Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2020, 02:18 PM   #3401
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Anyone played Black Mountain in Kelowna?
Playing there this coming Saturday.
Punishing to right handed slicers,back nine not much separation between fairways on some holes.Greens have always been perfect.
On a separate note,I witnessed a hole in one on the 7th there.Her dad was along for the ride on his 80th birthday,her daughter worked at the course and had just pulled up to the tee,the marshal witnessed it from the top of the hill and the beer cart met us on the 8th tee.
Beginner.117 yrs with a 7 iron.Landed short and rolled in.She never passes up an opportunity to remind me that I don't have one.Fun day.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FragileMind For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #3402
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Anyone played Black Mountain in Kelowna?
Playing there this coming Saturday.
I like it, it's not the longest but has some nice views and hole design. And it's not expensive too.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darklord700 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #3403
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Agreed, you are almost certainly underestimating it. Factor in distances from green to next tee, and all the zig zagging as you walk a hole and it adds up. For me who can't hit a straight ball there is a lot of extra walking!
I agree that looking for balls and walking to and from the parking lot to the first tee and the end of a round can add distance walked.

In the end I took into account the odd rounds where I used a power cart. Mostly on days where I wanted to play a second 18 holes.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:46 PM   #3404
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Mickelson, and I can’t decide if it was awesome or mediocre. It’s really long, and that’s generally not great for me. It’s a very difficult course though. I hit one shot to the left of the green and it was a bit short. I got the roll on the green, where it managed to find a “slot” and go all the way across and down a hill into the water. Just brutal.

I think it will be a really nice course in a few years, once things grow in and once they have some amenities there. It’s pretty expensive (in my opinion), considering that lack of amenities and it’s just not that picturesque or anything yet. The course itself was in great condition though. The greens were tough, but good and the overall maintenance and such was great. I didn’t spend much time in the traps, but they did appear terrible. A lot of rocks and mud.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:10 AM   #3405
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I volunteer at Mickelson as a Starter usually Sat/Sun mornings and for anyone that has never played the course before I always encourage people to move up on the tees to enjoy your first round out there, then back up on the tees the next round. The course is long and it is a pretty challenging course designed to punish you if you "just miss". Many people appreciate the advice and acknowledge it when I see them come around on 10.

The "Launch Pad" opened on Saturday which is a great addition with a restaurant and the pro shop is moving over there this week from the trailer I heard. The Launch Pad will act as the temporary clubhouse till the main clubhouse is built where the current trailer is located (rumored to be shovels in the ground come spring). The range will be open year round too and will be able to hit the range through the winter in heated stalls "top golf" style off the side of the Launch Pad...but I have no clue what they mean exactly by "top golf" style, probably just ball trackers and if that will be ready for this winter.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #3406
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post
I volunteer at Mickelson as a Starter usually Sat/Sun mornings and for anyone that has never played the course before I always encourage people to move up on the tees to enjoy your first round out there, then back up on the tees the next round. The course is long and it is a pretty challenging course designed to punish you if you "just miss". Many people appreciate the advice and acknowledge it when I see them come around on 10.
From my limited play there the course is designed to punish you on every shot even if you are in the fairway. I mentioned it previously but I don't think I had a flat lie in any shot when I played there. Every time I was in the fairway I was hitting off some sort of slope which was very frustrating.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #3407
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzibradleyizz View Post

The "Launch Pad" opened on Saturday which is a great addition with a restaurant and the pro shop is moving over there this week from the trailer I heard. The Launch Pad will act as the temporary clubhouse till the main clubhouse is built where the current trailer is located (rumored to be shovels in the ground come spring). The range will be open year round too and will be able to hit the range through the winter in heated stalls "top golf" style off the side of the Launch Pad...but I have no clue what they mean exactly by "top golf" style, probably just ball trackers and if that will be ready for this winter.
I think my only issue with the course is that the II tees are like 5500 and the III tees are like 6400 IIRC. A middle ground there would probably help a lot of players.

Otherwise, its a fantastic course and after a few years to grow in it will be one of the top courses in the area.... Assuming Windmill doesn't let it go to ####.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #3408
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think my only issue with the course is that the II tees are like 5500 and the III tees are like 6400 IIRC. A middle ground there would probably help a lot of players.

Otherwise, its a fantastic course and after a few years to grow in it will be one of the top courses in the area.... Assuming Windmill doesn't let it go to ####.
My suggestion, play a combo tee. Alternate between the two sets (white/blue/white/blue/white/blue...) to create a 6000-6100 layout.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #3409
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
From my limited play there the course is designed to punish you on every shot even if you are in the fairway. I mentioned it previously but I don't think I had a flat lie in any shot when I played there. Every time I was in the fairway I was hitting off some sort of slope which was very frustrating.
That's exactly what one of foursome said. He would hit down the middle and end up with the ball above/below his feet. It's difficult for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

One of our foursome played from the TPS at 7400. There is a par 4 that is 528 and a par 5 that is 646 from there. Obviously that is for people who can hit the ball really long to begin with, but that's pretty insane for the average guy. I feel like 528 is a longer par five on most courses, never mind that being a par four. You hit a big drive, say 300 and have another 225 into the green, which you have to hold at that distance, and then make your putts for a par. That's just punishing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 AM   #3410
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
My suggestion, play a combo tee. Alternate between the two sets (white/blue/white/blue/white/blue...) to create a 6000-6100 layout.
Well ya, but if you don't know the course its not exactly easy. For example this course has a 280 yard par 4 from the III tees. When you start mixing up holes without any thought or knowledge of the course you might not exactly get a nicely set up round.

Last edited by Weitz; 10-06-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #3411
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

True, then hand pick the holes that you are going to play up. Set up the game for success and enjoyment, not to punish yourself.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:29 AM   #3412
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
One of our foursome played from the TPS at 7400. There is a par 4 that is 528 and a par 5 that is 646 from there. Obviously that is for people who can hit the ball really long to begin with, but that's pretty insane for the average guy. I feel like 528 is a longer par five on most courses, never mind that being a par four. You hit a big drive, say 300 and have another 225 into the green, which you have to hold at that distance, and then make your putts for a par. That's just punishing.
That reminds me of Schoolmaster at Muscle Shoals in Alabama. Course is over 8,000 yards from the tips. Par fives are 638, 681, 589, and 618, with 5 par fours over 450. Par threes are 238, 265, 226, and 197 (uphill). Courses like this are exhausting to play, and not just because of the yardage. They grind you down as you're always hitting your longest and hardest clubs in your bag to hit. It's fun to do every so often, but it is a long day out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #3413
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

any recommendations for a lady’s driver? She’s got irons already.

Not for me obviously. She’s quite new to golf. Need something forgiving.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:13 AM   #3414
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The tees are set up as follows:

I - 7412
II - 6865
III - 6501
IV - 6031
V - 5512
VI - 4741

The I's don't get used much, but there's usually one twosome in the morning that will play it, but respectfully so as they just crush the ball and can do those long drives. The course is also designed to stretch even further for the PGA Stars when and if that ever happens.

Mostly see people playing from the III's. Pride definitely gets in the way of a lot of people playing from the IV's I feel.

Side note too, if the start is off the back nine for the day...good luck, 10 is painful for your first tee shot of the day lol
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #3415
core_upt
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I played Mickelson a few weeks back from the IVs and it was the right amount of hard (our group are ~18 hcp players). I felt the IVs removed the challenge of distance, since the fairways and especially the greens are hard enough.
Look forward to playing it again, with a little more course knowledge as to how the ball will bounce.
core_upt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:11 PM   #3416
formulate
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Any recommendations on more affordable non-equity memberships? My wife and I are looking to make the jump from 15-20 rounds per year up to 30+ so a membership could make the most sense. We are both 28 so could qualify for some 'young professional' type memberships. Thanks!
formulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #3417
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
Any recommendations on more affordable non-equity memberships? My wife and I are looking to make the jump from 15-20 rounds per year up to 30+ so a membership could make the most sense. We are both 28 so could qualify for some 'young professional' type memberships. Thanks!
I have heard that the Winston Club has a very good young professional membership (https://thewinstongolfclub.com/memberships/#annual-c).
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:29 PM   #3418
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Windmill just sent out an e-mail blast for equity in Bearspaw for $15,900...and if you pay everything up front, they'll give you 15 guest passes for next season!

They must be high. One, that place is never going to regain any of it's former glory while under Windmill. And secondly, you can join Priddis for $20K or Country Hills for less than $10K right now, both of which are vastly superior clubs.

But, I guess it's like asking girls out. 99 times of out 100, you'll get a slap in the face. But that hundredth time is magic!
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:43 PM   #3419
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think buying equity anywhere right now would be silly. Unless you can get an absolute stupid deal. Is there going to be much if any value in any of these clubs in the next 5-10 years? Maybe the big ones like Priddis or Country Hills.
Old 10-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #3420
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulate View Post
Not sure where you are in the city, but if you are in the south then River's Edge in Okotoks has really good membership options.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow