Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 PM   #3881
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched the Circle on Netflix, which is a reality show. It has 8 people locked in apartments and they only communicate through chat and profile pages. Its actually a lot of fun to watch. Some of the contestants have chosen to completely invent new persona's for themselves.

Its pretty much a guilty pleasure reality show, but it shows how people will craft themselves and make guesses about people based on social media.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #3882
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Just watched Dont #### with Cats as well. Agree with everything you said, it was hard to watch at times but also quite impressive what those internet people did. Thats an insane amount of time and work put into all that as well. The looking at Google maps for landmarks in a city, and going through thousands of photos to find the exo data.
I liked it but it could have been one episode if they cut every time someone said, “Holy ####!” or explained in great detail simple things like Google Streetview. They weren’t exactly cracking the Enigma Code.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #3883
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I felt like it was trying to tell a fictional story based on a false narrative. We spent how long going through that video for clues that amounted to them potentially linking him to North America based on a vacuum?

And then how did they connect it to Luka Magnotta? A burner account, presumably from Luka himself, through a private message. They really didn't do anything except what Luka wanted, creating an audience. They were being toyed with. The fact the documentary just glosses over the fact that it was some random burner account that did everything shows the narrative they were trying to sell.

Even with the murder video, that they tried to contact Toronto police while at the same time the actual Montreal detectives had already found Magnotta's ID, had video of him dumping the remains, and were searching for him before the internet guys knew it was a Montreal murder.

Instead of trying to make these guys out to be fake detective geniuses, that they had solved anything before the police, I think they could have focused much more on how these guys thought they were trying to find a kitten killer, only to have it become a truly horrifying experience when they realize they were being messed with (and especially how horrifying it would have been for that one lady with the video of her workplace).

I think they touched on it best at the end with the breaking of the fourth wall and should have focused more on that, more on how these guys gave Luka the audience he wanted.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 02:11 PM   #3884
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I quite liked Witcher. I briefly played a bit of the games didn’t know much of the story but at least had a vague idea who most characters were. My wife on the other hand who had zero knowledge of things seemed to grasp the concept better then me and wound up filling me in on a lot. For anyone giving it a try though I feel like your supposed to be confused on who’s who for the first 3 episodes as in later episodes they double back and give you more insight. So for anyone giving it a try I really would recommend pushing through things as in the end I feel like they did a really good job of laying out the entire plot. It just comes up in pieces.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #3885
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Witcher is fun. Got some real TV camera work at times, but on the whole is well done and enjoyable.

Also, Jaskier/Dandelion was my favorite Witcher character in Witcher 1, so

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #3886
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I haven't played any of The Witcher games but I really enjoyed the show.

Why watch Dracula when you could just re-watch both seasons of Castlevania instead?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:54 AM   #3887
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I haven't played any of The Witcher games but I really enjoyed the show.

Why watch Dracula when you could just re-watch both seasons of Castlevania instead?
First of all, I enjoyed Dracula. It could have been better but it was still pretty good.

However I must concede the point because I thought Castlevania was going to be stupid video-game garbage but it was actually thoroughly good.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #3888
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I felt like it was trying to tell a fictional story based on a false narrative. We spent how long going through that video for clues that amounted to them potentially linking him to North America based on a vacuum?

And then how did they connect it to Luka Magnotta? A burner account, presumably from Luka himself, through a private message. They really didn't do anything except what Luka wanted, creating an audience. They were being toyed with. The fact the documentary just glosses over the fact that it was some random burner account that did everything shows the narrative they were trying to sell.

Even with the murder video, that they tried to contact Toronto police while at the same time the actual Montreal detectives had already found Magnotta's ID, had video of him dumping the remains, and were searching for him before the internet guys knew it was a Montreal murder.

Instead of trying to make these guys out to be fake detective geniuses, that they had solved anything before the police, I think they could have focused much more on how these guys thought they were trying to find a kitten killer, only to have it become a truly horrifying experience when they realize they were being messed with (and especially how horrifying it would have been for that one lady with the video of her workplace).

I think they touched on it best at the end with the breaking of the fourth wall and should have focused more on that, more on how these guys gave Luka the audience he wanted.
It gets really good when the group tries to contact the police and the police are like yeah yeah yeah yeah we solved it already, thanks for your time.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #3889
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the draw to Witcher? I feel like I'm missing something. I watched 3 episodes? It seemed like a show that was trying to be serious like GOT but had writers who worked on Xena warrior Princess. The character and region names were making me lol.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #3890
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
What is the draw to Witcher? I feel like I'm missing something. I watched 3 episodes? It seemed like a show that was trying to be serious like GOT but had writers who worked on Xena warrior Princess. The character and region names were making me lol.
There will certainly be some disconnect for those that have not read the books or played the game for sure. I have played the games and enjoyed the show but even I'm surprised it's become as popular as it has with people that are not familiar with the source material. It's nowhere close to GOT quality as it has rough edges and I'm hoping now they have some footing with a successful first season that they can up the budget and improve things in the 2nd season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #3891
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty confused by the assessment that Witcher takes itself seriously. It definitely does not. Caville's dialogue is like 60%

"Hmm"

Quote:
Old 01-08-2020, 10:39 PM   #3892
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished Dracula. Hated the last episode. These new takes on old stories are never that good.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2020, 05:42 PM   #3893
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Pretty confused by the assessment that Witcher takes itself seriously. It definitely does not. Caville's dialogue is like 60%

"Hmm"

lol. That's because the writers were talented to know he's not a good actor. I'd say the worst mainstream actor at the moment.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #3894
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean on the whole, it's much lighter fare than GoT where there was 1 comic relief character for the entire series and he was mostly morose.

Quote:
Old 01-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #3895
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Finished Dracula. Hated the last episode. These new takes on old stories are never that good.
I thought the first two episodes were fantastic and the 3rd episode was a WTF 180 degree turn and not for the better. It wasn't bad enough to dampen my overall enthusiasm for the series and at least things came together at the very end nicely. I actually didn't mine the different take but I felt the last episode was trying to accomplish too much in a short time frame similar to the final season of GOT. The guy they cast as Dracula was one of the better castings for this role.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-11-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #3896
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I had a craving to rewatch Archer. The earlier years were so brilliant.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2020, 11:33 PM   #3897
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Medical Police is the follow-up to Childrens Hospital. It’s just as silly.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #3898
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I thought the first two episodes were fantastic and the 3rd episode was a WTF 180 degree turn and not for the better. It wasn't bad enough to dampen my overall enthusiasm for the series and at least things came together at the very end nicely. I actually didn't mine the different take but I felt the last episode was trying to accomplish too much in a short time frame similar to the final season of GOT. The guy they cast as Dracula was one of the better castings for this role.
The last minute flip of oh it was death I feared the whole time was really bad.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #3899
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
Season 2 of You was absolutely awful.
I'm just 3 episodes into the first season and I'm not sure it I want to commit to this series. I enjoyed the first two episodes as there is a bit of a Dexter vibe to but I find it hard to get invested in a series that's obsessively focused on stereotypical millennials. Three episodes in and I realized that outside of the kid, every single character is extremely unlikeable. As least Dexter murdered murderers and his police buddies were mostly likeable. This guy is a total creep and there's really nothing redeemable about what he's doing. It seems like the rest of the season is probably going to boil down to Joe dealing with Beck's acquaintances that get in the way of their relationship as well as the boy's drunk stepdad with the season ending in Beck disappearing. I'm not sure if that's going to be worth sitting through hours of in your face narcissism.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-16-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:33 PM   #3900
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Season 1 of You was good. There were some decent payoffs.

Season 2 is a mess and lost the spirit of the show really quickly. They ramped up the craziness and the final episode "twist" was the stupidest thing I've seen on TV in a while.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: