Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2018, 02:11 PM   #141
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
This act of violence obviously exhibits psychotic behavior, the defense will get him into a posh hospital and after 2 years some doctor will say he's "fixed"
That seems like an ideal outcome, albeit without the quotation marks.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #142
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This act of violence obviously exhibits psychotic behavior, the defense will get him into a posh hospital and after 2 years some doctor will say he's "fixed"

What obvious psychotic behavior? What do you think that means?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #143
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for your response - sounds like your head is screwed on right in that respect. I still have no doubt that it is prejudicing the reaction for many people (myself included, though to the other end of the spectrum, where I am probably more willing to forgive/mitigate the blame (while also trying to walk a tightrope that avoids infantilizing FN people from being able to take appropriate responsibility for their actions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post

In my opinion, (and opinion is key here), the kid shouldn't necessarily be out on bail due to the heinous, violent and extremely careless nature of the crime. He could have killed four people in that vehicle, and possibly more if it had collided with another one on the highway after he pulled the trigger. Sure, he's accused and not convicted yet and I'm sure the judge ruled that he's not a danger to the general public, so I'll live with that decision and move on with my life.
Extremely careless seems very likely...I'm not sure we really have any evidence to support heinous? When it comes down to it, the parties involved may not even understand very well what the hell happened; the RCMP have probably pieced things together reasonably well, but I doubt it's crystal clear for them, either. The only thing I'm sure of is that the media and general public know next to nothing other than a bullet ended up in a brain and this kid probably pulled the trigger, and that this is an incredibly effed up situation.

The close-call hypothetical results are very tricky things to deal with when meting out discipline (we see it nearly every night on the ice where a dirty, potentially career-ending hit gets little to no attention, because the recipient happens to get up and skate away). While your hypothetical head-on car crash merits consideration, then it should be considered to the same level on every DUI, distracted, or careless driving case. The close-call rational can also go the other way - if the bullet is an inch or two different then we definitely would not be talking about this anymore (if it ever made the news in the first place).
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:55 PM   #144
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
What obvious psychotic behavior? What do you think that means?
This wasn't hate, greed or revenge. when one has an innocent human being in a cross hair and can pull the trigger I call it a psychotic moment, now all he has to do is claim he saw a werewolf or vampire in that cross hair and "poof" ...not criminally responsible
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #145
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This wasn't hate, greed or revenge. when one has an innocent human being in a cross hair and can pull the trigger I call it a psychotic moment, now all he has to do is claim he saw a werewolf or vampire in that cross hair and "poof" ...not criminally responsible

God. People are sure acting ridiculous with this claim that people are abusing the NCR defence.

How many times do you think that has been employed in it’s history to make you imply this is done with such frequency?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #146
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
God. People are sure acting ridiculous with this claim that people are abusing the NCR defence.

How many times do you think that has been employed in it’s history to make you imply this is done with such frequency?
Quick search shows 8 people with 17 victims in the last 10 years, one case(Guy Turcotte) was appealed and overturned.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #147
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quick search shows 8 people with 17 victims in the last 10 years, one case(Guy Turcotte) was appealed and overturned.

So very rarely. Looks like you might be able to learn something here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 08:23 AM   #148
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Forensic psychiatrists are medical doctors that specialize in their discipline. Without one providing expert diagnosis and evidence for the court there’s no magical “poof” NCR defence.

In the discipline of forensic psychiatry, one of the foremost elements of standardized testing is to look for and screen out people attempting to fake psychiatric illness / symptoms.

Perhaps you would be shocked to learn that most fakers are extremely easily identified by a person with decades of expertise using internationally developed and recognized testing protocols.

But you are apparently not interested in facts that interfere with your invented narrative that NCR is a fake thing routinely used by cunning criminals to avoid being responsible for their crimes.

When the forensic psychiatrist assessment rules out NCR (as it does in many cases), the only “poof” is the disappearance of that issue from any further discussion at trial. And the reality is very many cases never even have an NCR assessment because there is no apparent basis to believe psychiatric issues were happening at the time of the alleged crime.

It would really be of benefit for the criminal justice system for people like you to become educated and informed about what actually happens in the courtrooms across our country...instead of ranting against non-existent boogeymen.

Wait...maybe you are setting up for a fake psychiatric defence to not be held responsible for your posts? That’s brilliant!
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 06:34 PM   #149
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'd really like to hear his response to this.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:52 PM   #150
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So how does that work? Does the court appoint a forensic psychiatrist, or is there a panel? Does the defence provide one?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #151
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dorothy joudrie (sp?) Put several bullets into her ex spouse. Flrtubatately, he did not die.

She Was found not criminally responsible as she was in a "disassociative fugue"

Mrs joudrie served her NCR sentence with weekend passes to Palm springs and eventually returned to society. Rumour is that the family ( Both sides) made the expensive effort to keep her out of regular jail

This kid's family in Morely does not have the bucks to emulate the Joudrie affair.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #152
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
So how does that work? Does the court appoint a forensic psychiatrist, or is there a panel? Does the defence provide one?
Court appoints one. Very common for either side to then get a 2nd opinion by retaining their own.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:32 AM   #153
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I'd really like to hear his response to this.
It's not rocket science nor is it truth as I'm not a doctor, I just have my opinion on people who commit murder and get off in the name of "not criminally responsible" as for the most part a farce.

It might not be right in your world or in many others but in mine and the world of victim's family's I suspect these people should be punished as the murderers they are.

Have you lost a loved one who's killer got a slap on the wrist and re-instated back into your neighborhood with a smirk on his face within 7 years?

I have. and it has haunted me for over f'kin 15 years.

I respect your views but I when I joined this message board I didn't sign on to tow the ultra left wing boo-ho or even the dumb-dumb lawyer's side of the arguments so please respect my views on people who commit murder as I have a personal interest in the subject.

My mind can't be changed.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:01 AM   #154
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Have you lost a loved one who's killer got a slap on the wrist and re-instated back into your neighborhood with a smirk on his face within 7 years?

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I've experienced something similar and it's eaten away at me for 21 years now.

Not every case is going to be decided perfectly and not everyone is going to be satisfied with the outcome. In most of these situations, frankly, there just isn't a satisfactory outcome. An innocent person is dead, or severely injured in this case, and the (alleged) perpetrator will likely get to live a semblance of a normal life at some point. Nevermind all of the people that are associated with the victim who have to suffer also. That sucks.

I'm not a lawyer but I think the justice system is based on a few key principles like 'rule-of-law' and the 'betterment of society as a whole'. When we choose our individual circumstances over those principles it erodes the foundation of our society and eventually threatens to put us back into a life that is likely "nasty, brutish and short". We risk living in an eye-for-eye world. The rule of law allows us to live in relative peace. It's the rule of law that allows us to live our lives and do things like drive our cars with the expectation that if we do something on the road that someone takes offense to that we likely won't get shot.

Quote:
I respect your views but I when I joined this message board I didn't sign on to tow the ultra left wing boo-ho or even the dumb-dumb lawyer's side of the arguments so please respect my views on people who commit murder as I have a personal interest in the subject.
I don't think you do respect those views. You ask people to respect your views and in the same sentence insult them because of their views.

Quote:
I don't think your position is driven by your mind but largely your heart. I get it but that doesn't make it right.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #155
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Man. Imagine the pickle you'd be in if one of your loved ones had schizophrenia. That would wreck your simple little world completely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #156
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am very curious what Snuffleupagus thinks of the Van Zuiden case then. The victims family must be totally outraged and looking for punishment.

I suppose the only real justice is to lock him up.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/dementia-...rial-1.3230637
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #157
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Man. Imagine the pickle you'd be in if one of your loved ones had schizophrenia. That would wreck your simple little world completely.
If you're trying to be funny I didn't laugh

And here's another case of nitwit justice.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:09 PM   #158
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I am very curious what Snuffleupagus thinks of the Van Zuiden case then. The victims family must be totally outraged and looking for punishment.

I suppose the only real justice is to lock him up.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/dementia-...rial-1.3230637
Literally millions of people live with alzheimer's or another form of dementia and never do harm to another human being.

It's simple to me, despite his trouble past as a jewish nazi surviver he still murdered his wife and should pay the price for it.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #159
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I don't think your position is driven by your mind but largely your heart. I get it but that doesn't make it right.
100% correct sir, I don't post on the subject to argue who's right, I just state my opinion.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 PM   #160
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's not rocket science nor is it truth as I'm not a doctor, I just have my opinion on people who commit murder and get off in the name of "not criminally responsible" as for the most part a farce.

It might not be right in your world or in many others but in mine and the world of victim's family's I suspect these people should be punished as the murderers they are.

I pity you.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote