Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 08:23 PM   #6981
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well during that time period, the Flames were too busy signing James Neal/Derek Ryan and a week prior, Treliving had just completed a trade for Lindholm and Hanifin.
Don’t forget about Austin Czarnik.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #6982
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Pietrangenlo doesn't scream Toronto Maple Leaf to anybody else, yall gone loopy. They'll move whatever they need to get that guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #6983
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Its easy for us to say this guy and that guy are equivalent for the Flames but Buffalo obviously liked something about the Blues Package (giggity)

I'm sure a lot of teams wish the got ROR now...lets not forget he wasn't the player his is now at the time of the trade

I think Buffalo liked the quantity. They sure picked up a ton of pieces, but nothing substantial. I think the St Louis scouts did a great job of recognizing what they needed to get their team to the next level and they found the perfect player that worked in their system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2020, 08:35 PM   #6984
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
If Pietrangenlo doesn't scream Toronto Maple Leaf to anybody else, yall gone loopy. They'll move whatever they need to get that guy.
Nylander, come on down!
Old 09-18-2020, 08:38 PM   #6985
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Nylander, come on down!
100% that is the guy moving
Old 09-18-2020, 08:40 PM   #6986
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
They don't have the cap space to fill out their roster, how are they supposed to afford an $8m defenseman? They'll have enough trouble finding the cap to sign a $5m defenseman.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:48 PM   #6987
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
They don't have the cap space to fill out their roster, how are they supposed to afford an $8m defenseman? They'll have enough trouble finding the cap to sign a $5m defenseman.
As posted above, Nylander to the Flames, how about for Ryan and the Flames' 2020 1st? Only because the Leafs need the cap space to sign Pietrangelo.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #6988
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
It's not like the combos I've suggested have never played together.

Gaudreau and Monahan have had a ton of success together that you are writing off over 1 poor season.

Tkachuk and Lindholm play together on the PP and Lindholm and Mangiapane played together a little when Tkachuk was injured in the playoffs.

Bennett and Backlund have played together on many occasions. Dube has played with Bennett and had success, Mangiapane has played with Backlund, witch success.

You're right this isn't a video game, yet here you are trying to slot in Lindholm who has never played a full season in the NHL at center as the teams #1 center because you think he will be an upgrade to the guy of the same age with 7 years at center and has outscored him by almost 100 points in their careers.

I love Lindholm, but dropping him in as the #1C and expecting success is nothing short of delusional.
What exactly confuses you about Lindholm at the center position exactly? He was drafted as a center, he played tons of center in both Carolina, has historically been great in the faceoff circle and even in his time as a center this past season for the Flames, he looked excellent.

As for Gaudreau and Monahan, they do work. But only in parts of the regular season as this duo has proven time and time again that they can’t get it done when the game tightens up. Their disappointing playoff performances also speaks for itself. It’s time to move on from the current rendition of this first line.

Personally, I think this team is close. The forward depth is there, the young players are there and they have a great shut down line along with solid bottom 6. It’s just a matter of getting a first line that can do it both in the regular season and the playoffs. The Flames are unlikely to get that coveted elite #1 center, but Treliving does have a lot of quality pieces that can be moved out to fill out the rest of the holes.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #6989
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
As posted above, Nylander to the Flames, how about for Ryan and the Flames' 2020 1st?
The Leafs wouldn't be able to afford to take on any salary. They have $6 million in space to fill 5 roster spots, per capfriendly, but that is with them having 7 defensemen including Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen and Marincin, as well as 9 forwards including Robertson. They still have Mikheyev as a RFA as well.

But for the sake of argument, let's say they they do make that suggested trade.
That would leave them with a little under $11m in cap space, which includes moving down Marincin and Rosen. Say Petro signs for 8m. That would leave $3m to to sign 3 forwards and leaving them with just a 20 man roster.

Also at that point they just start looking like the Oilers with zero wing depth, actually maybe even worse wing depth if that is possible.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:12 PM   #6990
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Rights to Brodie, Hamonic, and Gustafsson + 4th Round Pick for rights to Pietrangelo please....
Old 09-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #6991
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
What exactly confuses you about Lindholm at the center position exactly? He was drafted as a center, he played tons of center in both Carolina, has historically been great in the faceoff circle and even in his time as a center this past season for the Flames, he looked excellent.

As for Gaudreau and Monahan, they do work. But only in parts of the regular season as this duo has proven time and time again that they can’t get it done when the game tightens up. Their disappointing playoff performances also speaks for itself. It’s time to move on from the current rendition of this first line.

Personally, I think this team is close. The forward depth is there, the young players are there and they have a great shut down line along with solid bottom 6. It’s just a matter of getting a first line that can do it both in the regular season and the playoffs. The Flames are unlikely to get that coveted elite #1 center, but Treliving does have a lot of quality pieces that can be moved out to fill out the rest of the holes.

Lots of players are drafted as centers and play very little center in the NHL. Jiri Hudler was drafted as a center. Michael Frolik was drafted as a center. Jeff Skinner was drafted as a center. Being drafted as a center means somewhere between zero and #### all. The fact of the matter is even when the Hurricanes had poor center depth, Lindholm was used as a winger. He was traded here and again, used as a winger. His actual amount of time as a center is pretty small.

We hear about disappointing playoff performances for tons of players, until we don't. Lots of guys start slow and then become better in the playoffs as they get older. ROR was a playoff failure, then he won a Conn Smyth. Ovechkin, playoff failure, then he wins a Conn Smythe. And why aren't you crapping on Lindholm's playoff performance? He was every bit as bad as Gaudreau and Monahan in the past 2 playoffs.

I agree this team is close, but part of that is Gaudreau and Monahan. We need to add to our top group, not take away from it and make changes that are reminiscent of someone playing NHL 20 just because you are to daft to see the improvements made by the top line in this years playoff, especially on the defensive end.

I get it, you are one of those people who think the grass is always greener. But what you are suggesting is like laying down astroturf and calling it grass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 09:49 PM   #6992
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
Rights to Brodie, Hamonic, and Gustafsson + 4th Round Pick for rights to Pietrangelo please....

so pointless in so many ways
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 09:56 PM   #6993
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of players are drafted as centers and play very little center in the NHL. Jiri Hudler was drafted as a center. Michael Frolik was drafted as a center. Jeff Skinner was drafted as a center. Being drafted as a center means somewhere between zero and #### all. The fact of the matter is even when the Hurricanes had poor center depth, Lindholm was used as a winger. He was traded here and again, used as a winger. His actual amount of time as a center is pretty small.

We hear about disappointing playoff performances for tons of players, until we don't. Lots of guys start slow and then become better in the playoffs as they get older. ROR was a playoff failure, then he won a Conn Smyth. Ovechkin, playoff failure, then he wins a Conn Smythe. And why aren't you crapping on Lindholm's playoff performance? He was every bit as bad as Gaudreau and Monahan in the past 2 playoffs.

I agree this team is close, but part of that is Gaudreau and Monahan. We need to add to our top group, not take away from it and make changes that are reminiscent of someone playing NHL 20 just because you are to daft to see the improvements made by the top line in this years playoff, especially on the defensive end.

I get it, you are one of those people who think the grass is always greener. But what you are suggesting is like laying down astroturf and calling it grass.

Honestly, I get your point about about Lindholm, but I don’t accept it. It doesn’t even matter if Lindholm has ever played center or not, if he’s good at it, which based on what I’ve seen, he is, then that’s it. Pierre Luc Dubois played half a season of center in junior and Columbus still thought he’d make a great center, which he has been.

Also, how was Ryan O’Reilly a playoff failure exactly? In his first playoff series, he was a rookie, so lack of production can be excused. In his second attempt as a 23 year old, he had 6 points in 7 games. Hardly a failure. If anything, he struggles more so in the regular season and then picks up his game in the playoffs which makes sense to me as the style of his play is more suited to the playoffs over the run and gun regular season. Monahan & Gaudreau on the other-hand have shown the exact opposite.

Lastly, yes, Lindholm has been subpar in the playoffs so far which is why I don’t have him on my untouchables list. If he could be packaged up for an elite #1 center, then by all means. But at the moment, he’s the Flames leading scorer and most complete player. He has a lot of dimensions to his game on top of a wicked contract, so it’s hard to imagine Treliving looking to get rid of him.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #6994
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think that’s a fair point - O’Reilly had 6 in 7 games? Monahan just put up 8 in 10, if all we’re doing is looking at points.

I hate this whole “Lindholm as centre!”, back when they tried him at centre Lindholm I believe even said he prefers wing - but that if he’s going to centre, then give him a run at centre and don’t just try it for a small bit.

Lindholm is an RW, and a pretty solid one (although I think he is a bit overrated from a defensive perspective by some). Lindy also isn’t our most complete player, that distinction belongs to Tkachuk. Another thing I would say is that Lindholm is not a better centre than Monahan is.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 PM   #6995
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The Leafs wouldn't be able to afford to take on any salary. They have $6 million in space to fill 5 roster spots, per capfriendly, but that is with them having 7 defensemen including Sandin, Liljegren, Rosen and Marincin, as well as 9 forwards including Robertson. They still have Mikheyev as a RFA as well.

But for the sake of argument, let's say they they do make that suggested trade.
That would leave them with a little under $11m in cap space, which includes moving down Marincin and Rosen. Say Petro signs for 8m. That would leave $3m to to sign 3 forwards and leaving them with just a 20 man roster.

Also at that point they just start looking like the Oilers with zero wing depth, actually maybe even worse wing depth if that is possible.
No doubt about it, they would still need to make more moves, but even a straight salary dump of Nylander would still need to be at least replaced by a forward earning league minimum. At least this would replace him with a serviceable NHL-calibre forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don’t think that’s a fair point - O’Reilly had 6 in 7 games? Monahan just put up 8 in 10, if all we’re doing is looking at points.

I hate this whole “Lindholm as centre!”, back when they tried him at centre Lindholm I believe even said he prefers wing - but that if he’s going to centre, then give him a run at centre and don’t just try it for a small bit.

Lindholm is an RW, and a pretty solid one (although I think he is a bit overrated from a defensive perspective by some). Lindy also isn’t our most complete player, that distinction belongs to Tkachuk. Another thing I would say is that Lindholm is not a better centre than Monahan is.
I agree, I have seen no evidence to suggest that Lindholm would be a 1C on a Cup contender. Also, moving him to C would leave us with a grand total of zero NHL-calibre natural right wingers.

Last edited by Macindoc; 09-18-2020 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:23 PM   #6996
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
No doubt about it, they would still need to make more moves, but even a straight salary dump of Nylander would still need to be at least replaced by a forward earning league minimum. At least this would replace him with a serviceable NHL-calibre forward.
They'd be better off moving Marner for Dumba+. Get a top 4 RHD, plus lthey should be able to land a middle 6 winger and probably a pick/prospect as well, all while spreading the cap around better and maybe even saving space on top of it.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:26 PM   #6997
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carolina tried Lindholm at centre a number of times without success. Calgary tried it a couple times and it wasn’t great (but small sample). Faceoffs: Lindholm was below 50% this year (and therefore behind Monahan, Backlund, Ryan and Bennett). The season before he was also below 50% but second (behind Monahan). He was above 50% in Carolina.

The other thing is that if Lindholm is a C, you lose a RHS on RW.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #6998
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Carolina tried Lindholm at centre a number of times without success. Calgary tried it a couple times and it wasn’t great (but small sample). Faceoffs: Lindholm was below 50% this year (and therefore behind Monahan, Backlund, Ryan and Bennett). The season before he was also below 50% but second (behind Monahan). He was above 50% in Carolina.

The other thing is that if Lindholm is a C, you lose a RHS on RW.
No way, a RW that hasn't learn't how to take face offs is bad at face offs?

Colour me shocked.

Maybe let the guy try if thats the plan but stats don't count when he hasn't been given the chance to learn how to take

draws.

Sorry Gioforpm, if I would have read ahead i would have clearly seen the disclaimer.

Sorry

Last edited by MrMike; 09-18-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:54 PM   #6999
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't worry too much about RW, if Tre is serious about moving some key pieces. One example of a team with a wealth of talent in the position is Florida, with Borgstrom, Tippett, Heponiemi, Saarela and Noel all in some stage of development. You want a RW, I can get you a RW.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #7000
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
No way, a RW that hasn't learn't how to take face offs is bad at face offs?

Colour me shocked.

Maybe let the guy try if thats the plan but stats don't count when he hasn't been given the chance to learn how to take

draws.

Sorry Gioforpm, if I would have read ahead i would have clearly seen the disclaimer.

Sorry
Lindholm was a C in junior, and took every right side draw on the top line in Calgary, at least in the D zone. He knows how to take faceoffs. He just isn’t as good as Monahan at them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread