Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #61
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I'm actually considering the winter tires this year. Living in the very hilly area of Bankview, and the mileage I log daily, it just makes sense. I'm not overly happy about dropping a grand when I'd rather be saving for a trip, but TBQH, it's hard to go on a trip if you've been f'd up in a car accident... I put on over a hundred km per day of city driving in this wasteland of crappy drivers. Sure my truck will win in an accident with a Honda Civic, but I'm simply not interested in being sidelined.
A few of the comments that are constantly repeated in this these threads have kinda sold me... "If you've never tried them, you don't know"... I've never tried them. If I buy them and they're nothing to write home about, I'm coming here and giving you people an earful.
Awesome. I love when a debate can actually influence people's opinions. You'll love them dude.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #62
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, I'm a huge advocate of winter tires. I think they're honestly money well spent. You can't put a price on extra safety IMO. Plus, it's not like you're throwing away your other tires. It just means your two sets of tires will last almost twice as long instead.

Of course, I understand the reasons why they don't get them (money, storage, hassle, etc.), but if this thread can convince at least one person to switch, then that's one safer car on the road IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 AM   #63
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its hilarious how wound up people get about their winter tires. They're friggin tires, they make a difference but not worth $1000 every 3 years. We get 10 days a year where they'll make a difference. Not worth the reduced gas mileage and constant storing of tires.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #64
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I think its hilarious how wound up people get about their winter tires. They're friggin tires, they make a difference but not worth $1000 every 3 years. We get 10 days a year where they'll make a difference. Not worth the reduced gas mileage and constant storing of tires.
It's attitudes like this that make the whole winter dangerous.

You've obviously never been educated as to the different rubber types. You know winter tires are better on cold pavement too right? For some people who don't drive in the cold except to the grocery store, no worries. But for those that drive to work even, winter tires are a good idea.

I don't wanna hear anyone with "all season tires" aka summers bitching when I pass you in the winter because you think I'm being dangerous. Shut it. Grow some balls, get some winters, and then maybe you can re-take driving lessons, and THEN you can criticise my driving.

If anyone reads this, take this away: EDUCATE yourself before deciding whether or not you need them, don't just rely on old, outdated assumptions. If you don't get winters, you are endangering society.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #65
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Well maybe we know something you don't. I have yet to hear one single person ever regret buying them. And I've never heard anybody that has owned winter tires go back to the dark side and flap about how all seasons are just fine in the winter. Everybody who has winter tires even just one season becomes an advocate for them.

Hopefully they make winter tires a law here so the morons with their POS tires that rear-end people on Deerfoot and F up my commute every single day of winter will be forced to pony up the cash to make us all safer. People who argue against winter tires remind me so much of people who bitched when the seatbelt laws came into effect, or guys that don't think they should have to wear helmets on motorcycles. Nonsense.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:50 PM   #66
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

I have a lifted 4x4 truck with a winch on the front, so I don't need winter tires. My big BFG Mud Terrains are more than sufficient.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #67
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more. It's a lot more than 10 days where they're useful. They're useful for several months. I can't tell you the number of times I've pushed guys out with these all-season radial crap tires. Winter tires are far safer. Isn't your family worth the safety?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #68
an_album_cover
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
You're just being lazy and cheap.

$1000 every 3 years is less than $1 a day. And constant storing? You mean changing your tires out TWICE a year? Is this too much to ask for increased safety?
an_album_cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #69
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
It's attitudes like this that make the whole winter dangerous.

You've obviously never been educated as to the different rubber types. You know winter tires are better on cold pavement too right? For some people who don't drive in the cold except to the grocery store, no worries. But for those that drive to work even, winter tires are a good idea.

I don't wanna hear anyone with "all season tires" aka summers bitching when I pass you in the winter because you think I'm being dangerous. Shut it. Grow some balls, get some winters, and then maybe you can re-take driving lessons, and THEN you can criticise my driving.

If anyone reads this, take this away: EDUCATE yourself before deciding whether or not you need them, don't just rely on old, outdated assumptions. If you don't get winters, you are endangering society.
All seasons aren't summer tires. Maybe its time to step off the soap box for a sec and realize you're going just a tad overboard. I drive the same with or without winter tires. Its called knowing the conditions and not jamming the brakes everytime things get dicey. The prevailing attitude about winter tires is a farce. They don't make any of you better, and if you're stupid enough to slam on the brakes instead of lifting the gas and steering you're going to crash anyhow. I worked at a tire shop for 3 years so I do have some knowledge of the topic at hand.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM   #70
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
All seasons aren't summer tires. Maybe its time to step off the soap box for a sec and realize you're going just a tad overboard. I drive the same with or without winter tires. Its called knowing the conditions and not jamming the brakes everytime things get dicey. The prevailing attitude about winter tires is a farce. They don't make any of you better, and if you're stupid enough to slam on the brakes instead of lifting the gas and steering you're going to crash anyhow.
Good god I hope you don't live by me.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM   #71
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Couldn't disagree more. It's a lot more than 10 days where they're useful. They're useful for several months. I can't tell you the number of times I've pushed guys out with these all-season radial crap tires. Winter tires are far safer. Isn't your family worth the safety?
Edmonton's snow tends to stick around a lot longer than Calgary's
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #72
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I will pile on too.

I probably would not want winter tires as well if I had the magical all-seasons you have that don't wear out while you drive them in the winter.

In reality, the only 'extra' cost of winter tires is the price of a second set of rims (~$200?), and even that should be less as you could probably re-sell them if you no longer need them.

And all these people who don't need them in Calgary... where were you last year?

~firebug
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #73
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
I will pile on too.

I probably would not want winter tires as well if I had the magical all-seasons you have that don't wear out while you drive them in the winter.

In reality, the only 'extra' cost of winter tires is the price of a second set of rims (~$200?), and even that should be less as you could probably re-sell them if you no longer need them.

And all these people who don't need them in Calgary... where were you last year?

~firebug
I was here, it was fine. I drove deerfoot everytime it snowed and guess what? It wasnt people who didnt have winters struggling. It was the people who will struggle because they're ty drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 01:27 PM   #74
MaDMaN_26
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I had a good experience at Tire Pirates (stupid name I know) that is kiddie corner with the Chinook LRT (behind it)... I'm not sure they are for everyone but was a good price and the owner (sierge I think) was a nice guy.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #75
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoken like a person who has never tried winter tires. But then, everyone's an above average driver around here it seems. All I can say is, I'm happy with winter tires, and I will always recommend them to people. You may have all the driving skills in the world, but ice is ice. I laugh at the people who can't go up a small hill because of icy conditions in their all seasons, and I just drive right by them. With winter tires, I have yet to not be able to make it up any hill.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #76
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quick question

Are winter rims really that important? or can you not just use the same rims and have the tires taken off?
HitterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #77
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitterD View Post
Quick question

Are winter rims really that important? or can you not just use the same rims and have the tires taken off?
I just use separate steelies because that way I dont' have to pay $50 a year to get them mounted and balanced. Plus I hear taking them on and off every year isn't good for the tires. I bought the cheapest steelies that could fit my car.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:54 PM   #78
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Spoken like a person who has never tried winter tires. But then, everyone's an above average driver around here it seems. All I can say is, I'm happy with winter tires, and I will always recommend them to people. You may have all the driving skills in the world, but ice is ice. I laugh at the people who can't go up a small hill because of icy conditions in their all seasons, and I just drive right by them. With winter tires, I have yet to not be able to make it up any hill.
Actually I had two sets of them. They were on a RWD V8 Mustang that had summer tires. I just think its a complete waste of money on a FWD or AWD car that has all seasons.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #79
an_album_cover
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I was here, it was fine. I drove deerfoot everytime it snowed and guess what? It wasnt people who didnt have winters struggling. It was the people who will struggle because they're ty drivers.
You're a good driver - so what? There are plenty of those. Sadly, too many of those drivers also think that, because they're "good", that they're also always in control. Sorry, doesn't work that way.

As good as you may be, you also need the proper equipment. Even good drivers get caught in unforeseeable situations. It's at those times when good driving skills coupled with proper equipment can be the difference between a collision and a near miss.
an_album_cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #80
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wait so winter tires will make everyone drive better? Everyone should get them or they're a danger to society? Holy cow guys. Overstate things much?
yads is offline   Reply With Quote