Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #241
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yeah, but remember that great save he made on Ryan's breakaway on Saturday? What a great save.

If he doesn't make that save, they would have lost 6-2.
Not to mention the glove save he made inside the ne.... oh wait.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:00 AM   #242
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatron View Post
I saw this briefly at work and thought it was 4.5M over 3 years, not 4.5M per for 3 years.

What a gong show. It's like watching Trump... every time you think you've seen it all, he does something even more stupid.

And to think the clowns (Klowe and MacT) are giving approvals for this, they are even bigger fools than we give them credit for.

Hopefully the 6x6 Chiasson signing is next.
I have a feeling Chiasson is going to test UFA and likely walk. He’s shown enough that he’s a worthwhile guy to have and he’ll go somewhere better for less money. Oilers will be looking for more PTOs next year to fill their many holes.

He’s smart enough to not get locked in there long term.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:56 AM   #243
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I have a feeling Chiasson is going to test UFA and likely walk. He’s shown enough that he’s a worthwhile guy to have and he’ll go somewhere better for less money. Oilers will be looking for more PTOs next year to fill their many holes.

I hope you're right, because I still sort of like Chiasson, and it would be sad to see him getting completely engrained in Oilers culture. I won't hold it against him that he clinged on to the Oilers as a PTO and use his elevated role on that horrible team to get himself to a better position in his carreer. The guy was very nearly out of the league after all. Also, it would be fantastic to watch the Oilers and their fans react to losing basically their one and only feel-good story of the season walk away for nothing.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 AM   #244
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Relocating from Edmonton to Winnipeg is more of a lateral move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’d say it’s a small upgrade. It’s still not ideal, Winnipeg sucks, but it’s definitely better than Edmonton, even if only slightly. Also at least Winnipeg has a good team.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 AM   #245
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy, I guess Chiarelli must have really liked that save.

A lot.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:19 AM   #246
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find it hilarious the way the Oilers seem to go out of their way to turn good things bad.

I mean, Koskinen is basically the closest thing to a hit their scouting has come in a good while. They actually found a perfectly serviceable NHL level goaltender from outside the league. Sure they had to pay him a bit more than they liked, but Koskinen was likely drawing a decent salary already in the KHL, and it wasn't in any way an outrageous overpayment. (Also, moving from St. Petersburg to Edmonton has to cost extra. St. Petersburg is a pretty nice city, and relatively close to home for Koskinen.)

So of course they have to start outrageously overpaying him. Outside of, idk, breaking his knees, it's really the best way to turn a good thing into crap.

So yes, eagerly awaiting what they're going to pay Chiasson!

Last edited by Itse; 01-22-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM   #247
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post

He a bubble NHLer getting his stats fluffed. If he gets a contract that is worth more than his open market value with term you take it Edmonton or not.

That's the smart play.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #248
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
He a bubble NHLer getting his stats fluffed. If he gets a contract that is worth more than his open market value with term you take it Edmonton or not.

That's the smart play.
3m x 5 seems good for chassion get errr done chia
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #249
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
This doesn't work unless you tell everyone the number you're thinking.
Since this is a Koskinen thread I'd prefer not to get into it here, but just to humor you. I've already stated what I think he could've gotten had he signed early on in the month and what he ends up getting will depend completely on how he performs here on out. For instance, he could get big number if he gets nominated for the Vezina and carries the team to the Stanley Cup.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 AM   #250
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Since this is a Koskinen thread I'd prefer not to get into it here, but just to humor you. I've already stated what I think he could've gotten had he signed early on in the month and what he ends up getting will depend completely on how he performs here on out. For instance, he could get big number if he gets nominated for the Vezina and carries the team to the Stanley Cup.
Yeah of course that's what happens. What would you rather have though? A goalie with a team friendly cap hit and not win a Stanley cup, or win a Stanley cup then have to pay the goalie?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 AM   #251
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Oilers were already overpaying Koskinen at $2.5 million for this year, and he wasn't going down, so the DeSmith and Saros examples were never going to fly. But I just can't see how you couldn't get Koskinen on a 2-year, $6-7 million deal if you're Edmonton. Still a modest raise, still gives him the #1 job, and manages your cap space better.

Just Chia/Lowe/MacTavish/K. Gretzky things.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM   #252
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Scott Darling had years of NHL experience.
Yes and Martin Jones had 34 games of total experience to Koskinen's 31 when the Sharks threw a 1st round pick at him and anointed him as the future starter. All that really matters is if a team and their scouts have determined that a guy can be the team's future starter.

I guess the Oilers have liked what they've seen through all his pro hockey experience and they've decided that out of all the options that will be available to them in July, he'll be the best starting option for them going forward at that price. Really, if he plays 60 games for them next season, is $4.5M really a ridiculous sum of money?

I mean, the guy was already making $2.5M this season on a prove me deal. So after a successful stint, they re-sign him to a multi-year deal where he gets a $2M raise paying him through his UFA years. This is not that outrageous. They were just paying Talbot a comparable amount and Koskinen has been far better.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #253
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

The Sharks have competent scouts & management making their calls.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:07 AM   #254
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Yeah of course that's what happens. What would you rather have though? A goalie with a team friendly cap hit and not win a Stanley cup, or win a Stanley cup then have to pay the goalie?
Considering how tight our cap situation is next year, I'd rather they jump out ahead and make the deal early. The Flames have Tkachuk, Rittich and Bennett to sign with limited cap space. Good thing is, David Rittich is an RFA, so the threat of the open market isn't as big of an issue.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #255
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

It's a weird time to commit to him, but as his play began to rise and Talbot's began to seriously decline, this move was inevitable. Talbot signed a similar deal back in 2016 to be a number one in Edmonton, after spending most of his pro career as a backup (albeit a decent backup).

Honestly for a starting goalie who has a #### defense and one-dimensional forward corps - not to mention having to pay a premium just to actually live in Edmonton - this isn't the worst signing.

It's going to be more hilarious what Alex Chiasson will get playing inflated minutes and scoring goals with McDavid as his chassis.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #256
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The acquisition cost of Martin Jones as a way to validate Koskinen's contract doesn't add up.

Jones was a 25 year old emerging number one goaltender with a strong resume dating back to junior.

If the Sharks weren't willing to pay a 1st for him someone else would have. Koskinen, I'm not sure he gets north of $3 Million on the open market.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #257
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The Oilers were already overpaying Koskinen at $2.5 million for this year, and he wasn't going down, so the DeSmith and Saros examples were never going to fly. But I just can't see how you couldn't get Koskinen on a 2-year, $6-7 million deal if you're Edmonton. Still a modest raise, still gives him the #1 job, and manages your cap space better.

Just Chia/Lowe/MacTavish/K. Gretzky things.

I don't get why it couldn't go down

Were teams lining up to sign a 30 year old backup for more then 2.5 million?

If anything this year has seen a lot of good young goalies emerge and team will be more willing to trust younger goalies.

What team do you think would have paid him more then 2.5 on the open market?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:35 AM   #258
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It's a weird time to commit to him, but as his play began to rise and Talbot's began to seriously decline, this move was inevitable. Talbot signed a similar deal back in 2016 to be a number one in Edmonton, after spending most of his pro career as a backup (albeit a decent backup).

Honestly for a starting goalie who has a #### defense and one-dimensional forward corps - not to mention having to pay a premium just to actually live in Edmonton - this isn't the worst signing.

It's going to be more hilarious what Alex Chiasson will get playing inflated minutes and scoring goals with McDavid as his chassis.
This is one I'm more interested in seeing. My hope is he hits the 30 mark, the Oilers miss the playoffs, they end up having to pay him big and then he regresses back to what he's been in the past.

The guy has never had a big pay day before, so my guess is, he's going to want a "good" long term deal since he'll be turning 29 this year and it might be his last chance to get it.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #259
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Yes and Martin Jones had 34 games of total experience to Koskinen's 31 when the Sharks threw a 1st round pick at him and anointed him as the future starter. All that really matters is if a team and their scouts have determined that a guy can be the team's future starter.

I guess the Oilers have liked what they've seen through all his pro hockey experience and they've decided that out of all the options that will be available to them in July, he'll be the best starting option for them going forward at that price. Really, if he plays 60 games for them next season, is $4.5M really a ridiculous sum of money?

I mean, the guy was already making $2.5M this season on a prove me deal. So after a successful stint, they re-sign him to a multi-year deal where he gets a $2M raise paying him through his UFA years. This is not that outrageous. They were just paying Talbot a comparable amount and Koskinen has been far better.
So one comparable out, move on to the next one, eh? Well, Jones had (a) a ton of AHL experience; (b) 2 PO appearances which weren't included in your totals; (c) was 25, so a multi-year contract made more sense; (d) was signed for $3M, not 4.5. He was also stuck behind Quick, so his NHL totals game were deflated. On any other team he'd have played a lot more.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #260
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I don't get why it couldn't go down

Were teams lining up to sign a 30 year old backup for more then 2.5 million?

If anything this year has seen a lot of good young goalies emerge and team will be more willing to trust younger goalies.

What team do you think would have paid him more then 2.5 on the open market?
The Oilers were likely only bidding against SKA St. Petersburgh. I don't think anyone in the NHL was going to offer more than 1B money.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote