Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2020, 06:05 PM   #4521
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Clearly it's not about the writers themselves ...

Has to be the subscription count for the city I would think.
People joined for Kent Wilson.

When he left, a lot of people cancelled.

In my opinion.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #4522
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Johnny+Monahan for Barzal would be something I would be interested in. We are giving up more talent but getting the youngest player with the highest ceiling and would give the flames 2 cornerstone building blocks in Barzal and Tkachuk.

I don’t think the Islanders can make the cap work anyway
Barzal is very good, but watching him this year in the playoffs, he reminded me a lot of Johnny (although a little faster, and a little bigger). Seemed hesitant to go into the tougher areas and got pushed around a lot. I haven't watched him play much outside of that, so maybe he was injured and trying to avoid further injury?

I don't think he's so much better than Johnny that he would cost you Monahan as well (from a pure value perspective), and the age gap doesn't add enough to balance the equation.
Even if we were willing to do that trade, I can't see why the Islanders would (and it has nothing to do with cap concerns).
Old 12-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #4523
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

In my opinion.
I couldn’t stand Kent Wilson’s articles but I am not a big advanced stats guy. I think Haynes was the draw for a lot of people (he was for me). I am not on there for strictly the Flames content as I like to read about the Raiders, NBA, NFL, NHL and fantasy football. I do need the Flames coverage to increase if I am going to stick around long term though
Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 AM   #4524
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

In my opinion.
Quite honestly, Kent Wilson isn't a very good writer. He was really good on twitter showing advance stats and interesting player comparables and he was good at digging up some interesting advanced stats for articles, but he couldn't turn those interesting pieces of information into an actual story.

His intros would often pose questions that his articles wouldn't answer.

His articles were basically just a listing of stats and facts with no real analysis or storytelling ability.

I much prefer him on twitter where he can be straight to the point with his advanced stats to reading a 1000 word article that doesn't even give me the answer to the question that I started reading to find out.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 09:20 AM   #4525
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In my opinion.
Kent Wilson has fans?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #4526
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

In my opinion.
I joined for Duhatschek. I enjoy though provoking articles.

I hardly get a chance to read it though. I'm probably going to cancel.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #4527
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

In my opinion.
I actually was going to cancel until he left.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #4528
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just need to hire Francis
Old 12-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #4529
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is worse than a regular summer/ offseason by a large amount. These are the times of year when Hockey is supposed to be a welcome distraction.

ugh.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #4530
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

(It’s Eklund)

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/R...Buzz1/1/108559

“On Johnny Gaudreau...

I am really surprised we aren't hearing more Gaudreau rumors right now in other media outlets, because I am hearing quite a bit, with one source telling me "The Flames have to move him this year, preferably before the return to play."

There are as many as six teams out there who have talked to Calgary...and yes Philly is one of them, however I am not getting any sense that the Flyers are the favorite in this...There are two teams that I keep hearing more and more....The Islanders and Canadiens....Both teams would need to clear space and or make some very tough calls...But both teams have a ton of interest...”
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 11:25 AM   #4531
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Does anyone know how the cancel subscription option works?

Instantaneous or does it keep you active for the period you already paid for? Would rather just hit cancel and then have it go away in June than forget and get billed again.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #4532
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Does anyone know how the cancel subscription option works?

Instantaneous or does it keep you active for the period you already paid for? Would rather just hit cancel and then have it go away in June than forget and get billed again.
For me it stayed active for the period I already paid for.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #4533
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
(It’s Eklund)

https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/R...Buzz1/1/108559

“On Johnny Gaudreau...

I am really surprised we aren't hearing more Gaudreau rumors right now in other media outlets, because I am hearing quite a bit, with one source telling me "The Flames have to move him this year, preferably before the return to play."

There are as many as six teams out there who have talked to Calgary...and yes Philly is one of them, however I am not getting any sense that the Flyers are the favorite in this...There are two teams that I keep hearing more and more....The Islanders and Canadiens....Both teams would need to clear space and or make some very tough calls...But both teams have a ton of interest...”
Lol he probably read the tumbleweed post and thought this was a good opportunity to drum up some traffic. His servers must have cobwebs on them by now.

The Edmonton rumor is better: Fleury to Edm with a goalie + going back. Not that I think Koskinen is going to be any good, but it would be pretty funny to see them flip him to Vegas and ride with two old guys held together with tape.

The Johnny rumor, asides from being impossibly vague and not actually a real rumor, is also puzzling. Montreal doesn't need any wingers and the Islanders are in literal cap hell already.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:34 PM   #4534
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
For me it stayed active for the period I already paid for.
Same, I paid for the year and recently cancelled - its good up to the year end date.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:44 PM   #4535
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol he probably read the tumbleweed post and thought this was a good opportunity to drum up some traffic. His servers must have cobwebs on them by now.

The Edmonton rumor is better: Fleury to Edm with a goalie + going back. Not that I think Koskinen is going to be any good, but it would be pretty funny to see them flip him to Vegas and ride with two old guys held together with tape.

The Johnny rumor, asides from being impossibly vague and not actually a real rumor, is also puzzling. Montreal doesn't need any wingers and the Islanders are in literal cap hell already.
The Habs make zero sense but if Barzal and the Isle are far apart I would be ok with JG+ for him.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #4536
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would think the Islanders would want Johnny to play with Barzal but I don’t really like anything on their roster. Habs do not really have anything either unless they wanted to trade Kotkaniemi + for Gaudreau?
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #4537
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the NYI are looking at Gaudreau the pieces I'd be most interested in are Beauvillier and Dobson.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #4538
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with the habs purely for a prospect like Kotka is that they are also now pushing up against the cap. They would have to unload some salary to make it work. I am not sure if it really benefits them at all... They have Tatar, Toffoli, and Drouin already at LW. I think Drouin+Kotka makes the most sense, but that actually does seem like it might be too rich for the habs to really seriously consider.

The Isles are also pretty loaded at wing, and targeting Barzal makes them paper thin at centre. I don't see how it works. Unless it's a bigger deal where Monahan+Johnny are both going. Maybe Barzal+Eberle comes back?

Neither seems realistic at all. Typical Eklund, but it was nice to engage, albeit briefly, with hockey trade talk.

Edit: post came in after I posted, but Dobson+Beauvillier does not leave them with enough cap space for Johnny.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #4539
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Edit: post came in after I posted, but Dobson+Beauvillier does not leave them with enough cap space for Johnny.
For sure, just stating those are the two pieces I'd be interested in.

In terms of making the cap work Flames would have to take one of Clutterbuck or Cizikas back too I think.

Gets you a little close from a cap perspective, but I don't really see how Gaudreau makes sense for the Islanders to be honest.

They already have 12 forwards signed for $48M, and that's before signing Barzal, if anything they could use a d-man at this point.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:28 PM   #4540
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact Barzal isn't signed yet is a flag for me. Uncle Lou may drive Barzal put of town purely through negotiation.

And in that aspect, I can certainly see the Islanders take on Johnny.

I also have a tin foil hat theory that if an all Canadian division were to go down, Johnny wants no part of being away from family for a season. Given that travel for them would be unlikely.
Closed Thread