Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2020, 02:50 AM   #1
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 We need a miracle or there's no hockey till 2021-22 at least

Let's face it, there's little chance the NHL or pro sports in general will play in empty stadiums and there's literally no chance of fan filled stadiums until there's a vaccine.

Since I'm not much a believer in "miracles" I think next season is lost as well
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The first sport to get a vaccine will be baseball, thanks to the heroic efforts of researcher Jonas Balk.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #3
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will take North America being on the other side of the bell/curve. Which is why Florida better get its ass in gear so as not to prolong this thing.

20-21 will absolutely get played, though maybe not in its entirety if we're still sitting with some cases and no mass produced vaccine in the fall.

Last edited by djsFlames; 03-19-2020 at 05:55 AM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It will take North America being on the other side of the bell/curve. Which is why Florida better get its ass in gear so as not to prolong this thing.

20-21 will absolutely get played, though maybe not in its entirety if we're still sitting with some cases and no mass produced vaccine in the fall.
There will not be a vaccine by the fall. All the experts I've heard speak about this say a vaccine will not be ready at MINIMUM for one year. Losing another year of sports is entirely possible - but I think we will have to get creative after the initial spike of COVID is over, because the economy can't bear 1 year of this, nor can human beings.

EDIT: A vaccine is also not guaranteed - They've been trying to develop an HIV vaccine since the 80s, to no avail. However, the coronavirus is more stable, and thus more likely for a vaccine to be developed, but we are still only in the testing phase of potential vaccines so time will tell.

Last edited by VilleN; 03-19-2020 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Added info
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:59 AM   #5
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
The first sport to get a vaccine will be baseball, thanks to the heroic efforts of researcher Jonas Balk.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
There will not be a vaccine by the fall. All the experts I've heard speak about this say a vaccine will not be ready at MINIMUM for one year. Losing another year of sports is entirely possible - but I think we will have to get creative after the initial spike of COVID is over, because the economy can't bear 1 year of this, nor can human beings.
Even so, with these claims out of Australia and Japan, and the intense demand, I can't see it taking a whole year to have something, somehow. I think they'll cut corners to expedite the process. There are claims every day it seems that they are ahead of schedule on having something.

Even if it's not a vaccine, but a drug treatment like that which the Japanese are claiming they've found, something that could reduce the mortality rate significantly.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #7
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Even so, with these claims out of Australia and Japan, and the intense demand, I can't see it taking a whole year to have something, somehow. I think they'll cut corners to expedite the process. There are claims every day it seems that they are ahead of schedule on having something.

Even if it's not a vaccine, but a drug treatment like that which the Japanese are claiming they've found, something that could reduce the mortality rate significantly.
It's possible -but treating viruses is pretty complex - there really isn't much available even for the seasonal flu. At this point, if they want to reduce the mortality rate (which, according to the most reliable data out of South Korea is somewhere in the neighbourhood of 0.5-1% - so that's some positive news) they need to ramp up a wartime like manufacturing effort to produce ventilators and hospital beds, train people to use them (like drafting ppl to war) and also manufacturing PPE for coronavirus so that we can get the economy at least partially functioning again.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t want to believe this is even remotely possible.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The absence will also show people that going forward they no longer need or want to spend so much time and money on pro sports. The day of reckoning for growth in the industry has arrived.

It is almost disgusting to read about NFL contract signing $$ this week in the midst of this crisis. Pro sports needs a major correction.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 01:56 PM   #10
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem isn't the time to develop a vaccine. The problem is that after you test it on a person you have to leave them alone for a year or so to make that the vaccine doesn't kill them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 02:01 PM   #11
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The problem isn't the time to develop a vaccine. The problem is that after you test it on a person you have to leave them alone for a year or so to make that the vaccine doesn't kill them.
But Contagion told me it only takes one brave scientist to skip human trials and inject themselves with an experimental vaccine and the pandemic will be over.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #12
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
But Contagion told me it only takes one brave scientist to skip human trials and inject themselves with an experimental vaccine and the pandemic will be over.
That brave scientist's name? Wikus van de Merwe
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put the chance we have a season at 35%. Others?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

40% that we have a training camp then playoffs without fans. I think the 24 team idea would be good.

80% on hockey in October
Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #15
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I'd be fine with no playoffs this season. We weren't going to win it, so I don't want anyone else to win either.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:03 PM   #16
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

They will definitely play in empty arenas if that's the best they can do. It would still generate some revenue, albeit only a fraction.

The problem is that the feasibility of it is poor right now.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will all depend on if a viable vaccine can be developed, and when it can be manufactured in massive quantities.

Right now, it will probably be several months at least.

It would be stupid to flatten the curve and see cases decrease, just start everything back in October for the cold and flu season to resume.

This is why many pandemics throughout history come in waves. People go back to their old ways much sooner than they should and the disease spikes again.
Old 03-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #18
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If the pandemic goes on for that long, the economic catastrophe that will go with it will make attending pro sports events a distant dream for most people.

Also, don't be surprised if the Panthers, Coyotes and Hurricanes are no longer in the league when it resumes play, under that scenario.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #19
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I'd be fine with no playoffs this season. We weren't going to win it, so I don't want anyone else to win either.
But we'll have to deal with Oilers fans thinking they're the 1994 Expos.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2020, 04:04 PM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
But we'll have to deal with Oilers fans thinking they're the 1994 Expos.
Yeah, we need some form of playoffs to dispell this fantasy and see it explode in Staples' face.

I hope we don't have to wait a year for that big serving of crow.