Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #201
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Does sentencing take 4 months normally? Or for them to produce this report for a lenient sentence?

https://calgarysun.com/news/local-ne...est-of-calgary

A sentencing hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 10 and in the interim, defence counsel Balfour Der has asked a report be prepared on his 17-year-old client’s Indigenous background.
That's ####ing disgusting. Honestly, what does the Indigenous Background of the offender have anything to do with sentencing?

This has been used in the past to get a reduced sentence, and I'm always flabbergasted by it. The crime is the crime, if you're convicted, sorry, you get to serve the sentence. I'm sure he'll have the right to parole in about 6 months anyway () the way that things go around here, whether First Nations or not. Our justice system is an interesting one...
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #202
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
That's ####ing disgusting. Honestly, what does the Indigenous Background of the offender have anything to do with sentencing?

This has been used in the past to get a reduced sentence, and I'm always flabbergasted by it. The crime is the crime, if you're convicted, sorry, you get to serve the sentence. I'm sure he'll have the right to parole in about 6 months anyway () the way that things go around here, whether First Nations or not. Our justice system is an interesting one...
It appears that there is also a push to create the same sort of structure for black Canadians. There was a case a little while ago in Toronto where a black offender got a lenient sentence for carrying an illegal handgun and the judge accepted and endorsed arguments that claimed history should play a part in reducing sentencing.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #203
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah I saw that too.

Self-defense is a valid argument for illegally carrying an illegal handgun...

Good to know when I have to wait 2 months for a registration transfer for my competition pistol LOL
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote