Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2020, 11:50 AM   #21
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The best part of this story is the Tesla decided to book it when the cops showed up
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 11:51 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Last I checked Tesla Autopilot is 1.8 million miles per crash, average of all drivers 400,000 miles. Number differ depending on source, naturally.

What really grinds my gears about "autopilot" is people generally don't even know what it is in relation to aircraft. This is what is actually is:

Apply that to an automobile. It does NOT REPLACE THE HUMAN DRIVER and they must PAY ATTENTION. Just like in an aircraft.
You would need to look at like miles rather than all miles to compare humans to Tesla autopilot. The Tesla data would also need to somehow be conditioned for when humans intervened to prevent an issue.

Last edited by GGG; 09-17-2020 at 11:56 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
If he were passed out rather than asleep and letting the Tesla drive for him should he be charged with impaired driving?

There is no difference between the two scenarios. Note I am arguing what should be the consequence rather than what the law states.

New Jersey and Arizona have fatigued driving statues that are similar to DUIs.
If someone is suffering from insomnia or has ran into a grief situation where they don't sleep well and crash, they'll be on the hook for what they've done and I am not aware of any situation they'd be given a DUI on top of everything.

If the dude was sleeping because he had something and was sleeping it off (booze etc.), tack on the DUI. But if he was just sleeping, while I agree it's stupid, he shouldn't be ticketed for anything other than what he was doing. (ie: Speeding, reckless driving, possibly stunting etc.).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #24
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You would need to look at like miles rather than all miles to compare humans to Tesla autopilot. The Tesla data would also need to somehow be conditioned for when humans intervened to prevent an issue.
It doesn't matter if the human driver intervened or not, total miles driven per crash speaks for itself. Plus the driver tries to avoid a crash (well mostly) in all scenarios.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't matter if the human driver intervened or not, total miles driven per crash speaks for itself. Plus the driver tries to avoid a crash (well mostly) in all scenarios.
I had quoted the wrong post Noifotu’s assertion appeared to be that the Tesla system was better with this guy sleeping. That assertion is in no way supported by data.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:21 PM   #26
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
If someone is suffering from insomnia or has ran into a grief situation where they don't sleep well and crash, they'll be on the hook for what they've done and I am not aware of any situation they'd be given a DUI on top of everything.

If the dude was sleeping because he had something and was sleeping it off (booze etc.), tack on the DUI. But if he was just sleeping, while I agree it's stupid, he shouldn't be ticketed for anything other than what he was doing. (ie: Speeding, reckless driving, possibly stunting etc.).
I agree the current law does not allow him to be charged with a DUI. A person sleeping in a vehicle should be able to be charged with a DUI like in New Jersey.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:27 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Obviously laws need to be adjusted for new technology...

20 year old from BC lol how did I know
Old 09-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #28
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I had quoted the wrong post Noifotu’s assertion appeared to be that the Tesla system was better with this guy sleeping. That assertion is in no way supported by data.
You can't engage Autopilot then snooze off the car will bing and bong until you at least interact with the wheel.

From the CBC article:
Quote:
Both front seats were fully reclined and both occupants appeared to be sound asleep.
Appeared? Doesn't mean they were.
Quote:
The car appeared to be driving in autopilot at more than 140 km/h, RCMP Sgt. Darrin Turnbull told CBC News on Thursday.
I'd say what really happened is the people reclined the seats and engaged Autopilot, but still were interacting with the steering wheel.
Quote:
"Nobody was looking out the windshield to see where the car was going," Turnbull said.
Which makes the driver a jackass.
Quote:
"But of course, there are aftermarket things that can be done to a vehicle against the manufacturer's recommendations to change or circumvent the safety system."
AFAIK Autopilot has never been hacked, or any part of the system. People have tried but failed.
Quote:
After the responding officer activated emergency lights on their vehicle, the Tesla automatically began to accelerate.
No it did not.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #29
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’ll be first in line for a Tesla Motorhome!
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My Tesla driving friend says you have to jiggle the wheel every 45 seconds in autopilot, and is skeptical about this story.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #31
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My Tesla driving friend says you have to jiggle the wheel every 45 seconds in autopilot, and is skeptical about this story.
Could be citrus involved
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #32
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Knees pressing against the wheel, with jiggling happening during small bumps. Can be done.

Source: used auto-pilot in a normal car from Edmonton to Calgary while sleeping the whole way
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #33
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you can buy after market programming that makes your tesla nearly autonomous. People show off online a lot...like reading a book in the backseat and stupid stuff like that.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:30 PM   #34
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I found a bunch of these posts about self driving hacks:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywi.../#69c83fed7245

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/chin...ing-lanes.html
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #35
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
There are some easy hacks on this. The steering column just needs to feel slight torque every 1 minute to ensure drivers hands are on the wheel. Some people (not me) have put coats or other clothes / weights on the wheel which satisfies the slight torque on the column required.

As for the people asking about the 140, you can set the autopilot to drive +/- relative to the speed limit, although my experience it has never let me do it more than 10+ the speed limit for auto pilot. It lets it go more than 10+ for cruise control however.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #36
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post

Are fully autonomous cars legal here? I would assume they have to be approved, in which case the driver should be charged with distracted driving, reckless driving or something else (agreed DUI doesn’t fit)
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think I've mentioned it before, but total miles driven between accidents is not a great stat to use. Autopilot is used on the easy driving portions of a trip. It doesn't work in complex sitations, or snow covered roads. So you would expect far fewer incidents on easy driving roads. So you can't really compare it directly like that, unless you are Elon Musk trying to convince people it is safer than it is. So I don't think the numbers 'speak for themselves".
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:51 PM   #38
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, not entirely. Demographics, operating conditions, sample size would need to be accounted for. As an example, teenagers are the highest risk group in the states, and I don’t know if there’s a whole lot of 19 year olds running around in Tesla’s. Current story not withstanding.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #39
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
There are some easy hacks on this. The steering column just needs to feel slight torque every 1 minute to ensure drivers hands are on the wheel. Some people (not me) have put coats or other clothes / weights on the wheel which satisfies the slight torque on the column required.

As for the people asking about the 140, you can set the autopilot to drive +/- relative to the speed limit, although my experience it has never let me do it more than 10+ the speed limit for auto pilot. It lets it go more than 10+ for cruise control however.
Perhaps Tesla should also be checking the seat angle, and disabling it when it reclines past a certain point. Don't lots of cars also have eye monitoring to make sure the driver is alert?

Regulatory agencies are getting left in the dust here, they need to tackle these issues so there are clear rules of what can and can't be automated under what circumstances. And it's not like these are new this year, they've had several years(decade?) to see this coming. Total failure on their part.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-17-2020 at 01:58 PM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I don’t see what autopilot has to do with anything here. The guy was doing 150km/h. That’s against the law. Full stop.
fixed, driving 150 km/hr is a D-bag move no matter how you look at it.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote