Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #421
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
If you are an Athletic subscriber I recommend this article. It's basically Martin and Maile talking about the niceties of catching.

https://theathletic.com/265182/2018/...e-strike-zone/

You would be surprised how many times on an 0-2 pitch with the catcher setting up with his inside shoulder on the outside corner - and the pitch hitting him in middle of the chest (so like 3-4 inches off the plate outside) it is called a strike... a lot of umpires get comfortable where they set up behind the catcher and will follow him outside ...so when the pitch hits him in the middle of his body it must be across the plate... this works in college and less so but still works in pro...
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #422
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Hopefully nothing serious.

Mike Wilner@Wilnerness590

Josh Donaldson left the game after drawing a walk in bot1. Been dealing with a sore shoulder all spring, took Victor Reyes’ chopper in top1 but didn’t/couldn’t make a strong enough throw to get the runner. #Bluejays #Jays
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #423
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Hopefully nothing serious.

Mike Wilner@Wilnerness590

Josh Donaldson left the game after drawing a walk in bot1. Been dealing with a sore shoulder all spring, took Victor Reyes’ chopper in top1 but didn’t/couldn’t make a strong enough throw to get the runner. #Bluejays #Jays
During the game Gibbons was doing a TV interview, said JD was feeling dehydrated, nothing to do with shoulder.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #424
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really wish the Jays had left a spot or two for a young player. I would have been fine with that 4th outfielder spot being a platoon of young guys going up and down. Hell, I would have been fine with two of Smith, Hernandez and Alford playing left field.

I guess the Jays think they might compete this year I don't know. Really wish we would roll with a little more youth on these down years.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #425
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ironically, playing a prospect or two would probably do more to get fans excited and buying tickets than pretending they have a roster that can realistically compete for a playoff spot.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #426
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can see Pearce or Morales getting dealt and Alford coming up...
Old 03-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #427
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alford will play his way on to the team by May, and he will stay for a long time.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #428
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
I can see Pearce or Morales getting dealt and Alford coming up...
Pearce maybe, but no one is taking Morales contract. He just cripples your ability to use your bench or put guys at DH who need a day off or rehabbing from an injury. He’s a coaches nightmare. He can be DH and that’s it. No team would want that third year on his contract.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #429
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is always injuries that will get these guys into the line up.

Also, if the Jays don't compete for a wild card spot like we are hoping, they have some very movable pieces that are going to be UFA.

JD, Happ, Estrada, Pearce and Granderson. Could get some nice returns for those players I would think. Nothing franchise altering, but the FO managed to snag Pannone for Smith and Hernandez for Liriano last year.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #430
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Jon Morosi reported this morning that Tulo won't be ready for the beginning of the season but should be good to go "before April is over"...

Also Alford out today with hamstring issues...
Old 03-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #431
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't mind the Granderson signing, wanted him years ago but it makes little sense with Pearce there.

I would move on from Tulo, Pearce and Morales right now. Cannot see any of them having any meaningful impact on this team this year.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #432
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I don't mind the Granderson signing, wanted him years ago but it makes little sense with Pearce there.

I would move on from Tulo, Pearce and Morales right now. Cannot see any of them having any meaningful impact on this team this year.
Pearce doesn't cost very much and he murders lefties. He's a valuable bench bat if nothing else.

As for Tulo and Morales... if you can snap your fingers and make $35,000,000.00 in poorly allocated payroll disappear then you're in the wrong line of work my friend.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #433
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Pearce doesn't cost very much and he murders lefties. He's a valuable bench bat if nothing else.

As for Tulo and Morales... if you can snap your fingers and make $35,000,000.00 in poorly allocated payroll disappear then you're in the wrong line of work my friend.
Wasn't saying it was going to happen and the Jays are definitely on the hook for the salary just that I don't won't those guys anywhere near the roster. Give them a paid vacation it's not like their replacements will cost much. Might as well get youngs guys playing time for all that they will deliver.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #434
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If he's healthy I'm taking Tulo as my shortstop everyday of the week - guys still a stud and hands down the ultimate leader on that team...

Again if he's healthy and this team has a chance for a wildcard he will be a big reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to BOSSY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #435
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSY View Post
If he's healthy I'm taking Tulo as my shortstop everyday of the week - guys still a stud and hands down the ultimate leader on that team...

Again if he's healthy and this team has a chance for a wildcard he will be a big reason.
That's not a thing.(At least with Tulo)
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2018, 02:16 PM   #436
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sad but true ...
Old 03-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #437
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well crud... there goes some pitching depth.

https://www.mlb.com/bluejays/news/to...ed/c-268906022
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:55 PM   #438
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pannone took a polygraph and passed with really high scores apparently. If he really didn't knowingly take a banned substance what a nightmare this has to be for him.

Also, Alford out 3-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. Injuries are so frustrating. Especially to young up and comers with tons of potential.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #439
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Pannone took a polygraph and passed with really high scores apparently. If he really didn't knowingly take a banned substance what a nightmare this has to be for him.

Also, Alford out 3-6 weeks with a hamstring injury. Injuries are so frustrating. Especially to young up and comers with tons of potential.
Baseball's so frustrating that way. I get that every sport has them, but there's just something so annoying about the way they happen and how long they last in baseball.

Like a star can just turn the wrong way reaching for a ball on what looks like a nothing play, wince, walk to the dugout and that's it for 3 months.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #440
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

JA Happ will be the opening day starter.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote