Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2017, 10:54 AM   #21
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Why? Because they're wealthy? Young? Seems petty.

I would hate to be in that situation. From all accounts it really does sound pretty horrible. What a completely disaster.
What? Ha no, I hope horrible things happen to them and they all learn a valuable lesson. They deserve it. Being young and having disposable income? Spending it on what should be a fun experience? They're fiscally irresponsible and that money should at the very least be in a 401k. These stupid asses deserve everything that happens and worse. Worthless sons of bitches.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #22
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of sounds like a typical Sunwing vacation.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #23
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, anyone who would pay through the nose for something called "curated tented accommodation" pretty much deserves to get ripped off.

Quote:
Nathan Martin‏
@NathanMartin

Millenials: Nobody can pull off a con like Donald Trump!
Ja Rule: Hold my beer. #fyrefestival
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is it's a case of massive incompetence rather than an elaborate scam. Very likely Ja Rule and his buddies thought organizing a festival was easy. Book some bands, get someone to sell food and booze, let the party happen.

Possibly they knew some local guy who told them he can make it all happen if they just give him all the money.

Not the first time I've read about such disastrous festival fails.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with ripping off rich kids is they have rich parents. I'm sure a few of them will be unimpressed enough to sue the organizers into oblivion.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone send Danny McBride down there so that he can instill order and rule over the post-apocalyptic wasteland that emerges.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:39 AM   #27
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Why? Because they're wealthy? Young? Seems petty.

I would hate to be in that situation. From all accounts it really does sound pretty horrible. What a completely disaster.
I'm sure it is a terrible situation. Honestly it sounds like life in any number of refugee camps around the world. The difference is these kids will go home in a couple of days, their parents will cover their costs, probably sue the organizers and their lives will return to normal after a couple of days of inconvenience. And the refugees will continue to live for years in this environment, be denied access to a safe country because the rich people of America wanted Trump in power and eek out an existence.

So yeah, I will ridicule them and just hope that this weekend can teach these kids anything about hardship and what others in the world feel on a day-to-day basis. I just don't think that will ever happen.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Because refugees exist we should enjoy even the slightest pain a rich kid experiences?

lol, alright. I get the humour of some things that are happening (that sandwich is so bad you gotta laugh... 12G for bread and cheese...) but I'll take no pleasure or victory out of people being robbed, scammed, and assaulted.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
I'm sure it is a terrible situation. Honestly it sounds like life in any number of refugee camps around the world.
Can't get behind that analogy... Still much better than refugee camps. These people appear to have suffered through bread and cheese for dinner, not having their luggage or tents and having flights delayed.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What do you mean? They had to drink water that was not lightly carbonated and had lemon juice squeezed into it by the sanitized hands of a virgin who has been surgically blinded so that they can't put their eyes on them?

And the sleeping bags were probably unacceptable they probably weren't 300 thread count having been woven by rare Albino spiders.

Some of them couldn't believe they had to walk to the concert area in actual mud they were told that their feet were going to be protected by a rolling side walk made up of people who are grateful to make 25 cents a day and bask under their feet.

the humanity.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This breaks my heart.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #32
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Because refugees exist we should enjoy even the slightest pain a rich kid experiences?

lol, alright. I get the humour of some things that are happening (that sandwich is so bad you gotta laugh... 12G for bread and cheese...) but I'll take no pleasure or victory out of people being robbed, scammed, and assaulted.
Oh no, I agree with the last part absolutely. There is no joy in people getting mugged or beaten.

The humour and ridicule I get is the same that you are talking about. The meals, the ball pool, the outrageous calls for help based on living on the basic necessities. There are also pictures showing security is around, there is a health/first aid tent. I guess I am focused more on the cries of how terrible it is when really it is the reality of life (and a better life than many) around the world. Oh god I need to drink Dasani because there is no Fiji left! But you are right, there is no joy to be had from people attacked and robbed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Can't get behind that analogy... Still much better than refugee camps. These people appear to have suffered through bread and cheese for dinner, not having their luggage or tents and having flights delayed.
I guess that was kind of my kind of my point, but as far as I know most UN camps are still safer and better equipped than this mess.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #33
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Imagine rich people laughed at the middle class if they paid a bunch of money to go an event and got treated like barn yard animals....... There would be riots in the streets.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM   #34
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Part of the reason people are enjoying the hell out of this is the expected outcomes. We know that trust fund babies have rich daddies with expensive lawyers that are going to sue Ja Rule and other organizers into the ground. And for similar reasons, authorities in the Bahamas will take this seriously.

So far, the crimes that we are aware of are really just crimes of inconvenience - they have to get a wire transfer of new money and a new passport. It sucks, but lets face it: They are going to be made whole in a day or two. This is a considerably different outcome than what we can expect with real, legitimate refugees or with people who are not so well off when they get scammed.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does PepsiFree have any fun ever?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Does PepsiFree have any fun ever?
I don't think so. You two would get along very well in that regard.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #37
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think so. You two would get along very well in that regard.
I would never claim to be a fun guy because once you do so, you cease being fun immediately.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #38
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Whadaya mean? He's going sockless today. Sockless!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #39
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Whadaya mean? He's going sockless today. Sockless!
Let's be clear. It was unintentional.

Anyway, how can anyone not laugh at this ridiculous thing? It is perfect schadenfreude. No one died. Some wallets were stolen. Tons of entitled brats get to complain on social media.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I would never claim to be a fun guy because once you do so, you cease being fun immediately.
Nobody would believe you ever were in the first place, don't worry.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote