Franchise Player

Exp:

Very sorry for your loss.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #1102
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone used Paws to Rest for their ‘Quality of Life’ consultation or euthanasia. Beyond the in-home visit, any different than you may expect from a usual vet?

Long story short, my guy needs some pain killers and we might be looking at next to zero hind capacity soon. He’s has a bad leg his whole life, and I knew from an early age that his hip/leg/knee would all get arthritic and lame. He’s been managing well with diet supplements, CBD, and Deramaxx (very) rarely given as needed. The last few days he’s been panting more, finally whimpered last night while trying to sleep and really broke my heart.

Aside from kicking myself wondering if maybe I should have been dosing him more with the meds, or ifs he’s always been in so much pain, or did I save him from organ damage years ago etc etc I think it’s time to just load him up on the meds and see if he can get back to being able to sit down.

Just so friggin stressed that he might be suffering now for no reason, if this is just how it’s going to be for him. Vet tomorrow no doubt.

Honour also paid to Ron, my cat. 8 years, the little guy grew into one hell of a big cat with a big attitude. He grew up thinking my dog was his mom or something; that cat was damn near attached at the hip to him. From just a kitten he’d sit at the window meowing at the dog, until I finally let him loose. From there on, Ron lived like a badass tomcat, and all my immediate neighbours gave him treats and let him in.
I haven’t seen him for a month now; it’s weird, it’s almost like he knew his dog wasn’t going to be around much longer and decided ‘#### that’.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM   #1103
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sorry. I haven't used that service. Your vet should know your dog pretty well and has access to all his medical history. This is always the worst part of pet guardianship but I have always been so grateful that I could stop end of life suffering and give my loved ones a dignified and loving end. Good luck and I hope Ron comes back.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:00 AM   #1104
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

12 hours from now, I’ll be putting my boy to rest. And I’m just so ####ing sad.
Old 10-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #1105
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Old 10-23-2020, 12:07 AM   #1106
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Sorry for you, make the next moments and all the best times last for ever.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:25 AM   #1107
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It is the kindest thing you will ever do. Remember that. Love him till then.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2020, 06:37 AM   #1108
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry to hear 81MC. It is the most loving thing you do as a pet owner, to release them from pain and suffering after all the love they have given you.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:40 AM   #1109
BowRiverBruinsRule
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My thoughts and tears for you 81MC. I lost my girl a month and a half ago and I am still sad. Take care.
BowRiverBruinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #1110
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Back in the summer, while I was still in CP self exile, I had to deal with putting down dear Molly, my Wiener Dog of 14 years. I can't lie, losing her, having to make the decision, and deal with the loss was actually harder than some people I have known, and lost.

This is the thing with me, and any dog I've ever had. Myself included, there isn't a person I know, that I can't say "Well....they kinda did some ####ty things along the way...." A dog, they are a part of your world, but to them, you ARE their world. They live to please you, be with you, and nothing makes them happier than seeing you. They have the mystical ability to cheer you up when you are sad, and just petting her lowered my heart rate when I was stressed. What's the worst Molly ever did? Chew up a few phone charging cables? Eating an entire bag of cheese popcorn that was left on the coffee table and costing me $300 to get her stomach pumped?

Molly was cruising along like a champ, and turned downhill in an instant. She was 14, and still acted like a puppy. What I didn't know, was she had an aggressive tumor on her liver, and in a blink, she went from charging around my parents back yard, to yelping in pain, and less than 48 hours later, the humane thing needed to be done. When the Vet called, she asked, "Would you like to be here, or should we just go ahead with it?" I couldn't ever imagine, not being there for her, after all she had been there for me and my family.

After it was done, I asked the Vet, "You asked me if I wanted to be here, is there people that actually abandoned their pet in the final moments?" She expressed to me, about half of people do exactly that. I read a lot on the topic in the days that followed, and the stress, confusion and fear that puts a domesticated animal through..... it's just wrong.

So please, even if you don't cope well with death, just get through that uncomfortable moment, and allow your pet pass on in the company of the one thing that matters to them more than anyone.... you. The gifts they give us are such a small price to pay.

After a few months of grieving, we decided to move on and brought Ruby the Wiener Dog into our lives, and the first thing I promised her, is no matter what, I will be with her until the very end to.

RIP Molly, you were amazing, and even though someone else is filling your little shoes, you won't be forgotten, and you were the best dog I ever had.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #1111
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Beautifully written Pylon. Sincere condolences for your loss. RIP Molly.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:12 PM   #1112
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Condolences on your loss, Pylon. It's such a difficult choice to have to make for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
After it was done, I asked the Vet, "You asked me if I wanted to be here, is there people that actually abandoned their pet in the final moments?" She expressed to me, about half of people do exactly that. I read a lot on the topic in the days that followed, and the stress, confusion and fear that puts a domesticated animal through..... it's just wrong.
I am often asked about my thoughts on this by friends facing down this choice. I don't really know why, but my answer has never, ever changed. I've even provided it in this thread before:

Quote:
"I know that this is a very personal decision...but I know that for me, as much as it would hurt, I couldn't possibly let someone I consider a family member and a dear friend face death alone. Not after all we'd have gone through."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #1113
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have unfortunately had to say goodbye to quite a few animal family members. I have always felt they find a way to let you know they are ready, whether putting their head on your stomach, or signalling how tired they are with their eyes.

Know that you have done the right thing - always - and that your pet will know how much you love them through your unselfishness in letting them go.

My sincerest sympathies to everyone who has to go through this. It doesn't get any easier, believe me.
OldSam is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #1114
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Condolences on your loss, Pylon. It's such a difficult choice to have to make for them.

I am often asked about my thoughts on this by friends facing down this choice. I don't really know why, but my answer has never, ever changed. I've even provided it in this thread before:
Thanks so much.

Out of curiosity, are you a Veterinarian?
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:43 AM   #1115
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Thanks so much.

Out of curiosity, are you a Veterinarian?
I am not, but I have volunteered a lot with animal causes, and speak to a lot of people about them.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:21 AM   #1116
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm so sorry for your loss Pylon. Molly sounds like a wonderful girl.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #1117
BlAcKNoVa
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've never gone into this thread as I've always tried to not think about our pet's own mortality, but this morning we put our beautiful 15 year old cat Shaula to sleep. It all happened so fast but last week she seemed fine or at the least did a very good job of keeping her illness from us. She started breathing a bit more heavily 3-4 days back and spent a majority of her time in the bathroom where it's warmest. Took her in this morning to the vet and I guess her little heart was starting to give in and she had a lot of fluid building up in her lungs and stomach. Wasn't a hard decision to have her put to sleep but I am absolutely gutted. Roughest day of my life by far.

BlAcKNoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BlAcKNoVa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 02:35 PM   #1118
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sorry to hear that BlackNova. Never an easy thing to do.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #1119
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

I'm not a cat person BlackNova but that is one of the most attractive cats I've ever seen.

I'm very sorry for your loss.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 02:49 PM   #1120
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

We had to put our Chance down last Tuesday. When we adopted him we knew he had a cancerous tumor removed from his leg - we were told he had at best 6 months. We almost made it to 4 years. He was the most stubborn dog in the world - but he made us laugh every single day. He was in so much pain at the end - I am glad he can rest peacefully now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote