Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-31-2016, 09:40 AM   #41
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at a friends house a couple weeks ago and one of the guys was a police officer in Calgary who was talking very candidly and he was honestly a piece of #### person. He was unashamedly racist. Referred to black people as the n-word. As in, instead of saying black person or black people he would say n*****r or n*****rs like it was the 40's in the south. Was even worse on natives. I was honestly disgusted after talking to him. He had so much contempt for people. He said "no one is a victim of a crime". I ask him to clarify as that is an insane statement in my mind. Said every victim has a record so not really a victim. He is a fairly new police officer. I didn't know him before so I can't speak to the vetting process allowing this POS in or if the job made him this way. I find it hard to believe his beliefs don't effect his behavior on the job.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #42
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I blame part of it on the color template of their new vehicles/cruisers. Yeah, they look badass. But we don't want our cops acting badass, they should go back to the blue and white friendly version. We don't need the A-team running around our city.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:53 AM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I got mad at a guy in a parking lot a few days ago, didn't honk or flip him off or anything...just a scowly look at the moment he almost hit me. I got out of the car, minded my own beezwax and started walking to the building. The guy approached me, asked if I had a problem. So I gave him a full explanation of the accident he almost caused. Then he showed me his CPS sweater and told me he's going to summons me for causing a disturbance. When I pointed out there was no one around to be disturbed and that he spoke to me first he said it didn't matter because the courts always believed cops over people like me. Kind of makes me hate cops again.
I would have taken a photo of his licence plate, and filed a complaint.

https://www.calgarypolicecommission....s-and-concerns

Note: Complaints about off-duty conduct may be considered when there is a sufficient connection between the conduct and the police officer's position.

Last edited by troutman; 10-31-2016 at 09:56 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #44
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Although I've seen a few incidents of CPS being dicks, for the most part my experience with them has been positive.

incompetent .
Expand please.

What specifically where they doing that was incompetent.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #45
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. I took Criminal Justice in school and most of the guys that wanted to be Police Officers there were absolute tools. They all thought they were the greatest guys on earth, were really self-righteous, and took themselves way too seriously (that said, there were a few super nice guys as well). It really turned me off of wanting to be a cop. I still might go down that road, I haven't decided yet, but I'm starting to look at other options for myself. The police culture can be ridiculous and I'm not sure I'm a fan of how a lot of those types of people act.
I had a friend that went most of the way through the police application process and ended up giving up on it. He is a really smart guy, could probably actually memorize the criminal code. I would think he would make a good police officer, but what do I know. What he told me was that he felt the whole process wasn't looking for good police officers but was instead looking for a specific type of person. He seemed pretty disillusioned and disappointed by the whole thing.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:57 AM   #46
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I had nothing but overwhelmingly positive experiences with CPS in my time in Calgary, they are awesome. Conversely, I've had nothing but negative experiences elsewhere in Alberta with Lethbridge Police far and away the worst, and Edmonton Police just generally rotten in their mandate to maximize revenue with speed traps.
The near 24/7 speed traps set up on Flanders/Crowchild would disagree with you. Sometimes in both directions at the same time.

It's like they gather at the AM meetings to determine how to best annoy the crap out of Calgarians.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:58 AM   #47
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Yeah, I agree with this. I took Criminal Justice in school and most of the guys that wanted to be Police Officers there were absolute tools. They all thought they were the greatest guys on earth, were really self-righteous, and took themselves way too seriously (that said, there were a few super nice guys as well). It really turned me off of wanting to be a cop. I still might go down that road, I haven't decided yet, but I'm starting to look at other options for myself. The police culture can be ridiculous and I'm not sure I'm a fan of how a lot of those types of people act.
Honestly, the only way the culture gets better (outside of exposure and public pressure) is from good cops being within the group and being a voice of sanity.

Tall order mind you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 AM   #48
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I would have taken a photo of his licence plate, and filed a complaint.

https://www.calgarypolicecommission....s-and-concerns

Note: Complaints about off-duty conduct may be considered when there is a sufficient connection between the conduct and the police officer's position.
Actually that's funny. I did take a license plate picture. And I got enough of his story to place him there. But I didn't know how or if I even had a complaint. So thanks very much for the link. I'm going to do that if just to have my side recorded. Thanks again.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #49
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is a brutal article. Here's a follow up from yesterday...

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...oming-to-light

Maybe this is coming to light now because the newish chief is willing to do something about it.
http://globalnews.ca/news/3031604/ca...-with-ex-wife/

Quote:
We’ve come forward with these allegations to make sure that we’re transparent and showing accountability, but I think the officer has—like anybody else in Canada has—the right to be presumed innocent.”

Good, hopefully the CPS continues to work towards transparency.

Quote:
Old 10-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #50
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
I was at a friends house a couple weeks ago and one of the guys was a police officer in Calgary who was talking very candidly and he was honestly a piece of #### person. He was unashamedly racist. Referred to black people as the n-word. As in, instead of saying black person or black people he would say n*****r or n*****rs like it was the 40's in the south. Was even worse on natives. I was honestly disgusted after talking to him. He had so much contempt for people. He said "no one is a victim of a crime". I ask him to clarify as that is an insane statement in my mind. Said every victim has a record so not really a victim. He is a fairly new police officer. I didn't know him before so I can't speak to the vetting process allowing this POS in or if the job made him this way. I find it hard to believe his beliefs don't effect his behavior on the job.
Ugh. That guy shouldn't be employed anywhere, let alone as a police officer.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 AM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Actually that's funny. I did take a license plate picture. And I got enough of his story to place him there. But I didn't know how or if I even had a complaint. So thanks very much for the link. I'm going to do that if just to have my side recorded. Thanks again.
Even if he is not disciplined this will go on his file, and he will think twice about pulling that garbage again.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #52
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Let's be honest here, our force isn't exactly made up of the gold standard of candidates. During boom time, a lot of people got in that couldn't got on in with the RCMP or other communities. I have some former classmates of mine from back East that are cops out here or with the Edmonton force. None could catch on with the RCMP or other local forces back East, but they all magically made the cut out here during boom time.

Do I think our force is rotten? No, I would bet the majority are good people doing the best job they can. Do I think it has a larger collections of d-bags than most and some lower quality hires as a result of the boom? Absolutely. Hopefully they will continue to get weeded out as time moves on.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 11:58 AM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
I blame part of it on the color template of their new vehicles/cruisers. Yeah, they look badass. But we don't want our cops acting badass, they should go back to the blue and white friendly version. We don't need the A-team running around our city.
I've actually sort of been going back and forth on this myself. Initially I held the same belief as you, those cruisers look badass! But who cares what the cruisers look like?

But when you really boil it down, it does matter. They have a psychological effect. Those cruisers look like they just rolled out of Robocop-Era Detroit.

When the cops roll up looking to the scene as though they're equally likely to take you away as help you it makes people inherently defensive.

So I came right back around, yeah, go back to the blue and white cars.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:13 PM   #54
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Probably because he seems like more of the politician type and was good at covering these things up. If you look at the dates of most of the negative publicity stuff that's coming out it's mostly from when he was in charge.
I'm glad Hanson is gone, he started advocating for some pretty concerning things before he left, like DNA upon arrest.

It looks like he was more concerned with covering things up and having a great public image, then actually doing what's right and holding officers accountable for misconduct.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wiggum_PI For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:19 PM   #55
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian policing has always attracted a certain personality type. The kind of guys you'd want in your corner if someone was coming at you with a knife, but probably not the best choice for the 90 per cent of encounters with the public that don't involve violence. When visiting countries in Europe I've been struck by how normal-looking the police are - just men and women of average size and demeanor wearing a green sweater or something, rather than the muscle-bound military types you seen in Canada and the U.S., strutting with clenched jaws, guns and cuffs jangling at the hip.

I doubt bad police behaviour is any more common in Calgary now than it was 40 or 50 years ago. We're just much more likely to find out about it now, and much less tolerant when we find out about.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:21 PM   #56
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:22 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Zero emission Vehicle? Are there pedals inside?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #58
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
pfft

Quote:
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #59
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Even if he is not disciplined this will go on his file, and he will think twice about pulling that garbage again.
The other part however is that I'm a bit nervous about what he might say about me if challenged. He told me to my face he was willing to make up a charge against me. If I pursue him in this way he could say I assaulted him or caused a disturbance. It's maybe just fiction in my head but that bad cop stuff does intimidate.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:30 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I doubt bad police behaviour is any more common in Calgary now than it was 40 or 50 years ago. We're just much more likely to find out about it now, and much less tolerant when we find out about.
This is the main point here. I don't think I've ever worked in a large group of people where everyone was an exemplary employee or great person. The reason we have police services is to protect us from ourselves so it's pretty reasonable to expect that not every single officer is going to meet the standards we expect of our police force. Inherent primal traits of jealousy, greed, anger, etc. define our breed and I have yet to see any indication that we are evolving past this.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote