Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #61
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting that it used to be far more common for skilled forwards to play RW.

Flames Cup winning squad:

RW

Loob
Mullen
M Hunter
McDonald
Fleury

LW

Roberts
Patterson
MacLellan
Peplinski
T. Hunter

The Oilers had Anderson and Kurri at RW. The Flyers had Kerr and Tocchet. I wonder when LW became the skilled winger position.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #62
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 13 - Thursday, November 3, 1988 - (ot) St. Louis Blues 1 at Calgary Flames 6

Re: upthread comments about Joel Otto and Lanny McDonald. Both situations get addressed in the next (game 14) report. Otto finally hits the score sheet, while a full feature story about the McDonald situation is included. However, an injury is about to suddenly alter Lanny's situation.

=========================================

Red-hot Doug Gilmour, acquired from St. Louis in September, has 7 points in the last 2 games

bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 05:53 AM   #63
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastFlamesFan View Post
RE: Rob Brown. When did that facial injury take place? Post '89? Weird career path, as he went from 115 points to pretty much out of the league 3 seasons later.
Weird career path indeed. Like you said he was out of the NHL soon after. He was in the minors for 5 years and then was back with the Penguins for 3 more seasons.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:39 AM   #64
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
RE: Rob Brown. When did that facial injury take place? Post '89? Weird career path, as he went from 115 points to pretty much out of the league 3 seasons later.
I'm certain it was Kevin Stevens. Here is the video of his injury. Went for a seemingly routine hit and fell face first into the ice. He had to have surgery on his face afterwards. He did have another solid year and also did well in the lockout shortened season where he missed nearly half the games but if I remember correctly he was battling addictions and it was starting to affect his game.

It happened on May 14, 1993, according to Stevens' Wikipediea page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Stevens

Spoiler in case you don't want to see him hit the ice.
Spoiler!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:43 AM   #65
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsawwassen View Post
Weird career path indeed. Like you said he was out of the NHL soon after. He was in the minors for 5 years and then was back with the Penguins for 3 more seasons.
Yeah, and the numbers he put up in the IHL were very impressive. So good that you'd think he would have had more chances to make the NHL, even with his early success with Mario... the guy must have been lazy or just couldn't skate well enough to keep up in the NHL. I don't really remember why. He had talent though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:05 AM   #66
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I cannot post enough on how great these are. The various news clippings are great as well.

Rob Ramage: A great addition in theory but seemed liked his role was that of much more of Shutdown Dman as opposed to an offensive role. Again, it just shows the depth of the defense that season--just absolutely stacked.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #67
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the compliments on the posts. As I said early on, I already had all of this information compiled and available, but I do need to format it each day for this thread and that takes a chunk of time, which for now is a good thing here on the locked
down USA east coast. Considering the reduced number of people on the board these days, and that even less of those are old enough to not think that 1988-1989 is about as relevant as the Middle Ages, it's nice to hear that it's worth continuing. Game 14 coming shortly at the regular time. Rob Ramage says hello in this game.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #68
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

A Helping Hand: That's what centre Doug Gilmour, eyed by the Sabres' Bob Halkidis (18),
gave the Flames as he collected five assists in the 9-0 victory

Sabres' goalie Tom Barrasso, recently on the Flames' radar as a possible trade target,
had a rough night surrendering five goals and getting ejected for a butt-ending incident

Canadian Olympic Boxing Gold Medalist Lennox Lewis attended the game
and was an enthusiastic spectator when the Hunter-Hartman fisticuffs broke out.

Minor League Report

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:01 PM   #69
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 15 - Monday, November 7, 1988 - Hartford Whalers 3 at Calgary Flames 6

Four-goal scorer Jiri Hrdina

============================================

============================================

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #70
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I can't believe I didn't stumble into this topic until yesterday!

Thanks for giving me something to look forward to every day man, this is gold!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 06:43 AM   #71
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylouie View Post

Ah. Another stat erased from the records books it would seem as it looks like there is no record of the 5 minute major for Nieuwendyk anywhere. Interesting that the PP goal scored by Dineen the following period still holds up. Kind of of a weird situation which I guess has been fixed today by instant replay--right?

https://www.hockey-reference.com/box...811070CGY.html
Old 04-02-2020, 07:06 AM   #72
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

This is just outstanding stuff...like Bingo, i just discovered this.

I attended a lot of the games back then and i remember at least 2 of them that you have already posted, particularly that Sabres whitewash.

Great work and huge thanks.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #73
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
This is just outstanding stuff...like Bingo, i just discovered this.

I attended a lot of the games back then and i remember at least 2 of them that you have already posted, particularly that Sabres whitewash.

Great work and huge thanks.
Random question for the folks here who used to attend games in the 80s. Was smoking still allowed in the Dome back then? I am trying to pinpoint the time frame when smoking was banned in arenas. I started attending games (Whalers) in the early to mid 90s and have zero memory of anyone smoking, but not sure if it was an arena by arena case.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #74
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Random question for the folks here who used to attend games in the 80s. Was smoking still allowed in the Dome back then? I am trying to pinpoint the time frame when smoking was banned in arenas. I started attending games (Whalers) in the early to mid 90s and have zero memory of anyone smoking, but not sure if it was an arena by arena case.
No...you could not smoke inside the dome but there were areas you could go outside and re-enter.

IIRC you couldnt smoke at the Corral either once the Flames arrived, but before that you could.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #75
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Windy day here (Thursday afternoon) and power has flickered on and off once already, so about to post early (12:41 pm mt) just in case.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #76
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 16 - Wednesday, November 9, 1988 - Calgary Flames 2 at Buffalo Sabres 3

Last edited by bobbylouie; 04-02-2020 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 PM   #77
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=EastCoastFlamesFan;7429427]Ah. Another stat erased from the records books it would seem as it looks like there is no record of the 5 minute major for Nieuwendyk anywhere. Interesting that the PP goal scored by Dineen the following period still holds up. Kind of of a weird situation which I guess has been fixed today by instant replay--right?

Regarding this, it gets somewhat addressed in an article a few days later (that I'll post when it comes up naturally for continuity sake since it includes other road trip info)

Essentially, the league agreed that it was Ramage's stick that caused the foul, so they had a few ruling options. The most obvious to me were:

1. The wrong player was admittedly penalized, but since it already happened it's too late to change anything and Nieuwendyk is on the hook for the “warning” on his way to a 1-game suspension if it happens again.

2. (The most reasonable) The wrong player was penalized and since it already happened it's too late to change anything statistics-wise, but Nieuwendyk gets a clean slate and is off the hook for the “warning” on his way to a 1-game suspension.

3. (The slightly clunky way) The wrong player was penalized, so a correction to the record book will indicate that Ramage should have received the major and accompanying misconduct penalty and he is on the hook for the “warning”

Instead, the league went with a convoluted solution that to me makes no sense:

4. (The silly NHL version) The wrong player was penalized, so the penalty will be wiped from the records entirely as if it NEVER HAPPENED. Neither Nieuwendyk nor Ramage have any penalty minutes added to their records (but the Flames‘ team records include the 15 minutes). However, since a power play goal was scored during the 5-minutes the Flames skated shorthanded, that DID HAPPEN and stands.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #78
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=bobbylouie;7430165]
Quote:
Ah. Another stat erased from the records books it would seem as it looks like there is no record of the 5 minute major for Nieuwendyk anywhere. Interesting that the PP goal scored by Dineen the following period still holds up. Kind of of a weird situation which I guess has been fixed today by instant replay--right?

Regarding this, it gets somewhat addressed in an article a few days later (that I'll post when it comes up naturally for continuity sake since it includes other road trip info)

Essentially, the league agreed that it was Ramage's stick that caused the foul, so they had a few ruling options. The most obvious to me were:

1. The wrong player was admittedly penalized, but since it already happened it's too late to change anything and Nieuwendyk is on the hook for the “warning” on his way to a 1-game suspension if it happens again.

2. (The most reasonable) The wrong player was penalized and since it already happened it's too late to change anything statistics-wise, but Nieuwendyk gets a clean slate and is off the hook for the “warning” on his way to a 1-game suspension.

3. (The slightly clunky way) The wrong player was penalized, so a correction to the record book will indicate that Ramage should have received the major and accompanying misconduct penalty and he is on the hook for the “warning”

Instead, the league went with a convoluted solution that to me makes no sense:

4. (The silly NHL version) The wrong player was penalized, so the penalty will be wiped from the records entirely as if it NEVER HAPPENED. Neither Nieuwendyk nor Ramage have any penalty minutes added to their records (but the Flames‘ team records include the 15 minutes). However, since a power play goal was scored during the 5-minutes the Flames skated shorthanded, that DID HAPPEN and stands.
Typical NHL. LOL. So wait--are you saying that the PIM was wiped from Nieuwy's totals but still shows up in the team totals from the 88-89 season?
Old 04-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #79
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's my understanding. The penalty minutes were definitely deducted from
Nieuwendyk's total and definitely not added to Ramage's total. (I have verification of that here). As far as whether they were included in the Flames season total, that would be more adding than I'm up to right now, although there might be a quick way to check if you give me a day. I have the week-to-week team totals so it might only require checking a few games.

Also, my available time is again out of whack here on Friday, so game 17 post coming shortly after I hit the submit reply button on this one.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #80
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Game 17 -Thursday, November 10, 1988 - (ot) Calgary Flames 3 at Philadelphia Flyers 2

SCott Mellanby and Dana Murzyn work along the boards

The Following User Says Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post: