Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2019, 11:00 PM   #21
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Flying in to Rome June 30th. What's the best thing to do to ensure cell coverage while there? We have iPhone X's.
Have it on.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:02 AM   #22
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Thanks to all.
We'll spend about 24 hrs near Gatwick before heading out to Amsterdam. I'll venture out to find an EE card, possibly find a Carphone warehouse.
Again, Thanks

If you go into Crawley, there's a mall there that will have pretty much every option for SIM cards you'd want (EE, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, etc.).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:01 AM   #23
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have had good experiences with Carphone Wrehouse in the UK. They’ll be able to give you the best plan from a variety of providers.

When I was in Italy this last summer, I ended up getting a Vodafone sim because that was the first company’s store that I stumbled across. It cost about 25€ and included text and voice and I think about 3 gigs or something. It was more expensive that I expected, but still cheaper than using Fido’s daily roaming thing. We were streaming music throughout the South, often in fairly rural areas, and never had an issue with the network.

Speaking with Fido Roam and other providers “roam like home” plans... I had always kept data roaming off when travelling, and knew that texts and calls were a la carte. If I had to send a quick text or make a call (before getting a local sim), it would cost $0.75 or $1/minute, which is robbery, but expected.

Fido was kind enough to switch me to the $12/day option, I didn’t see the email of them doing this, and I fired off a single text upon arrival. Then my phone B sent an iMessage activation text in the background the next day. Then I smashed phone A and had to swap sims, so phone A sent an iMessage activation text on day 3. For a total of 3 text messages over 3 days, two of which I didn’t technically even send myself, Fido charged me $36.

The charges were eventually reversed, but Fido dug in a bit more than expected.

So if you don’t plan on using roaming from your Canadian plan, double check with your provider because even a single text can get you rolling on an entire day of roaming for $12 (and not the expected 0.75 a la carte rate), and you may not have even sent that text yourself because of iMessage activation.

That being said, $12 isn’t bad for your first day to help you get oriented and find a local sim. If I had known that my single text had triggered a day of roaming, I would’ve used it and not complained. The two iMessage activation texts were frustrating, however, so if you’re swapping phone and putting your Canadian sim into another phone, do it before you leave to avoid it sending a text on the foreign network.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
If you go into Crawley, there's a mall there that will have pretty much every option for SIM cards you'd want (EE, O2, Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse, etc.).
Thanks. This is perfect, we'll be staying one night in Crawley after heading out to Amsterdam.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:27 AM   #25
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I mean I picked up a 20 gb sim good for 30 days for like 20 euro. Was an extra $10 for talk and text. So in 4 days you’re already paying more on the roam like home.
I do agree with what you're saying. I was happier before the increased the rates and caps. Previously, US was $7/day and basically everywhere else was $10. Now it's $8 in the US and $12 everywhere else. They've also raised the international cap to $150 from $100.

I also think it's a bit weak that they charge for Mexico the same way they'd charge for the UK. It really should be lumped in with the US. I mean it's still North America for crying out loud.

Hopefully competition for roaming becomes a thing.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #26
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The biggest issue is whether or not there's any advantage in using your own number. For me, I'd rather pay the extra than having to deal with the hassle of checking my messages/texts on my number. Depends how long your travelling for too. My trips are typically about a week.
iMessage helps with all that haha.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote