Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 08:15 AM   #1701
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Wrong.

I would be dangling that pick for only Yaroslav Aaskarov.
If Aaskarov is their #1 target , wonder if fitz would finally put Mercer in a trade.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 08:47 AM   #1702
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I think there are upwards of 5 teams that will be looking for a goalie this offseason. On the high end (which would be best for the Flames) the Avs and Hurricanes will be looking for a strong veteran that they think can win them a Stanley Cup. The Flames and the Bruins are their best options for trading partners. The Sens I think will be looking for a goalie, their current management group had nothing to do with signing Korpisalo. They probably have had their fill of mediocre veteran goalies as they have tried that route for 3 years. Suspect the Kings and the Devils may be more open to trying a Stolarz route. Either way I think there will be 3-5 teams that Conroy can use to bid up the price on Markstrom.

Ottawa management already hinted that they aren't doing anything with their goalie situation. They expect more out of them but it was Korpi's first year under contract, I think he gets another year at least. Carolina is always looking to cheap out and Colorado already won with Kuemper who wasn't that great for them. They'll probably settle for 1b type options instead of paying a big price.

I think the two teams that would seriously consider Markstrom are the Devils and the Kings. I don't see a huge market of teams that are willing to pay a big price for a goalie.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:18 AM   #1703
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toronto only has Woll under contract for next year.

Georgiev has a lot riding on this years playoffs; Colorado could be in the market
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:19 AM   #1704
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can't see Boston trading Ullmark to Toronto, but I'm sure Brad would love markstrom. Could be a good option, especially at the draft depending on who is there with their pick
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:25 AM   #1705
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still don't see many teams giving a lot for a goalie. They are like running backs in the NFL, or a system QB teams want to pick up on the cheap hoping being surrounded by elite talent and system will get them over the hump.

Look at LA taking our tandem that got blown in the covid bubble and finished 3rd in goals against.

Carolina had a bunch of random goalies and finished 4th in goals against.

Boston used a duo.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 AM   #1706
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Darcy Kuemper got the equivalent of a former late first, a first round pick and a third round pick. I suspect the market for Markstrom is something similar. If they eat a bunch of salary his cap hit would be significantly lower than Kuemper’s was both as a total number and a percentage of cap. I think Kuemper is probably the best comparable.
He was also 3 years younger and had 1 year left on his deal.

I think age plays a factor for Markstrom. I go back to the Mike Smith package. If someone is offering up a Kuemper offer, it is an overpay and you take it and run.
Old 04-23-2024, 09:28 AM   #1707
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I still don't see many teams giving a lot for a goalie. They are like running backs in the NFL, or a system QB teams want to pick up on the cheap hoping being surrounded by elite talent and system will get them over the hump.

Look at LA taking our tandem that got blown in the covid bubble and finished 3rd in goals against.

Boston used a duo.
Since it is a copy cate league, we just need someone that has invested in a number one goalie (a team like the Jets) to win the cup.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:33 AM   #1708
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Boston used a duo.

The biggest example is obviously Vegas winning it all with Hill. I'm always baffled by these teams that play horrible defense and then are surprised to see that their average starter who's getting paid 3-4 million isn't able to bail them out. There are very few goaltenders in the league who can handle that kind of pressure night after night. The way GMs think about goalies is generally archaic.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:35 AM   #1709
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Since it is a copy cate league, we just need someone that has invested in a number one goalie (a team like the Jets) to win the cup.
I think we have better options. Florida, Tampa, Rangers, Stars
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:07 AM   #1710
Cortez
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think Florida winning would help more.

"If they can win with a 10 mil goalie then surely we can win with a 6"
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 AM   #1711
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Charles Barkley offered to play goalie for Utah and said he'd do it on the cheap. So there's another name on the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:37 AM   #1712
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Markstrom's best return was going to be when NJ was desperate for a goalie. We will see but I am guessing he gets a 2nd that can turn into a 1st basis success metrics
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:38 AM   #1713
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^^ Not sure if I want a guy called the Round Mound of Rebound in net.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:44 AM   #1714
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 10:53 AM   #1715
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was also 3 years younger and had 1 year left on his deal.

I think age plays a factor for Markstrom. I go back to the Mike Smith package. If someone is offering up a Kuemper offer, it is an overpay and you take it and run.
If the Avs get bounced in the first round again I could see the Flames getting a haul from them if they took on a bunch of salary. The Avs (once you put Landeskog on the LTIR) currently have 17 million bucks to sign 10 or 11 players (including Mittelstsdt, Walker and a 8 more players that would all be replacement level guys with the salary room they would have left). If the Flames took one year of Georgiev and 3 years of Girard off their hands and ate 3 million of Markstrom that would give the Avs another 5.4 million to spend this offseason. Doubt there is a goalie that compares with Markstrom that the Avs can get for 3 million. Not sure the Avs want to have one of the best forwards in hockey and the best dman and be first round fodder each year.

I would think for that package Conroy could get a kings ransom. Ritchie and the 2024 1st would likely be the starting point, with the Avs having to likely add because the two roster players they would be giving up have negative value. Sometimes these teams (like Tampa) look at the holes in their lineup and overpay for good cheap options so that they can win a Cup. A deal like that secures their goaltending and probably allows them to a bigger, much better, more physical dman than Girard for the money they save on moving him out.

If the Avs were looking for a deal that shipped out significant salary the Flames are the only team that could accommodate that has a number one goalie.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:01 AM   #1716
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would think for that package Conroy could get a kings ransom. Ritchie and the 2024 1st would likely be the starting point
Avs need cheap players to supplement their core. No way they trade Rithcie for an old goalie in Markstrom. I also don't see the Flames eating two bad contracts and retaining 50%.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:09 AM   #1717
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is retaining 3 million for 2 years, plus taking back term with negative value something they want all to get a 1st and prospect?

If we have to do all that to trade him, it might make sense to get a 2nd or 3rd and prospect for him at 25% retained.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:02 PM   #1718
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I also don't see the Flames eating two bad contracts and retaining 50%.
A rebuilding team might. A retooling team? No way.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:19 PM   #1719
Lewis_D
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Could LA be a potential suitor for Markstrom? They need an improvement in net (clearly not their only issue though), they already have big save Dave so there's a potential tandem with a history there.

Just not sure what they could offer in terms of futures outside of picks. Deal breaker could be that they have a handful of liabilities that I wouldn't want to take on in return.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:29 PM   #1720
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
A rebuilding team might. A retooling team? No way.
Conroy has made zero trades so far that indicate he is retooling. He might say he is but it is pretty clearly a rebuild right now. The only retool players he took back in any of his trades were a 25 year old winger (but I think the Toffoli trade was made under different circumstances) and a 28 year old winger that he took on so he could preserve his space to eat salary (which he subsequently did on 2 other deals). Every other piece that he picked up was a rebuilding piece and not a retooling piece. All outside indications seem to be that this is a rebuild.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good