Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2024, 06:22 PM   #41
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Conroy just completed one the most significant in-season sell offs in NHL history.

Nikita Zadorov, Elias Lindholm, Chris Tanev, and Noah Hanifin all traded in one season with futures at the core of all of the trades.

What more do you expect them to do?

It sounds like we're still moving towards trading Markstrom in the Summer, and then we're right back at it with a few more pending UFAs to sell - and who knows what else.
The only other thing they really could of done is sell Marsktrom or some wingers.

The teams in a really awkward spot that I dint love. Selling the UFAs was a step in the right direction though
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:11 PM   #42
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

It sounds like we're still moving towards trading Markstrom in the Summer, and then we're right back at it with a few more pending UFAs to sell - and who knows what else.
I wonder what Mangiapane and Kuzmenko would fetch?
Old 03-08-2024, 08:34 PM   #43
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Baguettes and borscht?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:36 PM   #44
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
I like Kuzmenko more than Mangiapane at the moment. But both might rebound next season.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:43 PM   #45
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

New trade speculation thread! Can’t wait for the inevitable Markstrom summer trade
Old 03-08-2024, 08:48 PM   #46
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I need to know what the monkey ironing a shirt gif was all about

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 08:58 PM   #47
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Calgary, player trades team!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:07 PM   #48
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
The teams in a really awkward spot that I dint love. Selling the UFAs was a step in the right direction though
Well, they do have nine more contracts expiring at the end of next season. I expect several more players to be traded as rentals in the next 12 months.

This is only an awkward spot if you think it's a stopping place. Seems to me it's just a point that the team is moving through on its way to where Conroy wants it to go.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:31 PM   #49
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Well, they do have nine more contracts expiring at the end of next season. I expect several more players to be traded as rentals in the next 12 months.

This is only an awkward spot if you think it's a stopping place. Seems to me it's just a point that the team is moving through on its way to where Conroy wants it to go.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Flames sign a UFA or two as well, to one-year deals with the intention of trading them at the deadline for assets. There are occasionally UFAs trying to chase cups who can't catch on with a contender and sign on with a random team that will try to trade them to a contender at the deadline. It's a great way to get easy assets during a rebuild.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:40 PM   #50
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

We're in a transitory period.

We're a awkward pubescent teenager with acne and a cracking voice.

It will be a couple years of this awkward stage yet.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 10:55 PM   #51
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
I need to know what the monkey ironing a shirt gif was all about

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
I was sent a message from one of my people based in Boston, who said NJD and another team (Retention Team) were working with conroy on a trade for Markstrom again. Said it was close and then followed up with felt it was extremely close, Mercer was never put on the table however - They tried multiple ways to get it done without moving Mercer in the last 10 days. Instead it turns out it was just another attempt to see if conroy was desperate.

This was not a case of the best deal being the initial offer.

I do believe Markstrom had only been approached and consulted on NJD and no other teams. This will get resolved in the summer.

I have a pretty good intel on the whole saga, I just can’t share much but the time will come.

Last edited by Sec214; 03-08-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Sec214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:01 PM   #52
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Where are Sec and Dissentowner? I want gifs and insights NOW!!!!

Insights I sorely lack. Gifs tho:

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 11:06 PM   #53
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
We're in a transitory period.

We're a awkward pubescent teenager with acne and a cracking voice.

It will be a couple years of this awkward stage yet.
Good metaphor.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:41 PM   #54
Caboose
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But that D - is NOT good. To me it's a bottom 10 team, and if Markstrom goes, all bets are off.
It's hilarious to me that the Flames sold 3 of their top six D, picked up two from waivers, got a couple more maybes from trades, and STILL have a much, much better defense than the Oilers.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caboose For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 04:45 AM   #55
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
It's hilarious to me that the Flames sold 3 of their top six D, picked up two from waivers, got a couple more maybes from trades, and STILL have a much, much better defense than the Oilers.
If Calgary has a much, much better defence than Edmonton, and a Vezina calibre goalie, why have they given up 17 more goals than Edmonton?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 05:30 AM   #56
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

it's too bad they couldn't solve the goalie logjam. They obviously didn't HAVE to move Markstrom and were right to ask for a ton, bit if you also believe Vladar still has #1 upside AND have a guy like Wolf waiting in the AHL, something has to happen soon enough. If only Fitz had just paid up instead of whining about extortion, but it is what it is ... just have to hope there'll be a good market and competition for Markstrom in the summer.

I guess the most frustrating part to me is that the answer to "where are we?" is still "the mushy middle". Once again, we're not bad enough to draft high, but not good enough to be a playoff team ... it's the Calgary Curse, drafting 15th and going nowhere. Trading Markstrom would have given a much clearer answer as to where this ship is headed, but right now, it just feels like we're treading water. Once again.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 06:02 AM   #57
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's going to be a very interesting summer.

So far Conroy has acquired , what seems to be, defenders to compliment what we were lacking. He seems to like the idea of having defensive pairs that feature one offensive defender and one defensive defender.

For forwards, his acquisitions have been more focused on skill for players in the top 9 and players who can play but are still gritty for the fourth line.

If ever Carolina can't sign Necas this summer, would Conroy attempt to trade for him ? With the prices paid for players lately I can't imagine that the price would be outrageous.

The direction of the team is intriguing, and this is without considering everything that could change between now and the start of next season.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 07:07 AM   #58
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

After seeing all of the trades on deadline day, I continue to feel quite positive about Conroy's work so far, and I'm excited to see what he can do in 2024-2025.

My thoughts on the trades of the 2024 UFAs, in chronological order:

1. Toffoli - home run, because the Flames got a 3rd and a potential 30 goal scorer, who is RH, who recently turned 25 and who has fit in beautifully with his team, for a player who went at the deadline for a 2nd and a 3rd;

2. Zadorov - good trade, because you get two lottery tickets and got rid of a player who wasn't a fit with the team and who was fully compensated by his contract;

3. Lindhom - home run, because relative to the other returns I saw around the trade deadline, a 1st, Brzustewicz, Kuzmenko, Jurmo, and a 4th that could become a 3rd is lots;

4. Tanev - completely fine, because the value appears to be completely fine relative to the other trades made at the TDL, (and because I'm excited by the early reviews from The Scorpion about Grushnikov); and

5. Hanifin - completely fine, because the value appears to be completely fine relative to the other trades made at the TDL.

Also, I hope Conroy can trade Markstrom at the draft for a significant return. Maybe he can get a valuable piece like the Canucks did when they traded Schneider? I'd love Mercer!

Finally, I'd comment that I think Backlund was a good re-signing as Backlund seems to be doing a good job as captain based on how hard the team has played in the midst of adversity.

Last edited by Nelson; 03-09-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:17 AM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Conroy had a hell of a task at the beginning of his term with 6 pending UFAs not counting Kylington. He promised not to walk them to UFA and he managed it without a bad deal among them, despite every other GM knowing Calgary's predicament.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 07:58 AM   #60
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, who are some potential available young centres we can all make random proposals for? Zegras seems to be one of the only ones.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good