Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #1101
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

If you are to cut them down, I recommend cutting off all the branches first, take off your shirt then use an axe.... at 11:30 at night. Great way to meet your new neighbors

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:45 PM   #1102
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given it's getting to be fall, anyone have any recommendations for a good patio heater? or are most of the standing brands all about the same?
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #1103
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Advice on cottoneasters? Have a bunch of winter kill I haven't touched yet. Considering cutting the whole hedge down. What's best for this, fall or spring?

They grow like weeds. Had our sidewalks replaced five or so years ago where they cut the front hedge down, came back and matched the rest of the hedge in 2-3 yrs. So thinking the season to hack it all down doesn't really matter?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #1104
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

It might not just be winter kill.

Cottoneaster in Calgary has a huge problem right now with Oyster Shell Scale as well as fire blight. If it is fire blight, you can prune the affected branch, put it in a garbage bag, and dispose of it.

https://www.royaldutchtreeservices.c...ershell-scale/

Treatment for Oyster Shell Scale depends on the time of season. If early spring or summer and you see the bugs, you can treat them. Otherwise, prune out affected branches, and if very severe, cut the whole hedge down.

https://www.calgary.ca/csps/parks/pl...ell-scale.html
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:25 PM   #1105
puckhog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I’m fairly new to yard maintenance, so please bear with this basic question.

My wife and I moved into a new house where the yard in general and lawn in particular were a mess. The lawn has a lot of crabgrass, dandelions and other weeds. We did a lot of work manually to try to pull the weeds, but we couldn’t really keep up with them and we’re feeling like a Green Drop type service might give us a jump start for next year. Is this something that’s worth doing in the fall or is it better to wait for spring? Possibly both? Or is it just a waste of money?

It’s mostly weed control we’re interested in, I’m planning to do the winterizing generally.
puckhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #1106
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did that when I moved in and it seemed to help a lot with the weeds. Just be careful with Green Drop - I asked for their service for one year, then they showed up the next year without a request and sent me an invoice. I told them I didn't want the service. The following year they showed up again and again sent an invoice (I didn't pay either).
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:53 PM   #1107
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Yeah maybe not 6 feet exactly but I worry about the top soil settling so would prefer to not have to remove it all. Haven't taken possession yet so will assess when we've moved in.
I just read this in the voice of Hank Hill. And I have no idea why.

Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #1108
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingchina View Post
Given it's getting to be fall, anyone have any recommendations for a good patio heater? or are most of the standing brands all about the same?

I am also interested in this.

I’ve done zero research - is it possible to split a natural gas bbq line to a heater?

Alternatively, how long do you get from a typical propane tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #1109
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We have a smallish backyard with a single large pine tree and two dogs. As you would expect, most of the grass in the backyard is now completely dead and we're trying to figure out what's the best thing we can do that doesn't look like total trash (it's currently trash IMO).

Should we just concede defeat and put in hardscaping everywhere (like river rock)? Or would it make sense to try a grass/clover mix in topsoil (why is it so hard to find clover seed?)? I'm kinda at my wits end here and can't believe the thrashing the dogs did to this yard. Totally open to suggestions.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #1110
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
We have a smallish backyard with a single large pine tree and two dogs. As you would expect, most of the grass in the backyard is now completely dead and we're trying to figure out what's the best thing we can do that doesn't look like total trash (it's currently trash IMO).

Should we just concede defeat and put in hardscaping everywhere (like river rock)? Or would it make sense to try a grass/clover mix in topsoil (why is it so hard to find clover seed?)? I'm kinda at my wits end here and can't believe the thrashing the dogs did to this yard. Totally open to suggestions.
A dog run?
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #1111
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post

I like the mix and got clover to grow under my pines. They sell big bags of it at home hardware. White clover.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #1112
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it too late to plant or transplant perennials? I’m in central Alberta.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #1113
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is it too late to plant or transplant perennials? I’m in central Alberta.

I think for most hardy plants it is still OK (maybe I'd wait until later this week if the frost warning applies where you live). I've heard you should avoid fertilizing until spring though since you don't want new growth.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2020, 01:53 PM   #1114
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeking recommendations for landscaping companies. Looking to do several piece-meal custom projects, but not a full re-design
  • Raised planter bed on a gentle slope (hopefully tied into existing sprinkler system)
  • Integrate a fire pit into a retaining wall parallel to deck, and integrate some additional toddler-proofing
  • Possibly design rain protection for BBQ area; maybe an awning/pagoda-type thing that can also extend to a jungle-gym for the adjacent lawn area
  • Driveway basketball hoop installation
  • Maybe explore some integrated patio heating options, but will probably just go with a portable

Won't necessarily proceed with all of these at once, but hoping to get them all quoted
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #1115
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Seeking recommendations for landscaping companies. Looking to do several piece-meal custom projects, but not a full re-design
  • Raised planter bed on a gentle slope (hopefully tied into existing sprinkler system)
  • Integrate a fire pit into a retaining wall parallel to deck, and integrate some additional toddler-proofing
  • Possibly design rain protection for BBQ area; maybe an awning/pagoda-type thing that can also extend to a jungle-gym for the adjacent lawn area
  • Driveway basketball hoop installation
  • Maybe explore some integrated patio heating options, but will probably just go with a portable

Won't necessarily proceed with all of these at once, but hoping to get them all quoted
I had a bunch of work done by Brian Meyers landscaping last year (concrete pavers etc) and was super happy with the work/price. Owner did the quote.

http://www.brianmeyerslandscaping.ca/
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #1116
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry if this isn't exactly a gardening question but taking a shot. We have a corn plant in our office that has grown to the ceiling. The plant is about 25 years old. I've been told I can just cut it off and the piece cut will re-root? Has anyone ever done this, do I put it in water and wait for some roots before putting in soil, or put directly in soil? I don't want to kill it. It's starting to bend because it has nowhere to go. The stalk is very thin.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 02:38 PM   #1117
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I'm sorry if this isn't exactly a gardening question but taking a shot. We have a corn plant in our office that has grown to the ceiling. The plant is about 25 years old. I've been told I can just cut it off and the piece cut will re-root? Has anyone ever done this, do I put it in water and wait for some roots before putting in soil, or put directly in soil? I don't want to kill it. It's starting to bend because it has nowhere to go. The stalk is very thin.
I do this often.

Head down to a nursery/growing store and you can buy some rooting hormone. I use ROOTS, it's by Remo Nutrients. Works well when I want to clone a plant. There are plenty of kinds that all mostly do the same thing.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #1118
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Typically when taking cuttings I just snip them with the sharpest gardening shears I have, 45 degree angle, wrap the wound for the mother plant in saran wrap with an elastic around it, dip the cutting in rooting compound and plant it directly into soil
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 05:33 PM   #1119
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does it matter where I cut?
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #1120
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post

Does it matter where I cut?
Healthier limb the better, I don't think the location really matters. As mentioned above use a really sharp blade before you cut it.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies