (Brodie trade or UFA)
Tkachuk - Jankowski - Domi
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

Build 4th line from Mangiapane, Dube, Lazar, Shore, Hathaway, Brouwer or UFA signing.

Giordano - Hamonic
E-Larsson - Stone
Kulak - Andersson

Smith
Rittich / Gillies
I would do it if there was a sign and trade for OEL. The fact he only has one year remaining would be of concern.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #10083
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
You don't think Karlsson and Burns don't/didn't make those mistakes? They both make stupid plays all the time but doesn't mean they are bad players.

As for Brodie, I don't think teams will be bidding low on him. I think there will still be GMs who think he can be a Top 2 guy on their team. Factor in the friendly contract and he makes a great option for many teams.

You mean Karlsson and Burns who both have averaged over 70 points the last 3 years? These are elite offensive players.

You may have a touch of homerism here.

Dougie is not Karlsson or Burns
Brodie is not returning Nylander
Old 04-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #10084
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I think they might do that. Hall was traded at 23. Human psychology comes into play and GMs make stupid decisions all the time (not just the Oilers).

Unless you have confirmation that you can PM me or an official press release, your guess is as good as mine on this.
A press release of what, exactly?

I think one of our guesses is better than the other, my friend. Time will tell
Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #10085
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean Karlsson and Burns who both have averaged over 70 points the last 3 years? These are elite offensive players.

You may have a touch of homerism here.

Dougie is not Karlsson or Burns
Brodie is not returning Nylander
Thr same Brent Burns who was averaging only 40-50 points all the way up to age 28 right?

Karlsson is elite but that doesnt mean Hamilton can't get there.

As for Brodie, I said GMs can be desperate at times and gave you the most relevant example from a few years ago. Unless you are an employee of the Oilers, you can't just dismiss that trade as an Oilers blunder. You are not a NHL GM so don't try to pretend you are. You don't know the current value of a dman and forward in the NHL right now.

Last edited by keenan87; 04-15-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #10086
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He makes a valid point. They are both older than Hamilton. His growing point totals combined with his age, size and skating are a very unique package.

A few posts back ago you took a single play and tried to slight him. That's asinine. You can do that for any defender who plays the minutes he does and you could pick instances like that from any elite defender as a result. It's a terrible way to build an argument.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #10087
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A press release of what, exactly?

I think one of our guesses is better than the other, my friend. Time will tell
You seem to have a lot of fluffy comments about stuff. Not really backed up. Edmonton Screwed Up...., Hamilton wont learn to be a complete player....., Brodie won't be it for Nylander...

I was just wondering if you had evidence of this or is this all jist your opinion? Cause if it is opinion, then that doesn't mean ####. Similar to some of my opinions... so like I said, your guess is as good as mine.

Last edited by keenan87; 04-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #10088
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I remember the Flames having one of the best defensive pairings in the league. They still have the two players that made up that pairing. They do not have one of the top pairings in the league now. This makes no sense.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #10089
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
You seem to have a lot of fluffy comments about stuff. Not really backed up. "Edmonton Screwed Up", "Hamilton wont learn to be a complete player" "Nylander won't be it for Brodie"

I was just wondering if you had evidence of this or is this all jist your opinion? Cause if it is opinion, then that doesn't mean ####.

Wow.

Firstly, you are using the Hall trade as an example where somebody screwed up the valuation, then having a tantrum because I suggested Edmonton screwed up the valuation. Relax, man.

If you really, seriously think that Toronto would trade Nylander straight up for Brodie, then we can accept that our skies are different colours. And mine is blue.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #10090
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
If you really, seriously think that Toronto would trade Nylander straight up for Brodie, then we can accept that our skies are different colours. And mine is blue.
I doubt anyone really seriously thought Edmonton would have traded Hall for Larsson. That’s the point here, you (or any of us) have no idea. Teams make surprising moves from positions of strength to shore up a positional weakness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #10091
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow.

Firstly, you are using the Hall trade as an example where somebody screwed up the valuation, then having a tantrum because I suggested Edmonton screwed up the valuation. Relax, man.

For someone asking me to relax, you are one arrogant poster.

There are two posts now where I have said our opinions don't matter (both of ours) and we will see what happens. But you keep trying to end the conversation by stating your opinion is more accurate. Then you ask me to relax?

Okay, you are a very smart man and your opinion is better! Awesome work! Does this make your Sunday morning? I hope it does. Afterall, you won an Internet message board battle!
Old 04-15-2018, 11:00 AM   #10092
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I doubt anyone really seriously thought Edmonton would have traded Hall for Larsson. That’s the point here, you (or any of us) have no idea. Teams make surprising moves from positions of strength to shore up a positional weakness.

Is that the point? The idea is to hope to be on the right side of a lopsided trade? Good luck with that.

Nylander for Brodie will not happen. I am as confident in this as I am that the Leafs will not issue a press release confirming that they aren’t making that trade.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 04-15-2018 at 11:02 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #10093
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nylander for brodie is insane

You cant point to oilers deals because its clear those were crazy at the time, and toronto seems to have a very strong management group

If the leafs make it known they ade looking for a d man, and/or are willimg to move nylander, they get 29 better offers than brodie

Thats not a position of weakness, this wouldnt be a deadline deal or dealing a ufa
Old 04-15-2018, 12:31 PM   #10094
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kapanen + for Brodie feels more realistic.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #10095
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
What do you think you are getting for a #4 defensive dman with inconsistent and unreliable gap control?

Kapanen would very much be a break even and could seriously help our top nine forward group. He's been underused on a very good Leafs forward core but has legitimate skill, speed and upside.
You just described Brodie, not Hamonic.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:41 PM   #10096
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kadri for Brodie could be interesting. The Leafs could be getting tired of his antics and they could consider shifting Nylander to centre.

Flames add depth at centre that allows Backlund to slide down to the third line. Doesn’t solve the top line RW issue but greatly helps with depth.

I doubt the Leafs do thst deal but Kadri would be a solid addition to the Flames
Old 04-15-2018, 12:44 PM   #10097
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Nylander for brodie is insane

You cant point to oilers deals because its clear those were crazy at the time, and toronto seems to have a very strong management group

If the leafs make it known they ade looking for a d man, and/or are willimg to move nylander, they get 29 better offers than brodie

Thats not a position of weakness, this wouldnt be a deadline deal or dealing a ufa
What defenseman on the Nucks would you trade for Nylander?

You and DeluxeMustache are over-rating the value of Nylander. He is a small, one-dimensional scoring winger. He is similar to Eberle, prior to the Oilers completely ruining Eberle.

Defensemen are more in demand than wingers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #10098
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Brodie for Nylander, guys? Let's try to at least pretend to be objective in this.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #10099
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way you give up Brodie or Hamonic, on their contracts, for Kapanen.

If the Leafs want to immeditely upgrade their D, they are going to have to give up a good player.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #10100
Franchise Player

Exp:

Funny how making or not making the playoffs changes everything.

Before the season started, no one here would accept Kapanen + for Brodie, now all the Flames players suck and all the leafs players are gold, even though the Leafs are being slapped around silly by the Bruins.

Change the coach first before you make any major personnel changes. God, it's like GG devalued every flames by 50%. Thanks Glen.
Closed Thread