Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2021, 12:19 PM   #7741
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I think Nose Hill Park might be one of the only parks in the world that looks better in Google Maps than on Google Earth. The idea of a large swatch of untouched nature in the middle of a city is great, but not when that particular swatch of nature is so ugly and boring
I really don't get the resistance in developing Nose Hill park, where it can be like Calgary's version of Central Park or something. Turn it into another great tourist attraction for Calgary, where you have this really nice park in the middle of city that you can see downtown in the distance. There's so much wasted potential. It just looks like a piece of unkept farmland from the outside, and it's such a waste of a prime location. Is there some sort of clause saying we can never upkeep it? Because right now, it's just an ugly piece of land sitting in the middle of the city.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:23 PM   #7742
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The nimbys would never allow it. Any development of Nose Hill, either as a better park or something else, would be fiercely opposed by any and all residents in neighbouring communities. They actually like it that the park has limited attraction, keeps the traffic down. Plus it helps congregate all the worst dog people in the NW, so it isn't all bad.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #7743
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
The nimbys would never allow it. Any development of Nose Hill, either as a better park or something else, would be fiercely opposed by any and all residents in neighbouring communities. They actually like it that the park has limited attraction, keeps the traffic down. Plus it helps congregate all the worst dog people in the NW, so it isn't all bad.
They should introduce more coyotes to Nose Hill. I know some roam around there from time to time, but really pack them in.

Good way to control the dog population.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #7744
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only change they should make to Nose Hill is to ban dogs. I absolutely love that I can hop on my bike and do some decent riding whenever I feel like it, in a place that often feels like the middle of a prairie, while still being right in the city.

Are there some improvements they could do? Sure. Remove all the asphalt, for one. Return their failed attempts at gravel pathways to natural ones. Clean up the gravel pit areas, maybe create some watering holes. It doesn't need much. It's nice to have a natural park that isn't screwed up by over-eager urban designers.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #7745
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Oh man, know what would be rad? A friggen lake on it. Like Sikome, but not as gross. I guess I don't super care because the NW seems hellbent on being the actual worst while pretending they're one of the better quadrants, but that would be so nice for all the people around there to have a nice lake to go to.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #7746
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The only change they should make to Nose Hill is to ban dogs. I absolutely love that I can hop on my bike and do some decent riding whenever I feel like it, in a place that often feels like the middle of a prairie, while still being right in the city.

Are there some improvements they could do? Sure. Remove all the asphalt, for one. Return their failed attempts at gravel pathways to natural ones. Clean up the gravel pit areas, maybe create some watering holes. It doesn't need much. It's nice to have a natural park that isn't screwed up by over-eager urban designers.
But it's only like you and eight other guys that actually use the park. It's just not fun or a nice place to spend time for most people.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #7747
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
But it's only like you and eight other guys that actually use the park. It's just not fun or a nice place to spend time for most people.
The parking lots are packed literally all the time on nice days. Even more than fish creek.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #7748
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The parking lots are packed literally all the time on nice days. Even more than fish creek.
I think I'll stick with my pre-conceived notions about nose hill park's usage, thank you very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:34 PM   #7749
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I could reduce it down to only 8 others, that'd really be my happy place.

It's actually quite busy up there.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:43 PM   #7750
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This is like one of those “tell me…” memes.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #7751
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be curious how much parking there is in total. There's what, 4 lots? Shag, JL and the two on 14th st (stoner lookout and 64th).

Of those only Shag is reasonably big and if memory serves a lot of people hang near that entrance with their dogs.

It just seems to me that we can do better than a giant toiletbowl for dogs where they can run around. I feel like we could accomplish the same thing using about 1/100th the land.

I think they could do a lot to improve it for walking/running/biking/hiking.

I will admit that I'm biased though. I have never understood the reverence for nose hill. There are so many better parks in this city that take up a lot less space and are better designed and utilized.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 12:55 PM   #7752
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It needs to be improved for running? It’s fine the way it is.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #7753
RichieRich
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cecil - those are the official parking areas. There are a number of well used access points for those on foot and bike. But by far that Shag parking lot has the highest usage and crowded path areas (not to mention squishy landmines)

As Fuzz says… some of the development plans resulted in “upgrades” which included gravelling well used paths (which became dangerous washouts), a lot of pavement (which required about a 20 foot right of way plowed in by heavy equipment), and between these two mostly undesired additions drove a lot of walkers to create or increase usage of natural trails (which are also used by mountain bikers).

Although I do wish the old gravel pit was reclaimed it’s probably best left as is because at this point the city would likely choose a big parking lot and manicure the entire area.

So while not a spectacular park nor tailored for entertainment (ie ponds and swings and seats and signage), it’s the more rustic and natural aspect that appeals to most users.
RichieRich is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #7754
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be curious how much parking there is in total. There's what, 4 lots? Shag, JL and the two on 14th st (stoner lookout and 64th).

Of those only Shag is reasonably big and if memory serves a lot of people hang near that entrance with their dogs.

It just seems to me that we can do better than a giant toiletbowl for dogs where they can run around. I feel like we could accomplish the same thing using about 1/100th the land.

I think they could do a lot to improve it for walking/running/biking/hiking.

I will admit that I'm biased though. I have never understood the reverence for nose hill. There are so many better parks in this city that take up a lot less space and are better designed and utilized.
Oh, they tried. They put up rusty metal trail markers, made poor quality trails in the wrong places, and tried to shut good ones down. They've spent years making stupid decisions, implemented by people who don't know how to build a trail. Just leave it be. The less they mess with it, the better.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #7755
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For Nose hill, the areas that border the roads are kinda rough, but there's a lot of nice areas in the inner area. Planting some variety of large trees and shrubs along the fences might significantly improve the overall look of the green space.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #7756
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can only assume that's cuz there ain't much ta do up in da north.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 09-15-2021 at 02:28 PM.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #7757
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At Rona..."I'm looking for landscape spikes, could you tell me where to find them?"

"Oh, ya, we had some at the start of the summer, but they sold out pretty quick."

Mother####er, order more! Poorly run stores GMG.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #7758
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At Rona..."I'm looking for landscape spikes, could you tell me where to find them?"

"Oh, ya, we had some at the start of the summer, but they sold out pretty quick."

Mother####er, order more! Poorly run stores GMG.

Like the rebar ones or the long galvanized spikes?
Old 09-15-2021, 06:29 PM   #7759
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Like the rebar ones or the long galvanized spikes?
Long galvanized, like big nails.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #7760
PaperBagger'14
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 09-15-2021 at 06:50 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote