Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2023, 08:38 AM   #701
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Vegas is different once they get into the zone for sure - they cycle a lot more. But like Sutter, they place a premium on getting the puck out of the zone, dogging the puck had up ice, etc. I think they play “faster” because they just are faster. Frankly, I don’t think their zone exits are very clean at all - they tend to muscle the puck out of the zone as best they can and then try to regain the puck.

EDIT: Carolina gave the Panthers the same issues as Vegas, but they don’t have the same kind of finish, so Bob stopped them.
Their offense went cold, and Bob got hot. Otherwise Carolina was the better team. Play that series 10 times and I bet Carolina wins 7 or 8 of them.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 08:39 AM   #702
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay Huska, please be a high quality NHL head coach that wins, develops young players well, is smart on the bench in games and has longevity.

We've been waiting a long fricken time for one of those. We're due.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 09:11 AM   #703
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would say, Vegas is much stronger and skilled team than Flames.
Florida outskated and outworked Boston and Toronto, and dominated in physical game against Carolina. But Vegas is much bigger than Carolina, much deeper than Toronto, and more or at least same skilled like Boston.
Flames? they are smaller team. We have some skilled players but they not good enough for some areas. They may make playoffs, but I don't see any success after that with current roster.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:49 AM   #704
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Their offense went cold, and Bob got hot. Otherwise Carolina was the better team. Play that series 10 times and I bet Carolina wins 7 or 8 of them.
This is what I'm saying - they had a similar game to Vegas, except they didn't score (which was IMO a combination of Bob and a lack of a hot Marchessault or Eichel or Barbashev). Bob's still been pretty good against Vegas, otherwise the series would be over.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:50 AM   #705
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Vegas is different once they get into the zone for sure - they cycle a lot more. But like Sutter, they place a premium on getting the puck out of the zone, dogging the puck had up ice, etc. I think they play “faster” because they just are faster. Frankly, I don’t think their zone exits are very clean at all - they tend to muscle the puck out of the zone as best they can and then try to regain the puck.

EDIT: Carolina gave the Panthers the same issues as Vegas, but they don’t have the same kind of finish, so Bob stopped them.
Bolded for truth.

I also don't think Carolina is as fast as Vegas. Carolina would be similar to us. Some fast guys but play a fast style.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 09:53 AM   #706
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Bolded for truth.

I also don't think Carolina is as fast as Vegas. Carolina would be similar to us. Some fast guys but play a fast style.
Hopefully the kids are inserted to improve team speed a bit. You can teach skating but only if players have the work ethic to keep up the habits post lessons (like Point).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #707
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huska will probably be put in an uncomfortable position of having to get rid of some or all of his fellow assistant coaches from last year. Guessing this situation doesn’t come up very often since most new head coaches are from outside the organization.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:32 AM   #708
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Huska will probably be put in an uncomfortable position of having to get rid of some or all of his fellow assistant coaches from last year. Guessing this situation doesn’t come up very often since most new head coaches are from outside the organization.
There’s no need to “get rid of”, as of July 1st the Flames have zero coaching staff under contract outside of Ryan Huska.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 11:08 AM   #709
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess the big question is how Huska going to adapt if things don’t go well

Sutter and Gulutzan kept doing the same #### when things go bad
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #710
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1668669526341472262

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 11:35 AM   #711
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

Ah the good old days of "Fatmus Sanwichsson" when he first got drafted. Good to hear that Huska was an integral part of turning him into a great pro, Andersson always had the tools but his fitness was the question mark back then.

Stories like this fill me with more confidence in Huska, I feel that the new wave of young guys will benefit from having him as their coach. Hopefully Huska can also get the best out of the veterans, that's what I'm looking forward to seeing now.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 11:55 AM   #712
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
{snip}

What I didn’t like from the presser was the following:

1. Just make the playoffs. Personally goals should be higher than this but I get it. Anything can happen when you get in and Darryl said the same types of things. The 04 team and LA King championships are prime examples of this so I can live with these types of statements.

2. Player Input - seems like Conroy spent a lot of time starting with Huberdeau and then Lindholm to get their input on the coach. I don’t like the type of control this group seems to have especially with how things ended last year and multiple people saying they wouldn’t come back if Darryl was around. Sure their input is necessary but I wouldn’t necessarily cater to their demands. Players play, coaches coach and management makes personnel decisions.

{snip}
Re #1: If you don't make the POs...nothing else happens. You can set (internally) higher goals if you like...but if you don't set the bar at getting "in"....you're not going to even do that. Like the Flames last year. The GAF meter has to be reasonably high, even when playing crap teams like CBJ was. Flames' GAF wasn't high...they preferred to party and pout.

Re #2: Input is fine, but I'm not sure the players have "control". The problem with the Big 3 New Players are that they have Big Contracts and are Big Unmovable (more or less). So, hiring a coach they'll hate as much as Darryl is probably a fairly stupid move and Conny ain't that.

OTOH, I'm pretty sure that Conroy knows that he has to make the most of those guys for at least a few years, so he has to "somewhat cater" to them...without doing so explicitly. After a few years, they may be tradeable. Or they may, indeed and hopefully, have won something significant. (Wishful thinking!)
Old 06-13-2023, 01:34 PM   #713
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just listened to the press conference. I'm pretty excited. I'd say that between 2000-2023, this is the coaching hire (outside of Sutter x2) that I've been most happy with.

Huska is an intelligent person, thoughtful, empathetic, and has strong leadership attributes. He's has confidence instead of ego (which was the issue with Gully and Peters). You can see it in the way he speaks, his mannerisms and thoughts. Everything about the way he carries himself and communicates his vision is miles ahead of any Treliving coaching hires (outside of Sutter).

I'm sold on this guy through and through.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 01:55 PM   #714
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/supe...im/c-344851388

Quote:
"I've seen some comments on Twitter and stuff that people think he's just a nice guy," Andersson said. "Understand me right now: He can be the nice guy and he can yell when the team needs to be yelled at. He has both sides of it. I think that's so key for a coach these days to have both sides of the coin - to not just be the 'nice guy' and not just be yelling at guys all the time. He really does have both of it.
Quote:
"If I know Husk, he wants us to not give up as many high-danger chances, be creative in the offensive zone, get a lot of movement, create chaos and hang onto pucks," Andersson said. "We want to be a good puck team because we definitely have the players to do it.

"Honestly... Connie's the new GM, Husk is the new coach. There's so many moving parts and I feel like ever since yesterday, you get that excitement back. The first few weeks of the summer, you try to let go of the season. But now you get that excitement back and especially with me knowing Husk that well, I know he's a really good coach.

"I know he'll give confidence to each and every player in that dressing room next year."
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:00 PM   #715
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"If I know Husk, he wants us to not give up as many high-danger chances, be creative in the offensive zone, get a lot of movement, create chaos and hang onto pucks," Andersson said. "We want to be a good puck team because we definitely have the players to do it.
Movement and hanging on to pucks sounds great to me. Too often the team was too static in the offensive zone, and also would take too many bad shots instead of hanging on a second longer to try to make a pass.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:14 PM   #716
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Movement and hanging on to pucks sounds great to me. Too often the team was too static in the offensive zone, and also would take too many bad shots instead of hanging on a second longer to try to make a pass.
Yeah pretty much what he was saying yesterday not that we would be playing a copy cat style.

A big change from just pumping as many shots regardless of quality on net.

The movement part is huge as well it was just so stale, we need more guys moving around and creating lanes and screens, defenseman holding pucks to make that extra move or just jumping into create some more chaos.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:15 PM   #717
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know Love was the sexy new pick for some fans on here, and he has some valuable coaching skills for sure. BUT every time I watched the Wranglers play, all end of season and playoffs, the defence played like trash positionally. Just bleeding high danger chances right up the middle of the slot. I legitimately believe that the Wranglers were carried by a historic season from Wolf and a skilled offensive group. Excited for Huska and hope Love sticks around as well.
Kipper_3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2023, 02:15 PM   #718
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers

Conroy said he understood the need for a coach that can push buttons. From Anderson's comments it sounds like Huska has a balanced approach. We need everyone going if we are going to win the division!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 02:23 PM   #719
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what I'm saying - they had a similar game to Vegas, except they didn't score (which was IMO a combination of Bob and a lack of a hot Marchessault or Eichel or Barbashev). Bob's still been pretty good against Vegas, otherwise the series would be over.

IMHO, they are tailing the series 3-1, when they lose tonight, they lost the series 4-1. So what the difference is a 4-0 swept and a 4-1 lost? They won that one game because Vegas left Tkachuk all alone in the slot. Even if Bob is the one that won that game, he hasn't been good against Vegas.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:49 PM   #720
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Conroy said he understood the need for a coach that can push buttons. From Anderson's comments it sounds like Huska has a balanced approach. We need everyone going if we are going to win the division!
Win the division? I'd just like to make the playoffs man
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post: