Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2020, 04:32 PM   #21
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Antivirals in a few months but vaccine +12 months is what I've heard. Unless you want to run the risk of having unknown and potentially disastreous side-effects you need to do trials with tens or even a hundred thousand people and that takes time.

But there is no way the economy is shut down for a year, even three months would be pushing it. Not to mention 90% of people who will only have mild symptoms, they aren't going to sit home for months. The other 10% will have to though and avoid contact for long time.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:50 PM   #22
puckbrain
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Level View Post
If the pandemic goes on for that long, the economic catastrophe that will go with it will make attending pro sports events a distant dream for most people.

Also, don't be surprised if the Panthers, Jets, Flames, Coyotes and Hurricanes are no longer in the league when it resumes play, under that scenario.
fixed.....
puckbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:05 PM   #23
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have been three (?) possible vaccines in the early stages of development, and the American one has already started human trials.

I would think that there is going to be a television only play for all of the major sports by the end of May. And that is only if the Japanese drug treatment (or some other) is available for the players.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #24
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Antivirals in a few months but vaccine +12 months is what I've heard. Unless you want to run the risk of having unknown and potentially disastreous side-effects you need to do trials with tens or even a hundred thousand people and that takes time.

But there is no way the economy is shut down for a year, even three months would be pushing it. Not to mention 90% of people who will only have mild symptoms, they aren't going to sit home for months. The other 10% will have to though and avoid contact for long time.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #25
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
There have been three (?) possible vaccines in the early stages of development, and the American one has already started human trials.

Yes I heard that too. Still, probably tens of thousands of patients that have to be monitored for side-effects who knows how long. The most optimistic estimate is 12 months at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I would think that there is going to be a television only play for all of the major sports by the end of May. And that is only if the Japanese drug treatment (or some other) is available for the players.

I don't see it happening. Besides antivirals just treat the symptoms. What happens if one player gets sick, infects his team and that team has to drop out of the playoffs? Shutdown mode again?
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #26
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be fun if the nhl returned just for the playoffs, even if it was shorter with some unique format. If my math is correct the Flames would squeak in as the second wild card on a p/gm basis. It could be interesting.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:36 PM   #27
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
40% that we have a training camp then playoffs without fans. I think the 24 team idea would be good.

80% on hockey in October
I think 8 teams would make a lot more sense logistically. Operationalizing 24 teams (and all of the associated support staff) for what will be a very brief, meaningless run for most of them. This assumes a world that is still in major disorder, but not total chaos.

The top 7 teams in the league are pretty clear (top two in each division, except PAC). PIT (and to some extent DAL and CAR) would have a legitimate claim ahead of EDM for the last spot, but I don't think that would be as difficult to navigate as figuring out a 24 or 31 team solution. I'd be satisfied with a simple coin flip to decide PIT or EDM.

I think more likely than any of that is a 12 team NBA scenario. There are 13 teams >.500, 6 East, 7 West. The Mavs would be unlucky, but their 40-27 is certainly worse than the 40-24 for both teams in #5 and #6 in the west. Lakers, Clippers, Bucks, and Raptors get first round byes.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #28
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really can’t see a season resuming at this point and I feel the tongue wagging is just to create story lines. If the NHL resumes this summer and there are no butts in the seats I can’t see them making any money, probably losing some tbh, when you factor in Arena operations and overhead. TV viewership would be minimal when competing against Summer weather and presumably all other sports resuming too.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #29
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about a final 4. You bring all the players staff and families into the closed Vegas hotels and wait 3 weeks isolating every family from eachother. When no one has symptoms you have a memorial cup tournament of the 4 division leaders.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:59 PM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The USA is ####ED....There is no way this season will be finished. I agree that next season is also in question
Old 03-19-2020, 09:27 PM   #31
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Herd immunity will help, for awhile, but a vaccine will be the biggest challenge.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #32
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Herd immunity will help, for awhile, but a vaccine will be the biggest challenge.
It will probably take just as long to develop herd immunity, if flattening the curve is the goal. Immunity to COVID is unknown at this point, could be permanent, could only be partial, could only last a year, etc. A vaccine is a huge challenge, and a year is the absolute best case scenario... it could potentially take years to develop (based on what I've heard, this virus is easier to develop a vaccine for than say HIV, but who knows for certain). If a vaccine is not available in the near term, I'm not really sure what the answer is then... let it run its course, I guess?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #33
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah I retract my earlier statement.

This is going to get dragged out in the US for quite some time (maybe until vaccines) and I'm afraid they will see their health care facilities overrun pretty badly. Cities will need to enforce lockdown to even begin to ensure this gets under control.

I hope for the best for them but the way it's going there no chance at a conclusion to this season at least.

Maybe that's for the best, as it seems like it was more or less a nightmare for our local heroes. And it was too good to be believed for the scrubs up north. Here's to a better next season, whenever that may be.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The government order in council that closes the borders has an expiry date of June 30. While the government could always revoke the order earlier, closed borders for three months completely eliminates any hope of resuming the season.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:52 AM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no issue if all major sports become made for TV events for the next year once things begin to stabilize. Mini tournaments, condensed playoffs whatever. Let's see some innovation. Why empty arenas? Why not rinks, gym's, fields etc.

The traditionalists that cry about it can suck an egg IMO. We are in a time of adaptability and change.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #36
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I love how you preemptively trash anyone who might dare disagree with what you want.

And no, a bunch of generally stupid ideas on "mini tournaments" and the like is not innovative.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #37
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
But we'll have to deal with Oilers fans thinking they're the 1994 Expos.
But if they are the '94 Expos, they will also move in a few years, so there is some upside to that.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I hope the Oilers never move, the Flames wouldn't be the same without their biggest rival
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2020, 10:44 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
But we'll have to deal with Oilers fans thinking they're the 1994 Expos.
Let them. Remind them that The Expos moved to the US.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:45 AM   #40
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I hope the Oilers never move, the Flames wouldn't be the same without their biggest rival
I would not miss them.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post: