Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2019, 03:40 PM   #21
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You know when you discover something that you had no idea existed? Something so weird that you could not imagine more than 2 people would be into. That is what I'm experiencing right now.

No offense intended but this is so tacky and strange I can't wrap my head around it.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #22
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
You know when you discover something that you had no idea existed? Something so weird that you could not imagine more than 2 people would be into. That is what I'm experiencing right now.

No offense intended but this is so tacky and strange I can't wrap my head around it.
None taken, Christmas lights aren't for everyone.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

We have two houses on our street with these lights. I like them.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 07:21 PM   #24
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

WE have a house on our street that has these and I think they are very cool. If for no other reason than I don't have to take down and put up christmas lights. Even if they are off for 10 months of the year it would be worth it to me but I like the idea of having "theme" lights as well.

Please keep this updated.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #25
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone else on CP interested in giving it a go? I have been researching a lot on the DIY side of things and it would be great to struggle through with others and learn from each other. Not to hyjack this thread but do we want to make it dedicated to outdoor led projects or we can start a new thread if there is interest.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:14 PM   #26
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would appreciate that.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #27
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been interested in these, i was just looking to install under our deck railing. I had an outlet pre-wired on a switch for this purpose, and thought it would be pretty easy to just daisy chain as many strips as i need, but then started to find out you need to calculate a certain number of strips per transformer, and i basically gave up. Would love to hear about what you buy, and how you install...
Old 01-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #28
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Anyone else on CP interested in giving it a go? I have been researching a lot on the DIY side of things and it would be great to struggle through with others and learn from each other. Not to hyjack this thread but do we want to make it dedicated to outdoor led projects or we can start a new thread if there is interest.

I'd be interested in any resources you have.
I went with the Costco GE Colorwave this year, which is a terrible product.

A year round permanent solution is what I'm after, esp is I can DIY.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have lights like that under my kitchen counters. I love changing them depending on mood and whatever holiday is going on. Couple the under-counter lights with the Hue lights I have and we can make a lot of colours inside the house and set awesome vibes.

I looked into the outdoor ones when I did my soffits last year, but I just don't really like it on the outside. Hard to say why, but I don't think it looks very classy, though I'm sure some people think that with the coloured light craziness I have going on inside my house.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #30
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I have lights like that under my kitchen counters. I love changing them depending on mood and whatever holiday is going on. Couple the under-counter lights with the Hue lights I have and we can make a lot of colours inside the house and set awesome vibes.

I looked into the outdoor ones when I did my soffits last year, but I just don't really like it on the outside. Hard to say why, but I don't think it looks very classy, though I'm sure some people think that with the coloured light craziness I have going on inside my house.
What about gemstone? Unlike a solid LED strip it looks less like a business on the outside.

Old 01-21-2019, 03:54 PM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those just look like Christmas lights. Everyone will think you are the guy who is to lazy to take them down in May.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #32
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Those just look like Christmas lights. Everyone will think you are the guy who is to lazy to take them down in May.
But if you leave them off:

they look like pot lights in your frame
Old 01-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I don't know. Maybe once it becomes more common I'll get used to it, but right now it seems like the house equivalent of going to Canadian Tire and buying a bunch of car accessories (hub caps, decals, cigarette lighter plug-in light bar, steering wheel cover, Tasmanian Devil floor mats, etc.) and thinking you have a custom car.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #34
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. Maybe once it becomes more common I'll get used to it, but right now it seems like the house equivalent of going to Canadian Tire and buying a bunch of car accessories (hub caps, decals, cigarette lighter plug-in light bar, steering wheel cover, Tasmanian Devil floor mats, etc.) and thinking you have a custom car.
I so very rarely disagree with you and yet.. here we are. I think it's just wonderful.

I also don't want my new neighbours to hate me though
Old 01-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #35
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Maybe it is wonderful. I have looked into it myself, so we at least started on the same page. I definitely wouldn't hate you for doing this if I were your neighbour. And if it looks crappy, it's not like you can't just leave them off 99% of the time and just turn them onto green for St. Patty's, red for Valentines & Canada Day, green/red for Christmas, etc. As an everyday thing, it's a bit much (IMO), but I think I get the appeal.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #36
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe it is wonderful. I have looked into it myself, so we at least started on the same page. I definitely wouldn't hate you for doing this if I were your neighbour. And if it looks crappy, it's not like you can't just leave them off 99% of the time and just turn them onto green for St. Patty's, red for Valentines & Canada Day, green/red for Christmas, etc. As an everyday thing, it's a bit much (IMO), but I think I get the appeal.

Yeah it would only be for Christmas, and, special days like St Pattys Canada Day and Jets playoffs (which im sure 99% of my neighbours wont know the context of lol).

Last edited by White Out 403; 01-21-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:55 PM   #37
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok it’s settled I will start a new thread in tech talk forum for Christmas/outdoor led lighting. That way we can keep this thread about installation services and that side of things and the other can be for any other nerds who want to follow me down the led Christmas lighting rabbit hole.

Gemstone is what the guy on my street must have. I didn’t know about them thanks for posting. They do look classy but I want to go big
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 05:03 PM   #38
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Ok it’s settled I will start a new thread in tech talk forum for Christmas/outdoor led lighting. That way we can keep this thread about installation services and that side of things and the other can be for any other nerds who want to follow me down the led Christmas lighting rabbit hole.

Gemstone is what the guy on my street must have. I didn’t know about them thanks for posting. They do look classy but I want to go big
Do it, make the thread. I'm not allowed on a ladder since I fell off a few Christmas' back but I can prob be allowed to do my deck lol
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #39
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya I have one tall peak that I will need to figure out how to put the track on using a ladder rest is pretty low. From looking at the gemstone video it is pretty much same idea as what I will be going for. I might get them to come out and do a quote to see what the actual hardware and cost is. Pro to using them is the app and controller working easily together. I had assumed that they weren’t doing individually assigned smart leds but they are. If the controller can be connected into a lightning program could be a good way to do the hard roof outline and do props and the rest using other cheaper stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:25 PM   #40
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those Gemstone lights look nice.

Based on their video, they seem to be a local company too. Anyone know where the block of houses with the lights installed is?