Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #161
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Read on reddit the opening has been postponed
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 11:07 PM   #162
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Edmonton has already opened theirs. I am feeling a little nervous as the reviews from some of the Canadian locations are not really that positive.

Sometimes things seem to be lost in translating recipes because of ingredient availability and whatnot. Hopefully that won't be the case here.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:20 PM   #163
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Officially opened today according to their Facebook account. Anyone go for lunch?

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #164
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I had to do some shopping so I drove by thinking I might try it, cars were lined up down the block. They were still lined up in the middle of the afternoon when I went home.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #165
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yes just thought I'd try it. A whole block and a half lined up and that's just to get into their parking lot which has another 15 cars lined up. Went across the street to shawarma palace and don't regret it. Best donair in town.

Inside is also zero moving room. Can't believe they even allow that many people in that place. Would think it would be some sort of fire hazard.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #166
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It is pandemonium here, I feel like I'm in line to meet the pope or at Mecca. I guess in a way we are all here to worship at the church...of chicken. It probably won't even be that good but who cares, I wanna be part of history.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #167
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Popeye's Chicken

Pictures of the history!
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 07:00 PM   #168
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

keratosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:20 PM   #169
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so that was fun...the lines were scary but everyone was really patient and happy, chatting with friends and strangers alike about chicken experiences past, present and future. even the staff somehow found time to smile and greet everyone despite wrestling with chaos incarnate.

things moved along quickly, and behind the counter were huge mountains of chicken waiting to be boxed, so this was no rookie operation like my experience at Cluck n Cleaver when they opened. almost everyone was doing takeout, so there was actually seating even though the space isn't very big. behold, Wednesday night dinner:

is it the same as its American counterpart? I don't think I've had enough traditional Popeye's to say for sure, but I think it's close. crispy outside, juicy inside, pretty filling especially when you do the biscuit and skin sandwich. I went with the 4 piece combo (about 12 bucks) and only needed half, so my chicken experience will extend into tomorrow.

this location is too far from my community, I only went because of the grand opening, but supposedly there's plans to spin off several more locations. this, along with the various Korean and boutique options, means that Calgary chicken lovers will be well taken care of in the foreseeable future.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 12:33 AM   #170
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

double post

Last edited by robbie111; 12-22-2016 at 12:36 AM. Reason: double post
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #171
robbie111
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Come to High River for the best damn fried chicken. All chicken comes from the High River colony.

http://www.rockadoodles.ca/

Thanks for heads up Dion. The fried chicken is outstanding and great price as well.

Love the spicing and how tender the chicken was.
robbie111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #172
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Traffic jams along 17th ave because of the grand opening. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.3910106
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:11 AM   #173
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Holy ####! You Calgary people are crazy! You must love fried chicken. New fried chicken place opens...entire city shuts down in mass panic.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #174
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so that was fun...the lines were scary but everyone was really patient and happy, chatting with friends and strangers alike about chicken experiences past, present and future. even the staff somehow found time to smile and greet everyone despite wrestling with chaos incarnate.

things moved along quickly, and behind the counter were huge mountains of chicken waiting to be boxed, so this was no rookie operation like my experience at Cluck n Cleaver when they opened. almost everyone was doing takeout, so there was actually seating even though the space isn't very big. behold, Wednesday night dinner:

is it the same as its American counterpart? I don't think I've had enough traditional Popeye's to say for sure, but I think it's close. crispy outside, juicy inside, pretty filling especially when you do the biscuit and skin sandwich. I went with the 4 piece combo (about 12 bucks) and only needed half, so my chicken experience will extend into tomorrow.

this location is too far from my community, I only went because of the grand opening, but supposedly there's plans to spin off several more locations. this, along with the various Korean and boutique options, means that Calgary chicken lovers will be well taken care of in the foreseeable future.
As a former Popeyes regular customer when lived in the South, that sure looks awfully close if not identical to the real deal stuff i remember.

Havent tried it here yet and likely wont for at least a couple weeks but that picture gives me great hope they didnt mess with the recipe that makes them the best in the biz IMO in a pretty competitive market.

Do they have the biscuits and gravy on the menu up here?
Old 12-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #175
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Finally got a chance to try it.. not as good as Chicken on the Way IMO but still a lot better than KFC, and it's a bit spicy where Chicken on the Way isn't at all.

I also like that they have a good selection different sides, and I like that the coleslaw is pretty big.

EDIT: They had biscuits on the menu, and cajun gravy as well, but I didn't see the two together as an option. They had mashed potatoes and gravy though which I might try, we don't usually have potatoes at home so I usually only get mashed potatoes and gravy during turkey dinner events.

EDIT2: Haha sporks!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #176
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think there is a food I like enough on this planet, that I would stand in line for half an hour, chatting with strangers about past eating experiences, in order to buy some.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #177
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

You horrible, horrible people.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #178
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Do they have the biscuits and gravy on the menu up here?
as Photon says, they are available as extra sides, plus other things like corn on the cob and a couple of different fruit pies. I was super tempted by the pie because the picture reminded me of childhood McDonalds apple pies, but didn't want to use up stomach room on them at the grand opening.

it's amazing how subjective fried chicken preference is. Chicken On The way I find to be a notch above KFC of course, but I haven't gone there in forever because of the Korean alternatives and now Popeyes (which I'd put on a similar tier together). I went with spicy but didn't really find it that noticeable. maybe it's my burnt out tastebuds, though when Fritou does theirs spicy, I can taste the kick.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:33 PM   #179
RW99
First Line Centre

Location: 103 104END 106 109 111 117 122 202 203 207 208 216 217 219 221 222 224 225 313 317 HC G
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Traffic jams along 17th ave because of the grand opening. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.3910106
Quote:
'We are prisoners in our own house'
I think it sucks there is a bunch of traffic there, but I think that is a little dramatic. I'm guessing the line moves at worst every 2-3 minutes and I don't think everyone is refusing to let them leave. I'm sure the traffic will drop soon like it did with Carl's Jr.
RW99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #180
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

You know you're in Canada when the most exciting thing happening in town is the opening of a Popeyes chicken.