Where’s the pics shin pad.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #462
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
This is where I'm at now. Lots of work yet.

What size are the walls? 2x4?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM   #463
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What size are the walls? 2x4?

2 x 6 @ 16" o/c.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #464
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's full of stuff now. I sold my other place, so I have to store my stuff in the garage until the house is finished. I only did one coat of mud and tape on the drywall - it's good enough for a garage/shop way out in the country.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2019, 02:24 PM   #465
scottyyc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

What a great thread with great pics. Thanks to all
scottyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:38 AM   #466
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

I built the shelving for my garage based on a design provided by Canadianman in this thread (thanks Canadianman). I modified the shelf supports somewhat. The infra red heating unit interfered with the shelving somewhat, so I had to make the top two shelves narrower to ensure that I had at least 8" clearance from the heater. Oh - the chocolate bars are not mine - I never eat them

Last edited by Shin Pad; 07-24-2019 at 08:42 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 05:24 PM   #467
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Garage Fridge!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 09:21 PM   #468
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Well I am taking Fuzzes thread off course, but snagged a second Quikfreze Fridge at a garage sale. A bit of work and she up running. Twins!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 09:34 PM   #469
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I see this thread is full of happiness about summer garage projects. It's apt, because, as they say, the pride comes before the fall.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #470
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I see this thread is full of happiness about summer garage projects. It's apt, because, as they say, the pride comes before the fall.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #471
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I ordered a fire alarm for my garage off Amazon. Apparently my fog machine could set off a smoke detector (so could starting up a car), so I actually went with a heat alarm.

Since I have a Ring Home Alarm, I also bought a smoke detector detector that will alert my phone if the heat alarm goes off.

If you have a spare $25 kicking around, it could be a pretty good investment for you.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #472
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fellas

Any of you built a Carriage House atop a Garage?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #473
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I ordered a fire alarm for my garage off Amazon. Apparently my fog machine could set off a smoke detector (so could starting up a car), so I actually went with a heat alarm.

Since I have a Ring Home Alarm, I also bought a smoke detector detector that will alert my phone if the heat alarm goes off.

If you have a spare $25 kicking around, it could be a pretty good investment for you.

I didn't put any sort of smoke detector or heat detector in my garage. I would be interested in putting in a similar heat alarm to yours. I don't have any alarm/security system on my home as I'm way out in the country, so the police/fire response time would be too long for it to have any affect. As per the Alberta Building Code, I do have smoke detectors in the house that just sound an alarm (they aren't connected to anything like my phone). I would just like the heat detector or smoke detector to alert my phone as the garage is detached from the house.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 01-31-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:02 PM   #474
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't put any sort of smoke detector or heat detector in my garage. I would be interested in putting in a similar heat alarm to yours. I don't have any alarm system on my home as I'm way out in the country, so the police/fire response time would be too long for it to have any affect. I would just like the heat detector or smoke detector to alert my phone as the garage is detached from the house.
Okay, I think you'd need to buy the following:

heat alarm, $25.44. That'll get the alarm beeping if the temperature increases in your garage by 8-degrees per minute and starts beeping at 45 degrees or something.

Then you'll need the Ring Alarm with base station, $269 (or on sale at Best Buy online right now for $239). That gives you a motion sensor and door sensor, keypad and the base station to which everything connects. If you want to set up a home alarm, now would be the time and you should get a bigger set with more sensors like this one.

Finally, you'll need the Ring Alarm Smoke & CO Listener, $49.

You don't need to pay a monthly monitoring fee for any of this. Starting from scratch you're looking at ~$325 to make this happen.

Maybe there's a cheaper way to do this, but since I'm in the Ring ecosystem already, it wasn't expensive to add this protection.

If you're curious about the Ring Alarm, check out my jibber jabbering about it here. It is amazing, cheap, and you can install it all yourself very easily and with no skill in a couple of hours. I have freeze/flood sensors, window sensors, door sensors, motions sensors, cameras, etc. It's sick. I just put an indoor motion activated camera inside my garage, too. If someone goes in there to steal my stuff, I want to see their face so I know who to murder.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 01:40 PM   #475
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

ok Sliver... i just gotta ask... a fog machine?? what for?

..."steamy" bidet videos?
...trying to make a 'burn out' video with the rascal?
...obscuring any video evidence of the murder about to occur in your garage?

i'm just so curious!
Old 01-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #476
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't put any sort of smoke detector or heat detector in my garage. I would be interested in putting in a similar heat alarm to yours. I don't have any alarm/security system on my home as I'm way out in the country, so the police/fire response time would be too long for it to have any affect. As per the Alberta Building Code, I do have smoke detectors in the house that just sound an alarm (they aren't connected to anything like my phone). I would just like the heat detector or smoke detector to alert my phone as the garage is detached from the house.
SmartThings hub with a temp sensor would be the easiest? I have a cheap Xiaomi temp/humidity/pressure sensor in my garage to alert me when the garage hits 1 degC so I can pull the beer that's out there inside.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 07:25 PM   #477
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I think you'd need to buy the following:

heat alarm, $25.44. That'll get the alarm beeping if the temperature increases in your garage by 8-degrees per minute and starts beeping at 45 degrees or something.

Then you'll need the Ring Alarm with base station, $269 (or on sale at Best Buy online right now for $239). That gives you a motion sensor and door sensor, keypad and the base station to which everything connects. If you want to set up a home alarm, now would be the time and you should get a bigger set with more sensors like this one.

Finally, you'll need the Ring Alarm Smoke & CO Listener, $49.

You don't need to pay a monthly monitoring fee for any of this. Starting from scratch you're looking at ~$325 to make this happen.

Maybe there's a cheaper way to do this, but since I'm in the Ring ecosystem already, it wasn't expensive to add this protection.

If you're curious about the Ring Alarm, check out my jibber jabbering about it here. It is amazing, cheap, and you can install it all yourself very easily and with no skill in a couple of hours. I have freeze/flood sensors, window sensors, door sensors, motions sensors, cameras, etc. It's sick. I just put an indoor motion activated camera inside my garage, too. If someone goes in there to steal my stuff, I want to see their face so I know who to murder.

I have a high speed wireless device for protection against intruders - aka a shot gun
Old 01-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #478
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Fellas

As in an apartment?
You need to make sure you thoroughly research bylaws but also about any possible community restrictive covenants.
see link

Laneway housing should be a no-brainer though.
Studio North has done a few really beautiful laneway houses

Last edited by Mass_nerder; 01-31-2020 at 10:50 PM.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 08:17 AM   #479
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Fellas

City of Calgary calls it a backyard suite (I assume your in Calgary).

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/...direct=/suites
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #480
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Oh come ON!

Automatic blinds, a mobility scooter and a Fog Machine?

You're a Bond Villain or a Post-Apocalyptic Mobility Scooter salesman.

Do you have the mobility scooter on a rotating platform and you just hit the remote and the fog machine goes off and the blinds retract and presumably stage lights come on and illuminate your mobility scooter or a bear in a cage in all its glory?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####