Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2020, 12:06 PM   #2421
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post

I would still love to see AEW work something out with NJPW, even though it's a long shot. The cross-promotion would be incredible, and the potential match-ups and rivalries would be endless.

I'm going to say it: Despite all the ties to NJPW in AEW right now we would see a WWE/NJPW partnership before we see an AEW/NJPW partnership. AEW taking so many stars from NJPW as they were starting an American push has spoiled that milk.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #2422
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Is it possible the founding talent is bending over backwards to not book themselves to the top of the card to allow other performers to shine? Maybe they learned some things from several combined lifetimes spent in and around pro wrestling?

Nah. They must be aimless and grasping.

The Bucks have booked themselves ludicrously strong in their matches to the point that they're practically no selling half the time.

I don't know what's going on with KO in his executive role, maybe there's a problem between Omega and the other talent. Its the oldest rule in wrestling, if a guys a threat to take your spot, book him into oblivion.

They really need to get serious on the woman's side, I watched that three way match and it was so sloppy, and not one of them worked well. They seriously need to get a better producer on the woman's side, and no Brandi is not the answer there.

As well as Khan mouthing off and the others, which makes them sound like Bisch circa WCW days, Jericho was spouting off about how the war with NXT is over and they should move. So its a weird marketing plan, which is funny, because really in terms of shows, NXT is great, but its literally the developmental league and third brand for WWE so if that's what AEW is bragging about beating then god bless them, but it makes them look amateur.

And yeah, but the WWE Wrestlemania, and AEW's competing event that I forget the name of were bad, so why brag about it?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #2423
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

AEW pretty much has 50 male wrestlers and 15 wrestlers under contract. That is serious bloat.

WWE Raw

34 men 13 woman

Smackdown

34 men 11 woman

NXT

43 men and 21 woman (A lot of those are still in training classes.

WWE has to fill 8 hours of TV plus monthly PPVs

AEW is what about 3 hours of TV and PPV's

Old 09-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #2424
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

AOP got released today.

Also, Vince banned all wrestling talent from associating with third parties (e.g. Twitch, Cameo). I am sure this is going to piss a lot of wrestlers off. Independent contractors my ass.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:27 PM   #2425
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

AOP just couldn't stay un injured. They were also a pretty colorless monster team. I would assume that AEW will pick them up or Impact. But I never thought that they were all that interesting even at their height in NXT.

Vince's banning of third party associations is very weird.

On another two notes

That matchup with Heymen and Reigns might just be very cool after what I saw tonight. Heyman is probably one of the best promo guys and minds in the business.

The destruction of Banks by Bayley tonight was awesome, and about damn time.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:47 PM   #2426
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
AOP got released today.

Also, Vince banned all wrestling talent from associating with third parties (e.g. Twitch, Cameo). I am sure this is going to piss a lot of wrestlers off. Independent contractors my ass.
So Vince never said twitch or cameo, the article says it presumes that, but I can't see it going through with that

Some of them make a ton of money on twitch, big E is in the actual cameo ads so he must be making a ton

Xavier woods would prolly walk over this and no way they want that

I have to imagine it's not including those or someone is gonna bring the contractor thing to court
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:01 PM   #2427
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think this is more around wrestlers giving away storylines or hanging out with their key rivals on these platforms then the money they make from it.

Yeah and Xavier has created a pretty good empire out of this and he would certainly walk.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:23 PM   #2428
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Tons of other wrestlers making fun of it on social media tonight. I think there's something to it.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #2429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I doubt it does, One thing that Tito bought up is what the WWE is enforcing what is actually written into their contracts.

https://nodq.com/opinions/601286625.shtml

Quote:
The WWE wrestlers need to read the fine print of those "Independent Contractor" contracts that they signed. If you are a WWE wrestler, WWE essentially OWNS YOU for the length of that contract within the public. All media appearances should be cleared by WWE... Your likeness, not just the name but your look, is owned by the WWE and they can control when and where you should appear for the term of the contract.

The more difficult one is Cameo appearances, as many wrestlers are using their WWE trademarked names for personal benefit. Majority of the WWE talent have a stage name that is 100% owned by the WWE. If you appear anywhere as your stage name, WWE should not only approve that ahead of time, but they would receive the majority of the financial benefit. I know that times are tough during COVID, but again, read the fine print of the WWE contract.

Where Vince probably decided to start enforcing this is a lot of the third party content that I've seen of heels and faces playing video games together, other wrestlers talking about booking and their characters and complaining about what Vince is doing with their characters.

So of course he's going to shut it down.

At the end of the day, the WWE wrestlers have the option of not signing contract extensions which might happen, but I doubt that AEW is going to be as active in signings going forward unless they start releasing dudes. Or not signing contracts in the first place.

There's also a reason why wrestlers have talked about unions but never done it, its because even with AEW and Ring of Honor and TNA and Japan there's just not a whole lot of seats for unemployed wrestlers now, and Vince still has a long reach. As well and again I don't think the argument is unionization of the WWE because Vince would probably just terminate contracts for cause. These guys are contractors and not employees, and if there's a problem its with their agents not making sure that the wrestlers understand the terms when they sign.

I do think tho that the WWE has to evolve interms of health care and doing more to help retired wrestlers who are struggling even though they are quietly paying for ex wrestlers to go back to school if they want, and also paying for rehab under the wellness policy, but they can certainly do a lot more for their workers.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 PM   #2430
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess the big thing that actually may have triggered this is that AJ Styles revealed he tested positive for Covid-19 on his twitch stream last night.

And WWE has really been keeping those results private.

So seems like that could have triggered what happened today
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #2431
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
They're starting to buy into their own hype.

Of the Elite, the only one who should be front and center is Omega and he's the only one who is taking a reserved step back like a wrestler with the book should. It's ####ed up.

There's things I don't enjoy about AEW for sure, but this phantom belief that the execs are running roughshod is not one of them.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 09-05-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #2432
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Rhodes is taking time off and the Bucks aren't holding the titles right now. Still on the card, and have been featured on nearly every show weekly.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:22 PM   #2433
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
^Rhodes is taking time off and the Bucks aren't holding the titles right now. Still on the card, and have been featured on nearly every show weekly.

Not just featured, but the central story line. I feel like Moxley and the title are second fiddle. It reminds me of CM Punks year long title reign.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-05-2020, 08:22 PM   #2434
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cody’s TNT title run is a straight copy of Cena doing the US Title run where he defended the title each week.

It’s not the main event, but it’s still the most featured story that gets the most air time week after week.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #2435
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now Marty Jannetty is trying to say his post implying he murdered someone was just a storyline.

Quote:
I DID NOT MURDER THAT MAN!!!

It was just the beginning of a damn wrestling storyline..but OH MY GOD, OMG.. Didn't the WORLD buy it??!! I never knew it could be that easy..I mean, INSIDE EDITION(whom Im a fan of even though they slant/favor democrat), PEOPLE MAGAZINE, TMZ, FOX NEWS, that fake ass National Inquirer,..and ALL MAJOR NEWS OUTLETS WORLD WIDE jumped on this story..it got so hot I had to drop it..when my Columbus, Ga. Police Department got involved, I knew I had to drop it...or as my bruh Snoop Dogg says "drop it like its hot, drop it like its hot" lol..loves ya Snoopy..

I even got pulled outta line at the Atlanta airport headed to Boston..my TSA security brothers mostly laughing and getting autographs n pics kept saying, "we sorry yo, we have to, you're red flagged, you'll be fine though, we gotcha back brother" and they did. Thank y'all my brothers!!

I got calls, texts, messages from Germany, Japan, Australia, England, France, Scotland, Ireland, Africa, Israel and 1 call from Canada..I was like, "WTF is happening right now, holy ####, I didn't even give them the cake yet"..

But..I had to let it go..it got too hot..I mean, I wanted to call the good people at the Columbus Police Department and tell them, "nah nah, don't waste tax payers money nor your valuable time..it was just a wrestling storyline"..but my brother Geno said, "hell no, lay low" Cause they might wanna make the newspapers..very correct, that's why along with my dad, he's my hero..(and my college wrestling coach, Coach Ron Steube) there's yo 3 wise men

But it all comes down to this>>> yo boy MJNDHOUSE still got it..the creator of the long living(28 years now) Barber Shop Window scene, just shook up the WORLD..again!..and I wasn't even finished..as Mr T said, "I gotta ho lotta mo" lol..y'all ain't even seen my 2 piece extra crispy yet..lol..you will

But next to all that, I wanna throw the most sincere heartfelt apologies to my gurrl Winni..the one who got caught up in the trap(and pictured in the original story)..I never knew it would go worldwide miss sweetness..they caught me off too..but Winnie is not a jealous evil woman..I needed that for the story..she's the sweetest thing since my mother..The girl works her ass off as an actress in Toronto, but hit WORLD WIDE on that sh*t..I sorry Winnie..I never meant to hurt you..I'm just stupid sometimes..

Ya know, now looking back, I shoulda done a few things differently..shoulda called the CPD first, and told them what up..shoulda told Winnie..but that ain't how I do it..never have, you can ask around, ask Geno, ask my best friend Curtis M. Burris who actually took me to the airport the day of me sneak attacking Shawn Michaels from out the audience and winning the IC Championship, told him I had to go to some Indy show in Vegas..imagine his shock that night watching Monday Night Raw..lol..

But that's how I do it..maybe old school..BUT IT WORKS, don't it?? When's the last time WWE, AEW hell ANY OF THEM grabbed WORLD WIDE NEWS like that?? Let me answer, NEVER!!

Btw, the rest of the storyline was to be..my friend Darren Kelly, who really was a correction officer, and GREAT wrestler, but disgruntled as hell so walked away from that job..he was to redeem himself by serving justice on me to earn back his stripes..but..in a match stipulated with..if he wins, he takes me in, in peace..if I win, he leave me alone, in peace..but sadly now, we'll not get to do that storyline

Again, sorry Winnie..never meant this #### to get crazy like this..ya already know I gots mad love for ya..it's just this CTE acts up and I dont think straight..plus I'm insane in the membrane..

PS- there is some truth in the original story, that's how you add on and it seems all true..I was 13 buying weed from a gay man(and btw, I loves all my gay people, I just don't float my boat on that side of the river, loves y'all tho') in his car in front of the bowling alley we both worked at..and because a couple other of my teen friends went for the hustle(he'd pay them $40 to bj them) he might have assumed I would to, so in other words, the bag of weed for free..he subtly reach over and touched me down there.."and I said, "nah nah, let's get back to work" we got out and went back to work..and remained friends..he never touch my d*ck & balls again..so we was good
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #2436
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

interesting column from the always good Mr Tito talking about wrestling demographics.

https://nodq.com/opinions/601542754....medium=twitter

Old 09-08-2020, 11:17 PM   #2437
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1303315861218955264
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:12 PM   #2438
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Not just featured, but the central story line. I feel like Moxley and the title are second fiddle. It reminds me of CM Punks year long title reign.
Eh? The featured main event spots during the run-up to All Out usually went to something to do with Jericho/OC or Mox/MJF. Keep in mind that Mox was also off TV for a few weeks earlier in the summer when Renee had COVID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Cody’s TNT title run is a straight copy of Cena doing the US Title run where he defended the title each week.

It’s not the main event, but it’s still the most featured story that gets the most air time week after week.
And they used that storyline to rebuild in Brodie Lee and Dark Order into a much more credible heels, so I don't really have a massive problem with it. I just hope they don't have Cody go over Brodie Lee right away when he gets back. This has been the issue with Dark Order ever since they arrived. They get built up for a few weeks and then get their legs cut out from under them.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2020, 03:17 PM   #2439
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
And they used that storyline to rebuild in Brodie Lee and Dark Order into a much more credible heels, so I don't really have a massive problem with it. I just hope they don't have Cody go over Brodie Lee right away when he gets back. This has been the issue with Dark Order ever since they arrived. They get built up for a few weeks and then get their legs cut out from under them.

So they're even using Brodie Lee to directly copy how WWE booked the Wyatts?! Jesus.

In all seriousness, if Cody doesn't leave for filming this likely doesn't happen.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #2440
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rusev/Miro on AEW kind of a craptacular debut and he looks awful. I guess he's been out of the ring for months now, but I was unimpressed. Almost seems like he'll be working in a non-wrestler capacity.

I also find it strange that all AEWs champions are former WWE guys. I watch Dynamite every week, but it's a struggle. WWE just offers a higher calibre promotion with better athletes and higher production values.

Last edited by trackercowe; 09-09-2020 at 10:07 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote